Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bortles certainly goes after Teddy & most likely Johnny. Teddy is the real deal; he has the best arm talent. He completed 71% of his passes for 4k yards and 31 TDs vs. 4 INTs. He's the guy.

They're fitting him for his uniform in Houston as we speak...I would be seriously surprised if he does not go #1 overall... B-)

It seems like defense is a lost art in college football.

Guys running wide open for both teams.

It's my impression that lots of the bowl games have been like this.

That's why the teams that actually have good defenses like Alabama and LSU win national championships and why Auburn will not

They're fitting him for his uniform in Houston as we speak...I would be seriously surprised if he does not go #1 overall... B-)

He looks like a good QB but he won't be going first to Texans over Bridgewater

Edited by Max997

Looks to me like Bortles needs some seasoning.. well advised to stay in school and spend another year learning nuances of the position. Dudes footwork and mechanics are all over the place, but looks like he possesses some talent

Looks to me like Bortles needs some seasoning.. well advised to stay in school and spend another year learning nuances of the position. Dudes footwork and mechanics are all over the place, but looks like he possesses some talent

Is it just me or does Bortles' playing style resemble Tim Tebow a bit?

I was actually pondering the same thing and now that you mention it, I'm seeing some resemblance. His release is all sorts of wacky. Good observation :)

Edited by Sumin

But he's EJ so he has to be better.

And I don't want to see like I'm hating in this kid. I wish him well. I just hate the mentality of trying to replace a rookie Qb after one year. It's whacked.

To expand the conversation to a more realistic width, who are this year's Andy Dalton, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson, and Nick Foles?

I think that moves things into a very unrealistic area of expectation.

Dalton & Kaepernick were virtually 1st rounders(pick 35 & 36).......and you'll find that Wilson and Foles(assuming that they remain very good QBs) are very much the exeptions to the rule. The rule being that the chances of finding a very good QB ouside of the 1st round(or very top of the 2nd) are extremely slim(vitually non existent).

I think that moves things into a very unrealistic area of expectation.

Dalton & Kaepernick were virtually 1st rounders(pick 35 & 36).......and you'll find that Wilson and Foles(assuming that they remain very good QBs) are very much the exeptions to the rule. The rule being that the chances of finding a very good QB ouside of the 1st round(or very top of the 2nd) are extremely slim(vitually non existent).

True but the cost is also reduced so it's a valid path from a risk-reward standpoint.

And I don't absolve Nix for passing up on Dalton, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

I'll forgive him if EJ pans out though.

True but the cost is also reduced so it's a valid path from a risk-reward standpoint.

And I don't absolve Nix for passing up on Dalton, Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

I'll forgive him if EJ pans out though.

A valid path to what though?

Sad but true.

Now the Rose bowl was awesome, Smashmouth football at it's finest (and Michigan St. won :thumbsup: )

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

To expand the conversation to a more realistic width, who are this year's Andy Dalton, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson, and Nick Foles?

In other words who could the Bills snag in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who would make good developmental prospects and become either a good starter or a good backup a la Frank Reich/Gary Kubiak/Jeff Rutledge?

Wasn't the kid from North Carolina Renner considered a potential first rounder at the beginning of the season?

1. Zach Mettenberger, LSU

Great arm to drive the ball down the field; has improved anticipation and a great release. Can play through punishment.

2. Derek Carr, Fresno State

Quick release makes up for good but not great arm strength. He's highly productive and prepares with passion.

3. AJ McCarron, Alabama

Proven leader and winner, has good arm strength and gives receivers a chance to make plays. Aided by elite talent around him.

4. Aaron Murray, Georgia

Great competitor with accuracy into tight windows against top competition. Not the athlete some might want in a smaller QB.

5. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.)

Very good arm strength, with a deep ball among the best at this level. Can be inconsistent with accuracy and decision-making.

6. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

Has the size of a tight end and a very good arm. Elite measurables and raw talent, but way too susceptible to turnovers.

7. Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

Big, physical, experienced QB with ability to drive the ball into windows. Rising prospect who could shine during draft process.

