ESPN...Teams targeting tired Bills D

Kemp2Warlick

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs. No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help. Pace is not the problem - execution is. If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.

There is a better way to fix it - make first downs. No matter how much they slow down, if the cannot stay on the filed, it is not going to help. Pace is not the problem - execution is. If they cannot fix that, it does not matter how long they do or do not take to snap the ball.

It just doesn't matter as much if they don't make first downs. Clearly going 3 and out kills your defense but you're dismissing all the other opportunities for rest. What about 2 first downs and then a punt? That could be anywhere from say 2-4.5 minutes. Ask anyone who's ever boxed, wrestled, or played on the line in football, that kind of rest can be crucial. We're not ready to run plays that fast. In theory it sounds simply wonderful with the problems we have on offense it sounds stubborn.

Frankly, that's not an option at this point. Slowing down is.

It just doesn't matter as much if they don't make first downs. Clearly going 3 and out kills your defense but you're dismissing all the other opportunities for rest. What about 2 first downs and then a punt? That could be anywhere from say 2-4.5 minutes. Ask anyone who's ever boxed, wrestled, or played on the line in football, that kind of rest can be crucial. We're not ready to run plays that fast. In theory it sounds simply wonderful with the problems we have on offense it sounds stubborn.

Getting 2 first downs and punting is still making first downs and is not a pace or tempo related solution to extending drives.

Right?

Every time this topic comes up I can only think of Parcells after Super Bowl 25: "Power wins football games." He repeated it so many times I think I remember puking.

In essence, he was dissing the 'no huddle, hurry up game' the Bills employed.....and trumpeting traditional offense. Sounds like the current debate all these years later.

I'd like to see the coaches scrap this no huddle garbage, it makes no sense with such a young offense.

I read the opposite awhile ago... that they actually tend to use it more with young/rookie QBs because it helps them with the defenses not being able to substitute. Not sure how accurate that is but it made sense at the time. No, I don't have a link. :)

I read the opposite awhile ago... that they actually tend to use it more with young/rookie QBs because it helps them with the defenses not being able to substitute. Not sure how accurate that is but it made sense at the time. No, I don't have a link. :)

That was probably true at one point but defenses have adapted. The Jets seemed to substitute without too many issues last Sunday.

Using the same 3rd down conversion percentage, I would invite anybody with the time or inclination to calculate just how much extra rest time the offense would have saved for our defense by taking the maximum time allowed between snaps.

Rogers wasn't undressed in the secondary because he was tired.

Our LBs didn't take improper pursuit angles or over pursue because they were tired.

It's a question of execution.

GO BILLS!!!