Roster management

Almost anytime a starting qb goes down it's a mess. One thing that the Bills could have done was Ir Hopkins weeks ago an added a Third QB to the roster . At what point do you decide to ride with Carpenter for the season . At this point we have a wasted roster spot with two kickers for several weeks after it is clear that Carpenter is a credible fill in for the season.

Almost anytime a starting qb goes down it's a mess.

True. But it doesn't have to be this much of a mess.

Serious question: How many NFL teams could Tuel or Lewis have actually made this year? I'm not sure either could have been anything better than PS players who would ever see playing time without 2 QBs going down on any team other than the Bills.

Almost anytime a starting qb goes down it's a mess. One thing that the Bills could have done was Ir Hopkins weeks ago an added a Third QB to the roster . At what point do you decide to ride with Carpenter for the season . At this point we have a wasted roster spot with two kickers for several weeks after it is clear that Carpenter is a credible fill in for the season.

Hidnsight is always 20-20. The Bills are high on Hopkins and Carpenter has been on 3 teams this year. If he was kicking like this in his other stops before Buffalo, he won't have been cut twice.

True. But it doesn't have to be this much of a mess.

Serious question: How many NFL teams could Tuel or Lewis have actually made this year? I'm not sure either could have been anything better than PS players who would ever see playing time without 2 QBs going down on any team other than the Bills.

Lewis started a game for the Browns last year, so I guess that's one team he made.

Hidnsight is always 20-20. The Bills are high on Hopkins and Carpenter has been on 3 teams this year. If he was kicking like this in his other stops before Buffalo, he won't have been cut twice.

Lewis started a game for the Browns last year, so I guess that's one team he made.

Yet halfway through training camp this year he wasn't on a roster.

Lewis was the 3rd QB. If you cut Burton to bring Lewis on will anybody notice?

Said this elsewhere and I'll say it here:

THE BILLS CAN'T IR HOPKINS. IF THEY IR A PLAYER WHO DOESN'T HAVE A LEGITIMATE SEASON-ENDING INJURY THEN THEY WILL GET SUED BY THE NFLPA AND LOSE. THE END.

That is NOT true --- you can IR any player that will be out multiple weeks (6 to be exact) -- that's why you hear so many teams IR a guy that will be out 6 or more weeks, because they can't afford to tie up a roster spot and there is only 1 IR spot that you can designate for return during year --- The Bills should have IR'd Hopkins once they got comfortable with Carpenter (after game 2) -- and used spot, NOT for QB --- but for CB ! --- or maybe OG ---- not having 3rd QB didn't hurt them per se, because that 3rd QB would have most likely been Lewis and they still have him Edited by TXBILLSFAN

THE BILLS CAN'T IR HOPKINS. IF THEY IR A PLAYER WHO DOESN'T HAVE A LEGITIMATE SEASON-ENDING INJURY THEN THEY WILL GET SUED BY THE NFLPA AND LOSE. THE END.

That is wrong.

Ya so to add a bit to your post, the decision making of this staff lacks some as you have pointed out to be nice about it . These seem to be the type of decisions that a college HC would make ! B/C there is no back lash to those decisions in college but there are in the NFL .

Then after reading what the coach said in reference to Tuels performance at BB.com in the game last week it just confirms everything you have posted here. Then you add what very well could happen in a week or so .

It looks as if when Hopkins gets 100% Carpenter will be released isn't that a fine how do you do or what he has done for the team , the guy has been money .

So say if Hopkins injury comes back to haunt him or if he misses as he did in the preseason & a move needs to be made why in the world (besides money) would Carpenter even think of coming back after being treated in this way .

Plus i think if he does get released another team will see just what he has done here & he will be history & the Bills may once again be stuck with another bad decision made by there staff ...

That's not true - lots of players are put on IR with a multi-week injury that is not necessarily season ending. Teams have to make judgement calls like this all the time in order to keep enough healthy players. Now, if he wasn't injured at least a couple of weeks you might have a point.

and less than an hour after this post, hopkins gets put on IR...priceless

disagree....the team can opt to IR a player...remember since it would be done now it is possible to be recalled during the season.

Every team in this league then has violated the IR rules then. I have seen people get IRed because of a less period than the rest of the season or the ailment is a nagging injury that is effecting their performance week in and out.

The Bills used to IR guys all the time with a 3 week hang nail injury because we didnt have any backups. This is beyond wrong. Also Brad Smith is on IR right now with bruised ribs. Are the Bills being sued?

Id love to know where you got that information from ........and how you feel now that he's been put on IR

It is the GM that provides the roster (players) to the coaching staff, so why no words from the GM on this and other items?

Remember in pre season what the OC said about Spiller, how much they were going to urse him. How long did that last

and why has Hackwtt never been available.

How long has Marrone been coaching the team and he still can!t deceide between Brown or Legursky; Teul and Lewis until

yesterday; between Hopkins and Carpenter yesterday. I hope he knows the NFL rules before he throws the red flag

again. From the GM, not a football guy all the way down to the some of the coaches-pitiful. No wonder we are in familiar territory in the AFC East again.

Our running game against the passing game? Maybe we get 150 yards on the ground, but is it a match for a 500 yard throwing QB? I don!t think so.