Where is The Fan Confidence Level in This Staff ?

T master

My only concern is with Hackett and the Byrd situation.

Hackett has not figured out how to use Spiller, I'll toss Chan a bone here and say he knew how to use Spiller. I think Spiller should be use more in the screen game and short passes out the backfield. But that is fixable. The read option I don't like, it exposes E.J. to hits and I think E.J is more of a pocket passer, which I prefer.

Byrd is a front office situation and its clear that the Bills must move on. They can get a starting CB and a draft choice for him if they play they cards right. If they cant trade him before the deadline this month play him and move him out next year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand hitting the panic button at this point. Let's review for one as the OP menionted hiring Marrone and saying how other coaches have faired thus far, and this all assuming they weren't asked to come to Buffalo which NONE of us know for sure.

Regarding Reid: Kansas City was abysmal last year, but they have been stacked with talent for years due to drafting so high over the last eight years and they traded a 2nd rounder for a former 1st overall talent QB who was playing well in San Fran prior to the emergence of Kap...

Regarding Trestman: Chicago had an established QB, RB, WR core and Offensive line with a solid Defense and great Special Teams....that team was well established, they just needed a new set of creative ideas and for their sake, change for the sake of change as Lovie simply became old news and the easy scapegoat for under-achieving...

Regarding Chip Kelly: his Offense, as expected has put up some big numbers, but they still have the same record as the BILLS and in a division with the Giants and Redskins as opposed to the Patriots, much improved Dolphins and apparently, a Jets team that was better than advertised with a QB who has a solid running game and an outstanding Defense...

Regarding Chudzinski: again, the Browns Defense was better than most gave them credit for and with the right QB, and a terrific TE, and Gordon's talent, they have begun to put the pieces together, Oh, and it helps that Norv Turner went to be the O-C.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the positions and teams, but keep in mind in most cases an total overhaul was being completed, there were key missing components or merely mismanaged talented players who now have some good coaching, i.e. Kansas City...

Buffalo's position was somewhat unique, they have one of the top 3 youngest teams in the NFL and a new coaching staff who are also cutting their teeth at their respective positions in the NFL and yes I know Pettine was the DC in NY, but let's be real, Rex makes those calls and runs that Defense. While Pettine I'm sure was integral to their success and ran day-to-day operations, Rex was the one truly "coordinating" that Defense...

Also, people forget the talent that Nix assembled for this team and how some of the former players made unreasonable demands based upon their belief of talent....such as Whitner, who is playing well in a Defense that doesn't ask him to be the star, but he still wanted to get paid like one...sorry, but over-paying for any one player at any position doesn't benefit the rest of the team....There was a house cleaning done in many ways, and some of the guys who Nix was finally able to get after it was his scouting staff he put in place for his SECOND year on the job along with Whaley this year for this Draft class is what we can evaluate him on...

Meanwhile, Marrone should begin to apply pressure to Hackett and better play-calling, no question and it should be done...otherwise, what fault can you find with this staff that screams ineptitude??? Lewis on PS versus Tuel...did you consider that maybe Marrone wanted Tuel close to him during the games so he could mentor him and allow Tuel the opportunity to be on the sidelines to gain some form of game type experience and be able to be field level to dissect plays and talk with coaches and EJ during the game to again, obtain more football experience....to expedite his growth?? And as someone, well many someones, mentioned earlier and in other posts, Kolb was brought in and injury sidelined him when I'm sure they hoped they could keep him in place exactly for something like this...if Kolb wasn't injured, we would be talking about the genius of the coaching staff and "Whew, aren't we glad we made such a good choice for a back-up", but injury dictated a gamble...and didn't the last coaching staff get lambasted for lacking the moxy to take chances?? Yes, EJ needs to continue to develop...and yes, it's disappointing as a fan to see him get injured...yes, I would like to see better Offensive play-calling....but, where or where, does this team and it's staff look a mess or over-matched???

Progress is often slow...and painful...and with more sacrifice than orginally believed....such is the state of the BILLS. But hope is not lost and what is on the horizon is the most promising this organization has seen since the twilight days of Kelly and Thurman and when Bruce tried to be a Redskin....let's just take a more patient approach to what occurs on the season and see where we stand once the final whistle is blown...

My guess, we're still another year out, with EJ's development, with Hackett's growth in the Offensive game planning dept., and getting a more developed Offensive line before we see this team taken seriously for playoff contention...but when it happens, and it WILL happen, it will taste all the more sweet and ripe for the taking....

Like to add the Bills had the backup QB in Kolb, which is what they planed on but Kolb just got hurt,so its was bad luck there. Can't blame the front office for injuries.

That being said I like where this team is headed, it just gonna take some time, they had an EXCELLENT draft, and if they have anything like this years draft next spring we can make the playoffs.

Rebuilding with new staff and players, I don't expect playoffs. What concerns me, they need plays and OL that will not get our qb seriously injured. The Ravens just traded for a experienced T Eugene Monroe a former 1st rd pick. Heck I would have traded Byrd for him.

Edited by ALF

I don't understand the assumption that Mike Pettine will want to be a HC.

He's a good DC. That doesn't mean he wants to be a HC, nor does it mean he'd be a good HC. Quite frankly, I think he lacks some of the qualities necessary to be an effective HC.

Why not?? You all are assuming Manuel will be fine health wise and fix his mechanics... PLENTY of assuming going on ATM... that's what fans do.

He's a good DC. That doesn't mean he wants to be a HC, nor does it mean he'd be a good HC. Quite frankly, I think he lacks some of the qualities necessary to be an effective HC.

I don't understand the assumption that he will be in demand TO be a HC. Sure, our defense is quite a bit better than last year, but it's still no great shakes. We're 20th in YPG and 21st in points per game given up. I'm not sure anyone has really even noticed yet besides us.

