Jimbo on Mike & Mike this morning

merlin

Jim Kelly was interviewed on Mike & Mike this morning.

Highlights:

1. His health (jaw cancer) is good.

2. He talks/texts to EJ Manuel fairly often.

3. Compared the players surrounding EJ (Spiller, Eric Wood, Stevie J) with what he had (Thurman, Hull, Andre), and also the fact that the Bills are running a similar up-temp offense to what he did.

4. Thinks EJ has both the physical and mental abilities to be a great NFL QB. Main focus has to be on keeping him healthy by limiting the times he has to run out of the pocket, teaching him to slide or get out of bounds.

5. Had a meeting with Congressional leaders in Washington yesterday to promote newborn screening testing.

Edited by merlin

Highlights:

3. Compared the players surrounding EJ (Spiller, Eric Wood, Stevie J) with what he had (Thurman, Hull, Andre), and also the fact the the Bills are running a similar up-temp offense to what he had.

4. Thinks EJ has both the physical and mental abilities to be a great NFL QB. Main focus has to be on keeping him healthy by limiting the times he has to run out of the pocket, teaching him to slide or get out of bounds.

5. Had a meeting with Congressional leaders in Washington yesterday to promote newborn screening testing.

What struck me the most about his interview (he sounded great by the way) was his comparison of Stevie to Reed. Kind of a stretch, but we can hope that connection is half as good between he and EJ! I love his mentioning of Hull. No doubt, he was a huge factor in the Bills offensive production at that time and why they have locked up Wood instead of say, Byrd. I also noticed that while most people focus on EJ's poise, character, etc when talking about him, Jim seemed to think his best traits were his physical tools. That means they are phenomenal. I also noticed, like you said, that he said that while EJ may be a good runner, they don't necessarily want to incorporate that too much into the game plan and only use that ability when needed for exacapability, as they want him to remain in this role for 8, 10, 12 years. In comaprison to the RG3 drama, where he is (was) a running machine and now a shell of what he was in only his 2nd year. I do hope for RG3 that he will get back to where he was. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

What struck me the most about his interview (he sounded great by the way) was his comparison of Stevie to Reed. Kind of a stretch, but we can hope that connection is half as good between he and EJ! I love his mentioning of Hull. No doubt, he was a huge factor in the Bills offensive production at that time and why they have locked up Wood instead of say, Byrd. I also noticed that while most people focus on EJ's poise, character, etc when talking about him, Jim seemed to think his best traits were his physical tools. That means they are phenomenal. I also noticed, like you said, that he said that while EJ may be a good runner, they don't necessarily want to incorporate that too much into the game plan and only use that ability when needed for exacapability, as they want him to remain in this role for 8, 10, 12 years. In comaprison to the RG3 drama, where he is (was) a running machine and now a shell of what he was in only his 2nd year. I do hope for RG3 that he will get back to where he was.

I wish Robert Woods will start getting more recognition. This guy has played two outstanding games for the Buffalo Bills and so has Kiko Alonzo.

I wish Robert Woods will start getting more recognition. This guy has played two outstanding games for the Buffalo Bills and so has Kiko Alonzo.

Woods is maybe my favorite draft pick. His competitive attitude is top-notch and it brings his talent level higher. The guy can do everything and he wants to win. He should have started from day 1.

Give it time. Give it time.

Right now the national media - including the EN-EFF-EL Network of nitwits is too busy focusing on every storyline from last year. They're hashing and rehashing RG3, Kap, Wilson, Kelly/Reid (not OUR Kelly-to-Reed), and fantasy football to care enough to cover in depth teams that aren't in the national spotlight. The Bills, much as we love 'em, are not a national spotlight team. Give it time. They will return to relevance soon - in spite of what some gainsayers here pontificate on a regular basis.

People talk about woods. A new NFL article came out about Woods on NFL network. He was also up for offensive player of the week.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

What struck me the most about his interview (he sounded great by the way) was his comparison of Stevie to Reed. Kind of a stretch, but we can hope that connection is half as good between he and EJ! I love his mentioning of Hull. No doubt, he was a huge factor in the Bills offensive production at that time and why they have locked up Wood instead of say, Byrd. I also noticed that while most people focus on EJ's poise, character, etc when talking about him, Jim seemed to think his best traits were his physical tools. That means they are phenomenal. I also noticed, like you said, that he said that while EJ may be a good runner, they don't necessarily want to incorporate that too much into the game plan and only use that ability when needed for exacapability, as they want him to remain in this role for 8, 10, 12 years. In comaprison to the RG3 drama, where he is (was) a running machine and now a shell of what he was in only his 2nd year. I do hope for RG3 that he will get back to where he was.

I didn't hear Jim compare Stevie to Andre unless I miss heard it this morning. I heard Jim say there's a lot of similarities with Hull/Wood, and Thomas/Jackson & Spiller.

I didn't hear Jim compare Stevie to Andre unless I miss heard it this morning. I heard Jim say there's a lot of similarities with Hull/Wood, and Thomas/Jackson & Spiller.

He said that he had Thurman, Reed, Lofton and Hull, and EJ has a very similar group with Spiller/Jackson, SJ, and Wood. The way he said it, he intimated that SJ is a strong enough WR to do what Reed did for him.

Woods is silently killing teams. They can't focus on Stevie anymore which helped to open up Stevie for his big game last week. So even though Woods is doing well stats-wise, it's the hidden value (allowing Stevie to make plays) that's really going to help our team.

Kiko was sub par in the first game. I didn't watch the all 22 of the 2nd game but with the D line dominating the way they did, it probably made it a lot easier on him so he probably did well. I still think he can be a really good player (the fact he is an every down player as a rookie is obviously a good sign of things to come). I think he is still raw but with Pettine I'm sure they will mold him into a great player.

Overall, being able to trade back and still get EJ PLUS also an extra pick and getting both Woods and Kiko in round 2, man for once it looks like we did really well in the draft and those players are making an immediate impact!

Highlights:

3. Compared the players surrounding EJ (Spiller, Eric Wood, Stevie J) with what he had (Thurman, Hull, Andre), and also the fact that the Bills are running a similar up-temp offense to what he did.

Great Info. Thanks for report!

Right now the national media - including the EN-EFF-EL Network of nitwits is too busy focusing on every storyline from last year. They're hashing and rehashing RG3, Kap, Wilson, Kelly/Reid (not OUR Kelly-to-Reed), and fantasy football to care enough to cover in depth teams that aren't in the national spotlight. The Bills, much as we love 'em, are not a national spotlight team. Give it time. They will return to relevance soon - in spite of what some gainsayers here pontificate on a regular basis.

This is getting sooooo old. Move on, media.

I think we I think the media will pay more attention if we win a few in a row. The rookies are playing lights out, and Mario is demonstrating that he is a player worthy of his contract as of late. I'm not too worried about coverage. Right now we are perceived as a dull team in the 22-32 range and a "so-what" team. We'll work our way up from that attitude with a few more wins. Ed.

Question is, like 1989, is Jairus Byrd our Chris Burkett, a player not really needed and who will get passed by because Pettine's system renders him way too expensive?

I think that we just have to continue to add young talent and let it build, and so long as our play calling improves as Manuel improves, I'm good.

Fasten your seatbelts! :)

1. Thanks, OP, for the summary of the interview.

2. The longer the national media pays no attention to us, the better, IMO. A win vs. the Jets and the coverage will really be on the incline. Let the focus stay on the teams and players they've been salivating over since pre-season ... while Buffalo quietly takes care of business.

Agree, big time. You nailed it about NFL Nitwits!