How many games does Thad Lewis have to win to remain the starter

johnwalter

How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?

• 3-2 in his next five starts
    • 4-1 in his next five starts
    • 5-0 in his next five starts

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then let's compare apples to apples:

In EJ's third start for this team, on the road, he faced the #6 defense in the NFL, put up 20 points, and lost by a TD while missing on a number of throws and not turning the ball over.

In Thad's third start for this team, on the road, he faced the #12 defense in the NFL, put up 17 points, and lost by 18 while missing on a number of throws and turning the ball over 3 times.

EJ Put up 20 points? The Bills defense intercepted 2 passes in the game, putting the Bills already in field goal range. They had to settle for field goals resulting in 6 of those 20 points. The first time EJ gained a whopping 16 yards, and the next he gained 5 yards before they were forced to kick. And comparing losing by 18 points to the #4 rated QB, 6th rated offense vs the 17th rated offense, #32 rated rookie QB and losing by 7 is not comparing apples to apples.

Granted, Thad is not Franchise QB material, but EJ has still not shown any actual potential in his games either.

EJ Put up 20 points? The Bills defense intercepted 2 passes in the game, putting the Bills already in field goal range. They had to settle for field goals resulting in 6 of those 20 points. The first time EJ gained a whopping 16 yards, and the next he gained 5 yards before they were forced to kick. And comparing losing by 18 points to the #4 rated QB, 6th rated offense vs the 17th rated offense, #32 rated rookie QB and losing by 7 is not comparing apples to apples.

Granted, Thad is not Franchise QB material, but EJ has still not shown any actual potential in his games either.

It absolutely, positively, and in all ways is apples-to-apples.

EJ is the QB, so he's responsible for what happens on offense. Yes, the D produced 2 turnovers in the Jets game. It's the offense's job to turn those into points; field goals are points--points that keep a team in the game long enough to put together a TD drive (with a 2-pt conversion) that tied the game at 20 in the fourth quarter (on the road against one of the best defenses in football).

New Orleans doesn't have the defense that the Jets do; not even close. The team prepared knowing that they were going to see pressure, and it's the QB's job to make the defense pay when they send it. Thad didn't do it, and it lead to the offense producing 17 points. By comparison, Tampa Bay scored 16 against New Orleans' defense; you simply have to do better than that, and the QB is a huge part of it.

You can chalk the difference between the games up to NO having a much better offense, but that would be ignoring the fact that the Jets have a far better defense, which is the side of the ball that each QB has to face.

My overall point is this: the poster to whom I responded seemed to be using the Jets' game as an example of EJ struggling in a similar fashion to Lewis yesterday. I strongly disagree, given that EJ faced a much tougher defense and had the team in contention to win the game in the fourth quarter.

I think EJ would have to show serious regression over his final 5(?) starts of the season.

It would be tough for him to regress since he didn't really show much in his limited action this year. If he doesn't make noticeable progress in his final few starts then it may be on the table. Unfortunately, due to missing the preseason and now a second knee injury derailing his regular season, we really don't know what we have. We can argue both sides validly but we really need to see more snaps.

In either event, I think its highly unlikely that we spend another first or even second rounder on a QB prospect next season.

I think EJ would have to show serious regression over his final 5(?) starts of the season.

I am betting he is soaking up the knowledge and will come back in December as a much better QB. Out on a limb, I am saying he will play very well but we will miss the playoffs due to the losses we are currently accumulating.

It would be tough for him to regress since he didn't really show much in his limited action this year. If he doesn't make noticeable progress in his final few starts then it may be on the table. Unfortunately, due to missing the preseason and now a second knee injury derailing his regular season, we really don't know what we have. We can argue both sides validly but we really need to see more snaps.

In either event, I think its highly unlikely that we spend another first or even second rounder on a QB prospect next season.

True, it'd be faulty to say that he's established himself as "the" guy. I do think he's looked like a guy that has the physical ability to play at a high level, and needs to work on certain things (like getting his feet set before he throws, protecting the football better, etc.).

