ESPN's Mike Rodak: Fred Jackson having a career season..

Freddy looked better in 2011 than he does now. But that I mean, numbers aside, he had more impressive runs in 2011. In fact, he looked freaking amazing two years ago - one of the very best backs in the league. I'm not sure he hasn't lost a step but - obviously - he's still a good back today.

Too bad he got injured. He was so good in 2011. Probably the second best running back in the league behind AP at that time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills are smart they'll treat him like he is and take care of it in the offseason.

At the ripe old age of 32 he is the oldest RB in the league. I'm not sure if an extension would be a wise course of action at this point.

Freddie is a work horse. He is a "team" player who doesn't try to divert attention to himself. We are lucky to have him and I'd love to see him still a Bill when he retires. I thought the same thing about Jabari Greer. But we let him go and now he has a Super Bowl ring with the Saints and is still a valuable starter.

HURRY HURRY LET'S TRADE HIM SO WE CAN GET A HIGHER DRAFT PICK WHILE HE'S PUTTING UP GREAT NUMBERS :doh: !!!

Well heck it wouldn't be a typical bills fan blog if this reply wasn't in there, i just thought i would help :D !!

Have long appreciated Jackson, hard working, blue-collar type who I think was heading for some MVP votes in 2011 before derailed by injury. Since he has accepted the emergence of Spiller with grace, I see no reason not to keep him around as long as he is productive.

i don't think he's in last year of contract... think he is signed through 2014: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/05/bills-sign-rb-jackson.html

also, he may not have had a lot of NFL carries prior to being 27, but he wasn't inactive either... got a lot of work in the Indoor league and Europe league for 2 or 3 seasons. hard to imagine he'll make it past this contract, so hope we can make it count.

Hard to believe he was once 3rd on the depth chart behind Lynch and the A-Train. FredEx rises to the top every year.

The only time he's not at the top is when he's hurt. Every year he's been healthy he's been the best back on the Bills no matter how many 1st round RBs the organization tries to draft to fill the job.

At the ripe old age of 32 he is the oldest RB in the league. I'm not sure if an extension would be a wise course of action at this point.

Making a guy play out the last year of his contract is considered a form of insult to the players. There are so many ways to structure a contract, it is definitely the wise move. Freddy has never been unreasonable with his demands, either. He's a class act and deserves to be treated that way even if he hits the wall and he doesn't earn his money that year. He deserves that respect.

I'm loaded at RB in a twelve team league, 2 RB, 1 Flex(WR,RB,TE) I have forte, muscle hamster, cj2k, someone dropped Steven Jackson and Fred Jackson and I picked them both up.

FJ is #5 in most formats. I havent had the balls to start him over my other studs.

Should I start him over CJ2K @ Sea?

Take up a collection:

@usatoday_nfl

Bills RB Fred Jackson fined for ball-flip taunt http://usat.ly/19vErwo

BS. Did he say something?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Making a guy play out the last year of his contract is considered a form of insult to the players. There are so many ways to structure a contract, it is definitely the wise move. Freddy has never been unreasonable with his demands, either. He's a class act and deserves to be treated that way even if he hits the wall and he doesn't earn his money that year. He deserves that respect.

You could be right. I can see a 3 year deal with a smallish(4.5M?) signing bonus working. Not too exorbitant that we would be stung badly if he hits the wall and has to be cut....and high enough to show respect for his loyalty.

I wasn't suggesting that we don't re-sign him......just that his age is obviously an issue that needs to be considered.

Edited by Dibs

The only time he's not at the top is when he's hurt. Every year he's been healthy he's been the best back on the Bills no matter how many 1st round RBs the organization tries to draft to fill the job.

yes sir

Fred Jackson is my favorite Buffalo Bill ever.

Fred is what a Buffalo Bill and the Buffalonian spirit is all about. Hard work and dedication along with belief makes for a great man.

And boy can he play football ! Whata joy to watch oe'r these years. I hope we keep him on board till retirement . And then put his name on the Wall

You could be right. I can see a 3 year deal with a smallish(4.5M?) signing bonus working. Not too exorbitant that we would be stung badly if he hits the wall and has to be cut....and high enough to show respect for his loyalty.

I wasn't suggesting that we don't re-sign him......just that his age is obviously an issue that needs to be considered.

poo. age. poo poo

Good year - - yes.

Career year -- no

http://www.profootballhof.com/planyourvisit/2010/9/13/a-piece-of-history-handed-off/

Jackson became the first player in National Football League history ever to rush for 1,000 yards and have 1,000 kickoff return yards in the same season. He made the presentation of his jersey to the Hall of Fame prior to the Kickoff Weekend game between the Bills and Miami Dolphins at Ralph Wilson Stadium yesterday. His No. 22 jersey will be placed on exhibit inside the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the Pro Football Today Gallery.

Although his numbers are very good, can it really be considered a "career" year? Through 5 weeks in 2011 he was at or near the top of every statistical category by which RBs are measured.

Yeah this isn't a career year for him, he has been very good, but he was awesome in 2011. Really, he ran fine last year despite the injuries. The issue was fumbling the football. That has carried into this season, he is putting the ball on the turf with regularity......but they have been recovering them so it hasn't killed the team the way it did last year. Freddie killed us against NE last year. Brutal, and unexpected. For some time he had been the only guy on the team who you could count on to not make the big mistake......and then last year he really fell off. Didn't look good running the ball in the preseason either, but he still was getting that fall-forward yardage that has been his hallmark since he first joined the Bills.

I'm loaded at RB in a twelve team league, 2 RB, 1 Flex(WR,RB,TE) I have forte, muscle hamster, cj2k, someone dropped Steven Jackson and Fred Jackson and I picked them both up.

FJ is #5 in most formats. I havent had the balls to start him over my other studs.

Should I start him over CJ2K @ Sea?

BS. Did he say something?

I have Chris Johnson & Freddie on my team. Freddie has been blowing CJ away in fantasy.

No, he didn't say a word. He just flipped the ball at the DL who was on the sideline. Crappy call & fine. Far worse happens with no flags & fines.

Yeah this isn't a career year for him, he has been very good, but he was awesome in 2011. Really, he ran fine last year despite the injuries. The issue was fumbling the football. That has carried into this season, he is putting the ball on the turf with regularity......but they have been recovering them so it hasn't killed the team the way it did last year. Freddie killed us against NE last year. Brutal, and unexpected. For some time he had been the only guy on the team who you could count on to not make the big mistake......and then last year he really fell off. Didn't look good running the ball in the preseason either, but he still was getting that fall-forward yardage that has been his hallmark since he first joined the Bills.

I think getting a spear to the head may cause a fumble or two.

Edited by GG