ESPN's Mike Rodak: Fred Jackson having a career season..

Mike Rodak@mikerodak

49m

Bills RB Fred Jackson is quietly having a career season: http://es.pn/19omPQV

Rushing yards: 309 (13th in NFL)

Yards per rush: 4.75 (12th in NFL)

Rushing touchdowns: 4 (tied-2nd in NFL)

Yards after contact per rush: 2.40 (2nd in NFL)

First downs per rushing attempt: 32.3 percent (4th in NFL)

Receiving yards: 153 (10th in NFL among running backs)

Rushing & receiving yards: 462 (15th in NFL among all players)

Edited by Kemp2Warlick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be first to admit thought Fred was done in preseason..he looked old and slow. Actually thought that if it was not for his presence in "the room", he would have/maybe should have been cut.

But i would still make a great GM :bag::thumbsup:

I realize the guy is chronologically "old" for football, but it seemed like people were writing him off way too early last season...he was injured last season, and played injured most of the year when he did play. IMO, when Spiller kind of took off, I think Freddie, maybe subconsciously was trying to run a little too much like Spiller, and not himself...he looked awkward the early part of last season, like he had changed his running style a little...he knows himself better than that! I am only surprised he is having such a good season, because I really thought Spiller would be dominating a little more, and taking carries away from the old man.

Freddie is a work horse. He is a "team" player who doesn't try to divert attention to himself. We are lucky to have him and I'd love to see him still a Bill when he retires. I thought the same thing about Jabari Greer. But we let him go and now he has a Super Bowl ring with the Saints and is still a valuable starter.

Although his numbers are very good, can it really be considered a "career" year? Through 5 weeks in 2011 he was at or near the top of every statistical category by which RBs are measured.

Edited by Punch

I will be first to admit thought Fred was done in preseason..he looked old and slow. Actually thought that if it was not for his presence in "the room", he would have/maybe should have been cut.

But i would still make a great GM :bag::thumbsup:

He's been the stability in what has been a turbulent calendar year. He has lost a step, I am grateful he is on the team. He has been our best running back. This is a testament to how good FJ has been in the past.

If we lost Fred in the next week or two we would eliminate what little chances we have at winning a football game without a QB

Although his numbers are very good, can it really be considered a "career" year? Through 5 weeks in 2011 he was at or near the top of every statistical category by which RBs are measured.

This^

I tend to think that maybe because CJ came on so strong after Freddie's injury and particularly last season that people forget just how good he was before he got injured in 2011.

Having the two of them is certainly are great position to be in.

People seem to forget that Fred didn't start to consistently get carries/touches in this league until 2008 when he was 28 Years old. He's really been a work horse as a running back for only 5 years. I think he has a couple more good years in him before we see him hit a wall.

Is he playing the last year of his contract?? I hope the Bills re-sign if he makes it through the season upright.

While technically true that Fred's on pace for a career-best season, his 5-game start in 2013 is significantly behind his 5-game start in 2011 -- which would have been his career year if he hadn't gotten hurt. His numbers through 5 in 2011 (this year's in parentheses):

Rushing yards: 480 (309)

Yards per rush: 5.3 (4.75)

Rushing touchdowns: 5 (4)

Receiving yards: 232 (153)

Yards per catch: 12.2 (8.4)

Receiving touchdowns: 0 (0)

Yards from scrimmage: 712 (462)

Total touchdowns: 5 (4)

Fumbles: 2 in 10 games, can't find game-by-game data (3)

So Freddie is clearly not as good so far as he was in 2011. But he looks a lot better than he did last year, and it's great to see him making those shifty little runs and bursting through the line again. Love that guy.

Freddy looked better in 2011 than he does now. But that I mean, numbers aside, he had more impressive runs in 2011. In fact, he looked freaking amazing two years ago - one of the very best backs in the league. I'm not sure he hasn't lost a step but - obviously - he's still a good back today.