I really like Marrone. I LOVE Pettine. I really like Whaley. Brandon is ok, I don't hate him. Yet. Hackett is still a kid and learning. I don't hate him either. I'm just praying that one of our position coaches are soaking up everything they can from Pettine about this scheme, so when he's hired as a HC in a year or 2, they can step in and take over as DC and run this system. I love our defensive system. Couldn't be happier about it.

Maybe he doesn't want to. But how many of those guys don't want to? Isn't that pretty much what all of them are shooting for? I think it is a fairly logical assumption.

He might not turn out to be a good HC. Who knows? Nobody knows until he is given an opportunity. And that is what I think will happen within the next couple years while the Bills are supposedly "rebuilding" for the future.

Part of the reason I hate "rebuilding" is because it is so hard to keep the talent you have while you are building. Inevitably, you end up losing a key piece of the puzzle right at the point you expected to have your team "built".

I envision that happening with Buffalo in the next few years. Hopefully not, but that is why I want to try to win every year and try to build upon what you have rather than take a year off to build. But that is just me. I would be willing to tear down and rebuild if there was some kind of high probability that it would succeed. But the NFL has proven and the Bills have proven that rebuilding is easy to plan on doing but hard to execute. How many times has this team been rebuilt over the years?

Sorry...getting off topic.

Edited by PolishDave

Here's my take, for what it's worth. Don't get me wrong when I say this board is whacked. I love this place because there are some really good discussions and a quite a few very knowledgeable board members. Sometimes this place is just great for a laugh. Other times though, I see a lot of members posting the most ridiculous nonsense, particularly after the Bills lose a game or when someone gets injured.

Now when I saw the title to this thread, I thought the OP was seriously asking where is the confidence in this coaching staff and would then defend some of the decision making, but he didn't. I shouldn't be surprised. Thing is, I have to take a step back, look at where we started this year, look at where we are right now and gauge where we might be headed. To do this honestly, you have be able to listen to what the coaches, players and staff are leaving us with. Not just reading and instantly dismissing things because they don't make sense to you. When a plan is put into place and everyone from top to bottom is buying into that plan, we should do more than quickly dismissing what someone says because many people have worked hard to put this thing together. These guys didn't get where they are because they lucked into anything. They had to earn their stripes and that is why they are there.

So in summary, our rookie coaches have been here for 5 regular season games. The comments concerning their very small body of work really are out there. Football is something I love to watch as a fan because it is such a fun game to watch on a relaxing Sunday afternoon. It's also a surprising game. Things happen, good and bad. I think some of us are prone to over analyzing things. I am not ready to ditch our offensive coordinator because I think his ideas can't work. I am not ready to dismiss a guy like Thad Lewis before he even has a chance to play for us. I am not ready to give up on this season. Call me crazy. I could really give a crap.

I like many of you are disappointed that we have only 2 wins, but I sure don't think its time to start ripping up the whole plan and start all over again. I'm pretty sure we have more wins to look forward to and it might just start this week against Cincy.

Go Bills!

Edited by Rockinon

Whether we can have success and make the playoffs in the next number of years will come down to whether EJ develops into an above average starting NFL quarterback or better. At this point, we have no idea if this will happen.

Here's my take, for what it's worth. Don't get me wrong when I say this board is whacked. I love this place because there are some really good discussions and a quite a few very knowledgeable board members. Sometimes this place is just great for a laugh. Other times though, I see a lot of members posting the most ridiculous nonsense, particularly after the Bills lose a game or when someone gets injured.

Now when I saw the title to this thread, I thought the OP was seriously asking where is the confidence in this coaching staff and would then defend some of the decision making, but he didn't. I shouldn't be surprised. Thing is, I have to take a step back, look at where we started this year, look at where we are right now and gauge where we might be headed. To do this honestly, you have be able to listen to what the coaches, players and staff are leaving us with. Not just reading and instantly dismissing things because they don't make sense to you. When a plan is put into place and everyone from top to bottom is buying into that plan, we should do more than quickly dismissing what someone says because many people have worked hard to put this thing together. These guys didn't get where they are because they lucked into anything. They had to earn their stripes and that is why they are there.

So in summary, our rookie coaches have been here for 5 regular season games. The comments concerning their very small body of work really are out there. Football is something I love to watch as a fan because it is such a fun game to watch on a relaxing Sunday afternoon. It's also a surprising game. Things happen, good and bad. I think some of us are prone to over analyzing things. I am not ready to ditch our offensive coordinator because I think his ideas can't work. I am not ready to dismiss a guy like Thad Lewis before he even has a chance to play for us. I am not ready to give up on this season. Call me crazy. I could really give a crap.

I like many of you are disappointed that we have only 2 wins, but I sure don't think its time to start ripping up the whole plan and start all over again. I'm pretty sure we have more wins to look forward to and it might just start this week against Cincy.

Go Bills!

I couldn’t agree with you more. This is a process and we need to be patient. This coaching staff doesn’t seem to be about knee jerk reactions, instead I think they are about building a solid team for the longer term. Personally, I prefer that over some short term decisions that might only secure us a couple extra wins this season.

We’re at least in much better shape than the Sabres. They are playing the Blackhawks this weekend here in Chicago and I’m debating if I should wear a Sabres jersey or a bag over my head. :lol:

I like your attitude Rockinon….the next time the Bills play the Bears here in Chicago you are welcome to my tailgate party! :thumbsup:

FO Im OK

HC im Happy

DC im thrilled

OC im very uncertain

ST im "eh"

Strenghth and conditioning i say fire them all.

That's about the size of it, except I'll say that we probably have precious little intel on what the S&C dept does and if/how it's affecting anything at all.