Trying to find the positives from the EJ injury

Hplarrm

Quite frankly it near impossible to do with the Bills having no prospect of a back-up pulling a Doug Flutie after injury forced us to start him at QB as the RJ debacle wore on. However reality is what reality is and what is offered us is: 1. What unique chances for developing EJ are provided. 2. What new chances are provided for finding new QB prospecs 3, How do we think of new QB approaches. I believe this means A. Maunel has a unique chance for being up with Hackett during for 4 or so games and learning our and NFL offenses from our OC. He may end up an improved player from such experiences. B. We really have a unique chance for going with 2 #1 QBs. CW is if you have 2 #1 QBs you have no #1 QB. However, we have a chance 4 chancing a flyer like Freeman w/o abandoning Manuel. We should aggressively explore. 3. We need to look at unconventional QB approaches which gave birth 4 ideas like Wildca I'd even be amused by unusual uses of oddities like Tebow

Are you kidding me?

There are absolutely no positives to having your rookie hopefully future franchise QB sitting in the booth on game days. None.

There is no better experience than being in the game and learning from your mistakes. You can't do that from the booth.

We knew playoffs were a pipe dream coming into the season, so all I wanted from this year was to see steady incremental development of our QB.

That can't happen on the bench.

RTB

I am not seeing any positives either. In fact, I am worried about the trickle down effect. Part of the reason that I am on board with Freeman is b/c guys like Robert Woods, TJ Graham and Marquis Goodwin need to continue to develop. I am not sure that is possible with Tuel or some of the other scrubs out on the market.

The only positive I can see is the EJ will hopefully become serious about learning how to slide and dive without getting hit.

Well, he prides himself on not making the same mistake twice. Let's hope he learns from this. He was moving the ball and putting points on the board. He was growing week to week. This is a serious set back and I see zero positives here.

There are some:

1) we missed him when he wasn't in the game and the team looked much worse. This means he make the team better and IS the good player we want him to be. This should be impressive to everyone given how raw we heard he was and how early it is in his career. He's a difference maker.

2) the hit he took was bad, he walked off. He's tough and will be back, I bet sooner than anyone thinks. A much less violent hit took out the Brown QB for the year. We are lucky.

3) RG3 was knocked out with a concusion early last year and missed time. He learned to protect himself. This had to be step in the learning process for him.

4) even if he can't play for a while he's likely going to be able to get back throwing soon.

5) we get to see how bad he wants to get back in.

6) this in an opportunity for him to be fresh for the second half of the season.

7) bills are going to get better depth at QB one way or another.

It's tough, but there are always positive if you try to find them and looking at problems as opportunities isn't the same as ignoring them.

Are you kidding me?

There are absolutely no positives to having your rookie hopefully future franchise QB sitting in the booth on game days. None.

There is no better experience than being in the game and learning from your mistakes. You can't do that from the booth.

We knew playoffs were a pipe dream coming into the season, so all I wanted from this year was to see steady incremental development of our QB.

That can't happen on the bench.

RTB

I agree that playing the game is a better experience than not playing the game, but that is quite different than saying there is nothing to be gained from the experience of watching the game develop at the shoulder of the OC. Manuel playing is not possible. Why on earth would you possibly not look to gain all that is possible. Your one dimensional approach simply makes little sense to me in reality.

I am not seeing any positives either. In fact, I am worried about the trickle down effect. Part of the reason that I am on board with Freeman is b/c guys like Robert Woods, TJ Graham and Marquis Goodwin need to continue to develop. I am not sure that is possible with Tuel or some of the other scrubs out on the market.

Goes further than that - backs being ineffective against stacked boxes, our gassed defense if we can't consistently produce.... A team goes as their qb does. Ejs hurt and it will hurt everyone - all 53.

Heck, our rookie OC is likely to struggle

Edited by NoSaint

This

Plus if the Bills FO gets religion about the need for a quality backup and not low-balling it

Isn't that what Kolb was supposed to be? Hard to predict things playing out the way they did in preseason, leaving the Bills in this situation. There really wasn't anyone better to bring in week 4 of preseason, was there? This mess has nothing to do with money.

I am still depressed from Thursday night. It is even more depressing that there is no Bills game tomorrow. It just doesn't feel right. I am not upset at the Bills at all. I actually thought they played really well despite the injuries. Saw a ton of good things. Just depressed that the EJ injury happened, in my mind it caused them to lose, and that he is out now indefinitely. I really felt like this team was good enough to make the playoffs. I could be delusional, but with the secondary coming back healthy I don't see why we couldn't. It just doesn't seem like the same team now. OK, pity party over.