Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lewis had a chance to compete with Tuel in training camp?

It may just be the Trent Edwards syndrome...where Tuel was technically more proficient in practice but he's a deer in headlights during a game. Tuel's accuracy on those short throws had me most concerned. If that doesn't come natural in live action, a QB is doomed. Maybe Thad is just a cool customer (he seems to be in interviews i've seen)...and doesn't get as flustered during the game.

OKAY PEOPLE. This might be of interest. Here is my scouting report from week 17, 2012, Thad Lewis, starting QB for the Browns @ Pittsburgh. Weather below freezing. (NFL gamepass is cool!)

At the time, the Steelers D was ranked #1 in the league, 1st against the run, second against the pass.

Lewis looked okay. He's definitely tough. He took quite a few shots from a hard hitting Steelers D, one from James Harrison (a personal foul) in particular, and got right up. And he wasn't getting hit because he was holding onto the ball too long. He was getting hit because the Steelers D is coached by Dick Lebeau and is really good. Lewis hangs right in there and lets it rip.

His arm is strong, actually you might even say he has a "laser." But his accuracy is off, even on some of his completions. He almost got a couple of his receivers killed from bad ball location. A few of the throws, though, looked really pretty.

He threw one interception, to Troy Polumalu. Polumalu looked like he baited him into making the throw. He had another one that could have been intercepted, and was a misread/miscommunication perhaps? He also threw a TD during a goal to go.

In conclusion? It was a meaningless game for both teams, both of which were disqualified by then from the playoffs. Lewis didn't run at all, which surprised me, but that wasn't Cleveland's offense under Shurmur. His arm is definitely strong enough to play in the league. Beyond that, it's hard to make any meaningful conclusion after one game, but honestly, considering it was his first game against a #1 ranked D and a hall of fame coordinator, the kid hung in there and slung it around pretty good.

It may just be the Trent Edwards syndrome...where Tuel was technically more proficient in practice but he's a deer in headlights during a game. Tuel's accuracy on those short throws had me most concerned. If that doesn't come natural in live action, a QB is doomed. Maybe Thad is just a cool customer (he seems to be in interviews i've seen)...and doesn't get as flustered during the game.

Some QBs just suck. Tuel is one of those. Tuel did well in practice when no one was rushing him. Tuel did well in preseason games against guys who are likely not on rosters today.

I'm not saying Thad Lewis is going to be successful in the game(s) he starts. What I am saying is that Tuel has no chance at being successful as an NFL QB in the near future; likely the distant future, as well.

This was a sound decision.

Ok can we just be objective for 5 minutes? This team is a total train wreck. We have maybe a handful of players worth a damn that other teams would actually do something with. We are being led by Ralph Wilsons personally trained clone, Doug Whaley couldn't find or sign anyone better than Lewis to help us?

Marone is way in over his head, being an OC by name is a hell of a lot different than being an NFL HC. Turning around Cuse' got him this job? That should have worried everyone. Some young kid at FSU is tearing things up much better than EJ did so was it the system? So far Honestly EJ really hasn't shown much, he can't read defenses, he waits till a WR is wide open which rarely happens in the NFL, slow to pull the trigger, not accurate on deep balls etc.

If you stop drinking the Homeristic Kool Aid its just same old crap as every year. Unfortunately until Ralph passes and an owner NOT from WNY, NOT associated with the Bills in any way comes in and cleans house from Rus Brandon all the way down to the ticket takers and punt kicks most of this lower talent on this team and rebuilds the entire thing right... its always going to be this way.

Purely a panic move. They went after Freeman, he chose Minnesota. Last week they said Lewis wasn't the answer, today he is simply because he was already here. Better option than Pat White though. Guess they are going to get another QB off someones practice squad too.

This makes the decision to have Tuel as your backup all the more worrisome. This coaching staff couldn't tell he was not prepared to play in this league? I mean that is why you have a back up in case of injury to fill in. If he can't even be trusted to do that I would cut Tuel and take my chances on someone claiming him. He is wasting a roster spot at this point and should have been on the practice squad all along.