Either way, I think he'd have to look like a complete train wreck for them to draft another guy early next year.

Now that it seems EJ is safe from Thad Lewis, what would have to happen for us to draft another QB in rd 1 this year?

Our team being complete idiots. Let's draft another guy, who will have struggles, and then look to replace him every year. EJ was progressing fine (5tds to 3 ints). The worst thing in the world is to cut bait too soon on a young QB. That said, if he doesn't show signs of being a franchise guy next year, I have no problems trying to replace him in the 2015 draft.

I strongly disagree. I don't care too much about numbers either. It's just the eye test. I saw all kinds of actual potential from EJM. Definitely an elite athlete that has few physical limitations. I hope he puts it all together. Thad Lewis has shown me more than I thought, but his physical limitations are becoming more obvious. The slow drop back and release, sailing the ball on deeper throws, etc. He's a tough kid and could be a good backup. He will never be an Aaron Rodgers though. EJM looks to me like he could become that type of player. He is not anywhere near a finished product, but he will not be held back by any type of physical limitation. The rest is up to him. Anyone who though he should be the next Andrew Luck, as close to a finished product as the draft has seen in twenty years or so, was not paying attention. He isn't that guy. He could be the franchise guy we've been waiting so long for, we just don't know yet.

Our team being complete idiots. Let's draft another guy, who will have struggles, and then look to replace him every year. EJ was progressing fine (5tds to 3 ints). The worst thing in the world is to cut bait too soon on a young QB. That said, if he doesn't show signs of being a franchise guy next year, I have no problems trying to replace him in the 2015 draft.

Let me rephrase the question. So if you're Whaley, it's draft day 2014, it's your pick, and there's a guy who you think has franchise QB written all over him, you pass on that because why?

Now that it seems EJ is safe from Thad Lewis, what would have to happen for us to draft another QB in rd 1 this year?

You can safely bet that the NFL salary structure, and how much actual playing time it will take to tell if a guy is the franchise or not, would preclude any NFL team from selecting a QB in the 1st round two years in a row. A year or two from now is possible, but I hope not, as it would mean our 15 + year walk in the NFL wilderness continues....

Let me rephrase the question. So if you're Whaley, it's draft day 2014, it's your pick, and there's a guy who you think has franchise QB written all over him, you pass on that because why?

If Andrew Luck were in the 2014 draft, you know, a consensus can't miss once in every 20 years or so type guy, you take him. That guy isn't in the 2014 draft.

Thad's performance and the experience he is gaining mean that the Bills do not have to waste a draft pick on a QB next year. He has proven that he has the ability to be a solid backup; with EJ as the starter and Flynn in the mix (assuming they keep him around), there is no need to draft another. Tuel good for taxi squad.

I am betting he is soaking up the knowledge and will come back in December as a much better QB. Out on a limb, I am saying he will play very well but we will miss the playoffs due to the losses we are currently accumulating.

December? You mean November 10.

Is it an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning clone? Meaning a can't miss prospect. If not, no.

We won't be picking first so there is no chance the Bills will pick the top QB from this draft. Probably not even the top 2 QBs, so that means picking a QB with question marks and watching him struggle.

Is it an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning clone? Meaning a can't miss prospect. If not, no.

We won't be picking first so there is no chance the Bills will pick the top QB from this draft. Probably not even the top 2 QBs, so that means picking a QB with question marks and watching him struggle.

The question wasn't whether we should or shouldn't, but rather, what would have to happen for you to say we should.

I like Thad but hope EJ can come back before the bye. Hopefully his knee heals quickly like it did in preseason. I can see the Bills beating KC on pure emotion but something tells me Thad won't get them to the bye 3-0 even though Pitt and the Jets are nothing special.

Because they love EJ. Whaley has gushed about him on several occasions. He's the QB next year and has shown nothing but promise in his limited time