Where is The Fan Confidence Level in This Staff ?

T master

OK Where is the fans confidence level at with this group ? Never mind that from an outside standpoint it seems as though chaos reigns at the highest coaching levels for the Bills & that yet another young QB's confidence could be trashed by recent actions by our Bills coaching staff .

Let me first point out a few things that have got my confidence level dropping & questioning some of their moves .

Earlier in the season our coach has said he doesn't believe that continuity in the offensive line is all that important :blink: or something along those lines. That is the first time i ever heard that from a HC or O line coach & He is the only coach that i have ever heard make that statement !

He has also said in his most recent interview on BB.com that they will be playing both Legursky & Brown at the LG position but they haven't come up with a plan on the amount of reps per player but will do it until one possibly shows deserving of being the guy :blink: ??

Any other coach i have ever heard has always said that that is one thing on the O line that is VERY important ! Continuity & Playing together as a unit !! And from last year to this year huge change !

I know the Tuel thing is being covered already but i need to talk about this to get to my point so i apologize to those of you that this may bore .

With regards to keeping Tuel on the roster rather than putting him on the PS . I get it OK at first his explanation sounds valid, but if you look into it , he says"Tuel was playing at a high level in the preseason & they didn't want to take the chance of some one taking him because of his good play" great !

So what has happened between then & now ? They along with other coaching staffs put rookies in early all the time but the difference is they are prepped for that situation, that's what they did with EJ . So why the change of heart ?

Then there is the Thad situation ! First it was going to be a outside QB brought in then realizing after stating such a foolish thing that the talent that they have is good enough they did just the exact opposite, Thad very professionally said on BB.com even he was surprised with the call by the coach ?

So if he's surprised with all of what went on why aren't the fans ? Then again from the outside looking in with the recent move of putting Hopkins on IR this entire thing could have been avoided with a decisive coaching decision weeks ago but wasn't .

So here's a question even though we have heard the explanation from the coach. Was the Hopkins move now made so the coach could cover his a** ? After looking back (b/c hind sight is indeed 20/20) did he now realize & do what he should have done weeks ago which would have been the better move for the team or was it a rookie head coaching mistake ?

I for one don't see the Pats HC doing some of these things we've seen here, and if i'm wrong i'm sure you all will tell me because you ain't scared !!

But & i hope i am wrong BUT at first i didn't like the way this hire went down with the talk of the exhaustive search conducted when guys like Trestman weren't even talked to but that's history now & i'm in with this guy hoping he is what they thought he was & proves me to be wrong.

But i will say with all that has happened with Qb's & releasing kickers adding kickers then putting them on IR , keeping Easley after putting up the best WR numbers in pre season then not using him in games as a WR even with the injuries ? Then the Byrd thing we aren't going to trade him now we are going to trade him ??

All of this has got me not so sure where these guys are headed , yet i hope there is a method to their madness cause to me it kind of resembles madness & my confidence is not what it was in this staff ...

But where is yours as a Fan

Edited by T master

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are fine. They were handed a thin roster, that has had lots of injuries, lots of unproven players, a rookie starting QB, and a bad legacy. I think they took chances with the roster that have blown up in their faces. They know they are early in the process of putting the team together, so they took some chances.

So far I am okay with Marrone and very happy with Pettine. Not okay with Hackett unless he finds a way to get more offensive production. The Bills offense looks pretty bad to me and appears to be hanging on by a thread because of exceptional talent at running back. They struggle an awful lot just to get first downs. To me it looks as bad as last year’s defense and how Wannstedt got so little production out of that talented front four. Hackett should be getting a lot more production from his offensive roster.

Not happy with Danny Crossman (special teams) thus far either, at least in the kick return, punt return game. Maybe that improves with a new punter?

If the Bills offense doesn’t get much better this year, then a good part of the blame also has to be placed on Marrone also for not getting more involved personally.

As far as Whaley goes, I will reserve that judgment until I see whether E.J. turns out to be for real or not. If he is a bust, then you can squarely blame Whaley for that. I know they will try to make Buddy Nix the scapegoat for that, but fans know better. If E.J. pans out, then I would say that this year’s draft was excellent for sure.

After this season is over we should have a much better idea. It is still a bit early to know for sure how things are going to turn out.

We are a 2-3 team. Of course there is a lot to criticize. For starters it appears there is a certain amount of confusions in making what you the OP would consider routine decisions.

As for Tuel, I think they thought Tuel could play. As for the replacement QB they determined Dixon & White were no better than Lewis.

As for Hopkins Marrone said his kickoffs had no power. So the decision was made.

As for Byrd, it seems there's interest in obtaining value for him if given an acceptable offer. Considering our defense is playing well without him, and given the return of Gilmore this is a logical time to make the trade.

Last given all our injuries it's difficult to judge where we'd be.