8. Tajh Boyd, Clemson

Proven performer and leader with ability to make all the throws. Lacks height but moves well and has improved decision-making.

9. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois

Sleeper prospect putting up huge totals at Tony Romo U. Quick release, but not a big arm.

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

Great poise and anticipation, has a good arm but uses great touch and accuracy. Could be the No. 1 pick.

2. *Marcus Mariota, Oregon

Remarkable athlete, he'll draw comparisons to Colin Kaepernick. Not a lock to enter the draft just yet, but a top-5 pick if he does.

3. *Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

One of the all-time great playmakers and improvisers; lacks size but sees the entire field and is a killer on the move.

4. *Brett Hundley, UCLA

Has an elite arm and has shown maturity beyond his years, with great footwork and poise. Could return to UCLA.

5. Bryce Petty, Baylor

More than a system QB, he spreads the ball around -- underneath and on deep throws -- and makes smart decisions.

6. Braxton Miller, Ohio State

Too reliant on his exceptional quickness and ability to escape and extend plays, he has a good arm but must anticipate better.

7. Sean Mannion, Oregon State

Good length to see over the field and has had a highly productive season, although he has struggled against top competition.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10001365/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-updates-list-top-nfl-prospects-every-position

MSU has a real defense. They shut down a good Stanford offense and held them to 13 offensive points.

That's a lie. He hasn't done thing in this game EJ couldn't do. He has 2 tds on screens. But hey, he's a shiny new thing.

How is an opinion a lie?

I didnt realize the only two passes he threw were screens...which by the way EJ has a lot of trouble completing as well

I was referring to a couple of play action rollouts that he completed to a WR heading towards the sidelines...EJ had a lot of trouble this year with similar passes IN MY OPINION

Edited by Max997

I'm glad to hear someone else say this, because I've been thinking the same thing...Certainly he seems to throw better than Tebow, but their styles are similar in many ways.

I really don't understand the hype with this guy. People fall in love with "prototypical 6-4 230 lb guy with mobility", but this rarely translates into NFL success. Guys like Brees, Rogers, and Wilson are highlighting the league, and Brady and Manning are big, but statues. Bortles has potential, absolutely...But what has he done to suggest he deserve 1st round consideration? Nothing IMO. He has very similar traits to EJ Manuel, without any of the proven production. Bortles should stay in school and prove himself, but if he doesn't he would be a project guy.

I really liked Aaron Murray. He's injured but that could be perfect. Pick him late and bury him on IR for a year and then you have a guy ready to challenge for the job if EJ struggles after year two and it avoids a QB controversy . He's a 2nd/ 3rd guy anyhow, why not take a flyer in round 5/6.

we need someone BETTER than EJ........that will only likely happen in the first 3 rounds.

EJ is the 29th ranked QB by passer rating and 30th ranked by Toatal QBR in the league.

the only reason he is ranked so high is because half a dozen backups on other teams, who are better, aren't counted because not enough games played.

i like EJ, but his upside is maybe cracking the Top 20.......that ain't good enough.

Bortles is a junior, as is Bridgewater. Isnt there a concern that these QBs are still kids and have grow some just to be able to play in the NFL?

yes.....

thats part of the reason the bust rate is so high.....

but it's the only way you have a shot at getting lucky........keep picking until you get it right.

getting it right is when you have 2 outstanding QB's.......right now we have 1 mediocre with a little upside (EJ), 1 mediocre with no upside (thad) and 1 never will be mediocre (Tuel).

yes.....

thats part of the reason the bust rate is so high.....

but it's the only way you have a shot at getting lucky........keep picking until you get it right.

getting it right is when you have 2 outstanding QB's.......right now we have 1 mediocre with a little upside (EJ), 1 mediocre with no upside (thad) and 1 never will be mediocre (Tuel).

Love the way you consistently state your opinion as if it's fact.

Kind of like a slot machine?

Sort of. In a slot machine you spend $1000 and finally hit a $500 winner and the $500 you lost could have gotten you groceries and picking QBs you spend first round picks that should have been used on LBs and OLs.

Edited by 4merper4mer