Edited by billieve420

Purely a panic move. They went after Freeman, he chose Minnesota. Last week they said Lewis wasn't the answer, today he is simply because he was already here. Better option than Pat White though. Guess they are going to get another QB off someones practice squad too.

Other than Freeman, there was nothing more than Dregs out there on the street market. Not sure what people expect the Bills to do at this juncture of the season.

Ok can we just be objective for 5 minutes? This team is a total train wreck. We have maybe a handful of players worth a damn that other teams would actually do something with. We are being led by Ralph Wilsons personally trained clone, Doug Whaley couldn't find or sign anyone better than Lewis to help us?

Marone is way in over his head, being an OC by name is a hell of a lot different than being an NFL HC. Turning around Cuse' got him this job? That should have worried everyone. Some young kid at FSU is tearing things up much better than EJ did so was it the system? So far Honestly EJ really hasn't shown much, he can't read defenses, he waits till a WR is wide open which rarely happens in the NFL, slow to pull the trigger, not accurate on deep balls etc.

If you stop drinking the Homeristic Kool Aid its just same old crap as every year. Unfortunately until Ralph passes and an owner NOT from WNY, NOT associated with the Bills in any way comes in and cleans house from Rus Brandon all the way down to the ticket takers and punt kicks most of this lower talent on this team and rebuilds the entire thing right... its always going to be this way.

Can you back up any of this with facts and/or statistics, please? Otherwise, it's simply a rant. From a person sitting in a boat. Moving ever so slowly. With his fishing line trailing behind him.

I got to agree on why he was not on the active roster if he is a better option then Tuel. I also will speculate that the Bills do not believe signing a Carr, Dixon, White, etc... is worth it. Possibly EJ's knee is improving and the Bills think he can be back in a few games. The need to go sign someone else is not necessary. OR yes it could be all the other negative reasons- Bills do not want to spend money, Freeman did not want to come to Buffalo, etc.. One thing I do hope is that Hackett will design a plan that is aggressive, Bengals have a good D and trying to line up and smash it down their throats will be silly. Hackett does not have to try and bring Lewis along slowly or worry about hurting his confidence. Open it up if you want to beat the Bengals. Mix it up and throw the kitchen sink at the Bengals.

I think there are valid reasons for this. As previously mentioned he showed up on the roster just before the 1st game. On top of that we had multiple injuries and were even forced to carry two kickers. With EJ playing there was no reason to play musical chairs with the backup quarterbacks. Especially if they had more faith in Tuel before seeing him in a live game.

I think a lot of knowledgeable fans pegged the Bills going 2-3 at this point of the season, especially with a rookie QB. It sounds like you were the one drinking the Kool-Aid, and now you are out of the ledge doing your best Chicken Little imitation.

And who are you again? Oh, that's right, just another tin-foil hatter that believes the fact that Ralph Wilson still breathes signifies another losing season. Yeah, real astute football analysis. But please, don't let me stop your whining.

Freeman would never come to Buffalo. Not even for $5 million. Freeman is not a backup. He is a starter. The Bills have a starter.

Thad Lewis starting makes perfect sense. He knows the offense. He is better than Tuel.

Backups aren't supposed to be as good as starters .... otherwise, they'd be starters.

Too many dollars might have changed his mind, but I think he likes his chances of beating out Ponder more than beating out Manuel, and I think he would have to be right. Ponder has been a weak link in a strong team, and if Freeman can be better and they win, then Freeman is the starter for a playoff team and lands on his feet. Neither half of that equation (beating the old starter or making the playoffs) fit in Buffalo.

Freeman was definitely a better choice than Lewis if available. But of the options we had, I would probably agree after seeing Tuel fall flat that Lewis might be our best option. White and Dixon don't have enough of a talent advantage over Lewis to make up for the six weeks of practice advantage. I had hoped that Vince Young would have gotten an chance as a mobile veteran QB who was able to win games once upon a time.

