Blocks of Seats empty at Carolina Game

bigK14094

At the game Sunday, I noted several large blocks of seats were totally empty. This was not consistent with the advertised "sold out" condition. This was both in the south upper deck (I could not see the north upper deck) and the south red seats (mostly under cover) I estimate that 3-4 thousand seat were empty there. If it was sporatic attendance, there would have been scatter folks in those areas. These areas were really devote of anybody. So, I conclude that the game was not a sell out, and these blocks did not sell at all. So, why the "sold out" status and local TV. I am thinking that the Bills are doing this to promote interest after many loosing seasons.....and in anticipation of accepting 90 Million NYS dollars to redo the stadium. They don't want a flap about a blackout right now. Anyhow, I know when the stadium isn't full (40 year season ticket holder), and the stadium was missing a lot of folks on Sunday. Surprised this hasn't already surfaced on this forum.

Biggest open spots I saw were the premium club seats.... I dunno if those are unsold or if people are just inside for most of the game.

There was I would guess 15 rows spanning 3 sections of the Visitor Upper Deck Corner by the jumbotron side totally unoccupied. The announce crowd was over 65K so there were around 7K empty seats which is high for a sellout.

There was I would guess 15 rows spanning 3 sections of the Visitor Upper Deck Corner by the jumbotron side totally unoccupied. The announce crowd was over 65K so there were around 7K empty seats which is high for a sellout.

Ahhh.... i couldn't see up there during the game.

Biggest open spots I saw were the premium club seats.... I dunno if those are unsold or if people are just inside for most of the game.

Those sections are pretty much sold out, just a different crowd. I have sat there a couple times and most of the people stay inside and sit at table to watch all the games. Usually more in colder weather games, but looks like most didn't even bother coming to this one.

Just a guess, but don't forget about secondary market here. Many "sold" seats are those bought by season tix holders with the express purpose of "stub hubbing" them to defray the cost of their seasons. They have first crack at these seats before single game tix are made available to the public. They tend to buy up games in the earlier good weather portion of the season. A couple thousand seats were available on stub hub mid week before this game. My guess is that the Bills successfully moving their unsold seats in time for the TV blackout to be lifted killed the secondary market for this game. Why buy a over face value resale ticket when the game is on TV, or if you really wanted to attend, the Bills box office was discounting off face value? If the blackout had remained in effect, the stands would have been nearly full.

Those sections are pretty much sold out, just a different crowd. I have sat there a couple times and most of the people stay inside and sit at table to watch all the games. Usually more in colder weather games, but looks like most didn't even bother coming to this one.

This has been my experience as well. I simply do not understand why those club holders bother to come out to the game, then sit inside and pretend they're at their neighborhood Chili's.

Just a guess, but don't forget about secondary market here. Many "sold" seats are those bought by season tix holders with the express purpose of "stub hubbing" them to defray the cost of their seasons. They have first crack at these seats before single game tix are made available to the public. They tend to buy up games in the earlier good weather portion of the season. A couple thousand seats were available on stub hub mid week before this game. My guess is that the Bills successfully moving their unsold seats in time for the TV blackout to be lifted killed the secondary market for this game. Why buy a over face value resale ticket when the game is on TV, or if you really wanted to attend, the Bills box office was discounting off face value? If the blackout had remained in effect, the stands would have been nearly full.

Thos who get season tickets may not go for whatever reason. With Toronto getting Atlanta, Carolina was probably the lowest interest game of the season where if people were going to pass on a game this is the game to pass.

Also doing 3 games in 4 weeks can be tough for some people with other responsibilities.

Many renewed before the schedule was even announced.

Corporate sponsors bought the rest. They lose out on marketing/ad revenue when games are blacked out.

This is what I was thinking. They should have given them to boys and girls clubs, though...........And, from I remember - my seats are north lower - I thought it was mostly lower rows upper deck on the south side - furthest sections over.........Which is a little weird because usually it is the high rows........At first I thought a bunch of buses were late and were going to fill in the seats.

I do not believe the club seats count for "sold out" status. Anyone know for sure?

Frankly, I think lots of people just have the tics and don't go to every game. I know when I had seasons , I did not make it to every game and could not always find someone to go at the last minute. Plus once the blackout is lifted, lots of season ticket holders just stay home, maybe some are waiting for signs of hope, which they got yesterday.

this.

But their front 7 is very good. If I were Rivera I'd take the same chance.

Not I.

And I think most people would have went for it as well.

It's funny, if you go to the Panthers forum on their game thread they called it 10 minutes before it happened. They said they have to go for every 4th down or their defense WILL let the opposing offense score and win.

Their offense was gashing us on 5 to 10 yard runs. No way we stop them on that 4th and I.

I'm happy they didn't go for it. But it would have been the right move.