2013 was always going to be a building year. Assess Manuel, and the young players on the roster and than make a serious push in 2014.

Not happy with the front office. No excuse for Brown at guard. $20 million in cap space should have been used in some fashion, otherwise you are wasting one of your most important assets and advantages over the other teams in the league. Should have picked up a veteran QB as soon as Kolb was injured (one that could make the team). The Byrd situation is another disaster and will likely result in a trade that will not return fair value.

One step forward with what may have been a good draft and two steps back with odd moves and the failure to take advantage of our cap space.

Not happy with the front office. No excuse for Brown at guard. $20 million in cap space should have been used in some fashion, otherwise you are wasting one of your most important assets and advantages over the other teams in the league. Should have picked up a veteran QB as soon as Kolb was injured (one that could make the team). The Byrd situation is another disaster and will likely result in a trade that will not return fair value.

One step forward with what may have been a good draft and two steps back with odd moves and the failure to take advantage of our cap space.

agree 100% you get better by acquiring talent fast than you lose it and this front office is pretty bad at it - you don't miss 13 14 years of playoffs because you are unlucky it's because you are bad at your job.

i want to believe that the FO is doing the right thing but the actions say its the same old same. im happy with marrone and pettine and hope that hackett gets it going.

bills had enough money to resign both byrd and levitre but i thought it was more realistic that only 1 player was resigned. so if byrd leaves too its gonna look like standard operations over at OBD. 2 awesome players in their prime walking for nothing in return on levitre and what will probably turn into a 4th or 5th round pick in the other.

What veteran QB should they have picked up? What would have been a better strategy in getting Byrd signed at an appropriate amount?

My confidence is low right now. The FO has botched this QB situation and its inexcusable for a franchise that has been wandering in the QB desert for years. Yes, you draft a QB high, but you get another veteran when Kolb gets injured. Why Kolb anyway? He has an injury history. TJAX or Fitz (who wanted to stay as backup) were better choices. Now EJ is hurt and we look like a joke. Freeman could have fell in their lap last week for a low pick and they passed. Then they were left begging him to sign just a few days later. They had the bucks to trade or even claim him. Inexcusable with our cap space. I'm OK with the Byrd deal as they tagged him and tried to do a long term deal. Not their fault if he doesn't take it. If they wanted to spend that they could have just went out and got Goldson. Byrd just happens to be hitting free agency, he's not a physical game changer like other safeties and isn't worth that kind of $. No problem there, they handled it just fine. The D coordinator has done a good job. Offense would be much better with a better OC. Hackett is not creative about creating matchups and getting the ball to his weapons in space. He'd rather slam it up into the teeth of the defense for 2 yards than use their aggresiveness against them and use play action or screens. Needs more pick plays as well like the Broncos do. You don't need Manning to get receivers open. Overall the staff is a C. That probably won't cut it with a UDFA type talent at QB for awhile.

This fans confidence in the coaching staff is LOW, very LOW.

I will admit I didn't like the hire initially. I then decided that with this new coach I won't get on band wagon until there is reason to get on. No reason so far.

The QB fiasco we have now is Coach Marrone's own doing. Going into the season with one rookie QB coming off an injury and another rookie and a 1 year vet backing him up us just plain dumb. I like EJ, but the rest of the QB decisions including cutting Fitz and Tarvaris have made no sense and more troubling, not worked.

His pick of OC so far is not panning out so well either. With our RBs and our Oline and better WRs this offense should be much better.

While our Defense appears to be better, we're still in the bottom 3rd of NFL defenses.

After hearing how great a hire Coach Marrone was and that he was better than other coahes we didn't even talk to like Andy Reid and Marc Trestman, and that we had to hire him fast before someone else did etc, I expected great things. So far at least it looks like more of the same.

I hope he turns it around I really do, but my confidence is not real high right now.

go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

What veteran QB should they have picked up? What would have been a better strategy in getting Byrd signed at an appropriate amount?

When Kolb got hurt their choices were limited. He was a bad choice to begin with. At that point you needed to make a trade for someone, Rex Grossman perhaps? He is third on the depth chart and probably available. There are probably similar situations around the league. Was laughable to hear Marrone explain how they were afraid of losing a guy like Tuel. The Byrd thing has been handled just fine, though. He's not a Polamalu or Reed in their primes. Their offer was fair. Tag him again next year if need be or trade him in the offseason when he has some value.

Rex Grossman perhaps? He is third on the depth chart and probably available.

I wondered why people aren't talking about Grossman too. It seems he would be a great veteran that could help bring the rookies up to snuff.

I saw Grossman play in preseason and he looked as good as he ever has in my opinion. No he won't win you a Superbowl, but you aren't bringing him in here for that. You would bring him in for patchwork.

Seems like he is in a position to get out of DC too. I can't imagine he enjoys being number 3 in Redskinland.