So we are stuck with this, once again rooting for a Manuel knee to heal so we don't have to deal with horrible results. But Brady did just score six points against the Bengals while getting sacked like crazy, so I have to think that Lewis is a reverse lock to dominate this game.

The Bills have had a little magic working these past 2 home games and Marrone & Co. have a knack of being able to keep games close (except for Tuel's pick 6 to blow that one open).

Let's hope The Ralph has a little more magic for Sunday. I like Cinci coming in here off a big emotional win and the Bills coming off a big prime time loss. Things tend to flip flop in the NFL from week to week amongst the mediocre teams. Kinda' like the Ravens coming to town after dominating Houston and the Bills getting shredded be Geno. Thad is the X-factor though. IF he can just not make huge mistakes, he could hold the fort.

Wondering if Tuel showed nothing in the last few days of practice. Imho, doesn't bode well for Tuel

With all the speculation on signing White. They could demote Tuel to the PS and sign White as the backup. Seems to be a stretch considering he wont know the plays, but I guess he could learn just this coming weeks game plan plays and move on from there.

BigPappy

Too many dollars might have changed his mind, but I think he likes his chances of beating out Ponder more than beating out Manuel, and I think he would have to be right. Ponder has been a weak link in a strong team, and if Freeman can be better and they win, then Freeman is the starter for a playoff team and lands on his feet. Neither half of that equation (beating the old starter or making the playoffs) fit in Buffalo.

Freeman was definitely a better choice than Lewis if available. But of the options we had, I would probably agree after seeing Tuel fall flat that Lewis might be our best option. White and Dixon don't have enough of a talent advantage over Lewis to make up for the six weeks of practice advantage. I had hoped that Vince Young would have gotten an chance as a mobile veteran QB who was able to win games once upon a time.

So we are stuck with this, once again rooting for a Manuel knee to heal so we don't have to deal with horrible results. But Brady did just score six points against the Bengals while getting sacked like crazy, so I have to think that Lewis is a reverse lock to dominate this game.

I don't even think money was much of a factor for Freeman, Tampa is stilling paying him his salary if he plays or not. But Minnesota is looking for a #1 QB, they are giving up on Ponder, and have the chance to sign a young #1 QB who appears to need a change of scenery and was cut just because the coach didn't like him and he wasn't the coaches guy. If he plays well, he has the job. In Buffalo, he gets a few weeks to learn an offence and show he can be a #1 guy again and then has to go find a new team and learn another new offence this offseason because unless he has a stellar few weeks here, he won't be taking over the job from the Bills first pick in this years draft.

With all the speculation on signing White. They could demote Tuel to the PS and sign White as the backup. Seems to be a stretch considering he wont know the plays, but I guess he could learn just this coming weeks game plan plays and move on from there.

BigPappy

In case of injury, they have to keep Tuel active as a backup to Lewis since he's the only other QB with an intimate understanding of the offense.

But we have to be the only team to ever carry two kickers when having so many injuries. Just put Hopkins on IR..Carpenter been licking just fine, i might say he has been close to very good.

One other note, according to chris Brown, PS players travel with the team...who knew?????

could you imagine the amount of people that would jump off a bridge on this site if we IRd Hopkins and the very next week Carpenter got injured?

could you imagine the amount of people that would jump off a bridge on this site if we IRd Hopkins and the very next week Carpenter got injured?

They would throw the usual tantrums about how bad this franchise is for IRing Hopkins when he could be healthy during the year and how since Carpenter is older it was obvious he might not last through the year. just more of the same old, same old from the crowd here............ Oh, and then there would be a few guys asking if the Bills could take Hopkins of the IR list so he could play again this year

remember the comments about how Carpenter was done when the Bills signed him to replace Hopkins til he got healthy?