Walking Dead season 4

Kevin

Another good episode last night! Glad I was right about Rick/Carol -- he did what he needed to do and I liked the way it was handled. It will be interesting to see the reaction back at the prison to the news.

Yeah, that was really well handled...and I honestly didn't see that kind of resolution coming at all. I don't think many in the group will react well, assuming that Rick tells them the truth about what she did, and how he handled it. I think many, just like many of the viewers, see Carols' actions as being an necessary evil in this world...how will Herschel react? Didn't Herschel tell Rick that his own kid shot that kid, for no reason? At least Carol had a reason.

Didn't almost feel like Rick banished Carol from the group because he was taken aback by her audacity...like he felt threatened by her strength? The scene where they are in the house, talking to the hippy kids...Rick tells them they will come back to pick them up after they make their rounds...but Carol overrides him and tells them to go out and scavenge too... he looks kind of amused/shock by what she is telling them, kind of overriding him.

Wonder how Darryl react...there seems to have been some implied on-going relationship between he and Carol...but now they seem to be implying something is brewing between he and Mishone. Confusing...I honestly thought that Rick and Mishone would develop some relationship... I have to believe that Carol is back at some point...beyond Rick & Daryl, she is the only character on the show from the beginning, who was given much of a back story.

Anyways, don't want to jinx anything, but just when I was ready to give up on this show, it has been, by far, the most satisfying season so far.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was really well handled...and I honestly didn't see that kind of resolution coming at all. I don't think many in the group will react well, assuming that Rick tells them the truth about what she did, and how he handled it. I think many, just like many of the viewers, see Carols' actions as being an necessary evil in this world...how will Herschel react? Didn't Herschel tell Rick that his own kid shot that kid, for no reason? At least Carol had a reason.

Yeah, it seemed to me just like a question of trust - Carol didn't trust the group to make the right decisions, and Rick didn't trust Carol to come to the group before taking drastic measures. Also, I don't feel like Rick actually forced her to leave, he was just letting her know that he was going tell everyone what happened, and leave it to the group (assuming there was still a group at whatever point they make that decision.)

Didn't almost feel like Rick banished Carol from the group because he was taken aback by her audacity...like he felt threatened by her strength? The scene where they are in the house, talking to the hippy kids...Rick tells them they will come back to pick them up after they make their rounds...but Carol overrides him and tells them to go out and scavenge too... he looks kind of amused/shock by what she is telling them, kind of overriding him.

I don't think Rick is threatened by Carol's strength, I think he sees her as having lost compassion. A major theme throughout the series is Rick trying to maintain his humanity in this inhumane world. He is desperate to instill a sense of morality in Carl and Judith. He sees Carol as a threat to this.

Rick spent his time with Carol evaluating her. He saw too many indications that she had grown cold and was no longer moved by a sense of right and wrong, but merely by what she and those around her had to do to survive. Compassion is integral to the human experience. Those without it are sociopaths. She sent those two hippies out to scavenge supplies as a test of their strength and was not concerned if they came back. When she saw the woman being eaten, she showed no remorse whatsoever. As a former sheriff, I'm sure Rick had seen this lack of empathy before in criminals. Carl showed a similar and disturbing lack of remorse after he shot the kid in the woods last season and in other instances.

Rick's purpose in life is to keep his family safe and to give his son (and daughter) a reason to live beyond just staying alive. The questions he asks when vetting potential group members are as much about the morality they will bring to the group as they are about how safe he feels around them.

How many walkers have you killed? He asks this because he believes that as necessary as killing walkers is, it is very similar to killing humans and can lead to a lack of respect for human life.

How many humans have you killed?

Why? It shows that Rick still understands there may be a good reason for having to kill in this post apocalyptic world.

It's interesting to note that Rick doesn't need to ask Carol these questions because he knows the answers.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I don't think Rick is threatened by Carol's strength, I think he sees her as having lost compassion. A major theme throughout the series is Rick trying to maintain his humanity in this inhumane world. He is desperate to instill a sense of morality in Carl and Judith. He sees Carol as a threat to this.

Rick spent his time with Carol evaluating her. He saw too many indications that she had grown cold and was no longer moved by a sense of right and wrong, but merely by what she and those around her had to do to survive. Compassion is integral to the human experience. Those without it are sociopaths. She sent those two hippies out to scavenge supplies as a test of their strength and was not concerned if they came back. When she saw the woman being eaten, she showed no remorse whatsoever. As a former sheriff, I'm sure Rick had seen this lack of empathy before in criminals. Carl showed a similar and disturbing lack of remorse after he shot the kid in the woods last season and in other instances.

Rick's purpose in life is to keep his family safe and to give his son (and daughter) a reason to live beyond just staying alive. The questions he asks when vetting potential group members are as much about the morality they will bring to the group as they are about how safe he feels around them.

How many walkers have you killed? He asks this because he believes that as necessary as killing walkers is, it is very similar to killing humans and can lead to a lack of respect for human life.

How many humans have you killed?

