Jim Leonhard on the last two punt returns...

Special K

Obviously, McK is the number 1 PR, and was hurt, but why put Leonhard back there when a big return was needed.

If the Bills had the lead, and wanted a sure-handed guy to make a fair catch I'm all for having Leonhard back there.

The situation called for someone with the potential to break off a big return and putting someone with less PR experience was worth the risk at that point.

Woods, Easley, Graham were better options at that point, IMO.

Was this a head-scratcher to anyone else??

Leonhard seems like a very safe, milquetoast pick. 6 years ago, sure. But he isn't even as fast as he was six years ago, which was... not super fast.

I, sadly, broke out the phrase punt catcher

As a guy in a unit killed by injuries I don't like it. Put Easley out there unless he's a serious disaster.

The kickoff return by Easley was TERRIBLE. I mean he appeared to have zero elusiveness. The first guy there took him down all alone, and Easley pretty much ran right into him.

I understand that McKelvin was injured, but why haven't they been grooming another guy anyway, considering he is their top CB right now? Jim Leonard is just wrong on so many levels.

I had no idea why Leonhard was there. If he got hurt then we are down to #4 and 5 safeties and #5 and 6 CB's.

Anyone can get hurt at anytime.....unless you're on the bench. Players play. It's simple. Can't play in fear of getting someone hurt.

Anyone can get hurt at anytime.....unless you're on the bench. Players play. It's simple. Can't play in fear of getting someone hurt.

That decision is made in the return game often - it's higher risk and for a star (or in this case simply vital) player - you pull him.

You say this but if any of those guys dropped it then you would be signing a different tune. He is used to returning punts unlike the others.

you mean kind of like if JL dropped it or got hurt, or those guys got a good return you would be?

im looking at it as a decision making process and our secondary can ill afford another hit, while our WRs are in good shape. id rather have a more explosive backup at a healthy unit back there than a healthy guy at a decimated group who is essentially a punt catcher at this point in his career.

you mean kind of like if JL dropped it or got hurt, or those guys got a good return you would be?

im looking at it as a decision making process and our secondary can ill afford another hit, while our WRs are in good shape. id rather have a more explosive backup at a healthy unit back there than a healthy guy at a decimated group who is essentially a punt catcher at this point in his career.

Or he was he best PR we had to put out.

Or he was he best PR we had to put out.

which is a subjective decision that some in this thread are saying they weight different attributes and aspects of the call in a way that our coaching staff doesnt.

while JL may have the most reliable hands/tracking of the ball, he is way more valuable at safety given the state of our secondary than easley is at WR and not as explosive as a guy like easley.

Edited by NoSaint

which is a subjective decision that some in this thread are saying they weight different attributes and aspects of the call in a way that our coaching staff doesnt.

while JL may have the most reliable hands/tracking of the ball, he is way more valuable at safety given the state of our secondary than easley is at WR and not as explosive as a guy like easley.