Why? It shows that Rick still understands there may be a good reason for having to kill in this post apocalyptic world.

It's interesting to note that Rick doesn't need to ask Carol these questions because he knows the answers.

I suppose you are right...but as harsh as Carols' actions were, I still don't think she has been portrayed as a person without compassion. His handling of Carol, and his own son, and the disparity in their "punishment" (you can't play with guns for a while VS. you are out there on your own) is sure not to go over well with some...but I suppose that is the core of drama! It seems, in some ways, Carol has become a more functional version of what Shane had become early on. Somebody willing to do the dirty work, as they saw it needing to be done.

Either way, I liked the way it was handled...been a very good season so far.

I suppose you are right...but as harsh as Carols' actions were, I still don't think she has been portrayed as a person without compassion. His handling of Carol, and his own son, and the disparity in their "punishment" (you can't play with guns for a while VS. you are out there on your own) is sure not to go over well with some...but I suppose that is the core of drama! It seems, in some ways, Carol has become a more functional version of what Shane had become early on. Somebody willing to do the dirty work, as they saw it needing to be done.

Either way, I liked the way it was handled...been a very good season so far.

When you say that it won't go over well with some, do you mean viewers or other characters on the show? If it is other characters, does anyone other than Herschel even know about that Carl incident? Either way, I'd call that one a much more sensible case of self-defense than what Carol did. There's a whole lot of gray area with that one. No one knows for sure whether or not that kid was going to try something. With Carol, no matter what her reasoning, we still know what the outcome was going to be. Whether she killed them or not, the flu was still going to spread.

When you say that it won't go over well with some, do you mean viewers or other characters on the show? If it is other characters, does anyone other than Herschel even know about that Carl incident? Either way, I'd call that one a much more sensible case of self-defense than what Carol did. There's a whole lot of gray area with that one. No one knows for sure whether or not that kid was going to try something. With Carol, no matter what her reasoning, we still know what the outcome was going to be. Whether she killed them or not, the flu was still going to spread.

Yeah, I was referring mostly to Herschel. Just for the sake of drama, could it become a wedge issue between Darryl and Rick?

Edited by Buftex

It'll be interesting to see if Carol comes across the governor on her travels. I mentioned this thought to a friend, and he pointed out that Carol and the governor have never seen each other. This opens up the possibility of Carol innocently mentioning to him that things weren't going so hot with her former group at the prison...

It'll be interesting to see if Carol comes across the governor on her travels. I mentioned this thought to a friend, and he pointed out that Carol and the governor have never seen each other. This opens up the possibility of Carol innocently mentioning to him that things weren't going so hot with her former group at the prison...

I feel like the eye patch might tip her off a bit though. The thought would at least have to cross her mind if she comes across anyone with an eye patch. Surely someone at the prison would have at least mentioned that.

Great episode last night. This season is my favorite so far.

Great writing

Agreed, although I'm cringing at how they are going to re-introduce the Governor. That plot line has been the weakest of all thus far.

I'm loving this season so far. I'm wondering if anyone else feels that the lack of Andrea has vastly improved the show. In a show full of phenomenal performances, the actress who played Andrea stood out like a toothbrush in a bag of Halloween candy. Her odd facial expressions and overacting would often take me out of the show. I haven't experienced any of that so far this year. I will giver her credit for one thing. Let's just say there was a scene where they focused on her putting her pants on from behind. Hominahominahomina.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I'm loving this season so far. I'm wondering if anyone else feels that the lack of Andrea has vastly improved the show. In a show full of phenomenal performances, the actress who played Andrea stood out like a toothbrush in a bag of Halloween candy. Her odd facial expressions and overacting would often take me out of the show. I haven't experienced any of that so far this year. I will giver her credit for one thing. Let's just say there was a scene where they focused on her putting her pants on from behind. Hominahominahomina.

I agree. I always found Andrea to be very awkward and thought the acting was bismal.

I have to say, I am stunned by the level of improved writing this season, so far. I was really kind of dreading the return of the governer (I really hated that whole story line, and just did not "feel" the character at all), but this weeks episode was really engrossing. It seems like there has been a real emphasis on fleshing out the characters, which wasn't really a priority before....I am still thinking Carol is going to be back at some point...she was one of the few characters, prior to this season, who had any sort of real back-story early on...from the looks of next week though, looks like another governor-centric episose...no sighting of Rick and co...

I have to say, I am stunned by the level of improved writing this season, so far. I was really kind of dreading the return of the governer (I really hated that whole story line, and just did not "feel" the character at all), but this weeks episode was really engrossing. It seems like there has been a real emphasis on fleshing out the characters, which wasn't really a priority before....I am still thinking Carol is going to be back at some point...she was one of the few characters, prior to this season, who had any sort of real back-story early on...from the looks of next week though, looks like another governor-centric episose...no sighting of Rick and co...

This one probably will be the classic case of building up a character right before you kill him off. We get one more episode of him next week and then we're at the half season finale. So we'll get some sort of fire fight and then the prison will probably be no more.