POLL: Top 3 Reasons for the Loss

The Big Cat

TOP 3 REASONS FOR THE LOSS  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Top 3 Reasons We Lost (Pick 3)

1.) !@#$ Tom Brady.

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure you're asking. But it works out such that the Pats* would have taken over at 4:05 rather than 4:31.

I see what I did here. You're right. Let me restate my case. IIRC Fred was gaining about 4 yards a carry late in the game. Again as I recall the first 2 downs were runs making it 3rd and 2 or maybe 3. Each of those runs came with about 20 - 25 seconds left on the play clock. Had we let the clock work down on each of the first 2 downs that would have been at least another 40 seconds. The 3rd down incomplete pass stopped the clock. Another run - even if it came up short - would have worked another 20 - 25 seconds off the clock. Best case scenario, first down. Next best, we bleed off another minute off the clock, then punt. Worst case, they have to burn some timeouts, but with the same amount of time left. I think one minute less, or no timeouts changes the dynamics.

One more thing for the good of the order. Spillers fumble and our fumble return for the TD are a wash. Stuff happens.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what I did here. You're right. Let me restate my case. IIRC Fred was gaining about 4 yards a carry late in the game. Again as I recall the first 2 downs were runs making it 3rd and 2 or maybe 3. Each of those runs came with about 20 - 25 seconds left on the play clock. Had we let the clock work down on each of the first 2 downs that would have been at least another 40 seconds. The 3rd down incomplete pass stopped the clock. Another run - even if it came up short - would have worked another 20 - 25 seconds off the clock. Best case scenario, first down. Next best, we bleed off another minute off the clock, then punt. Worst case, they have to burn some timeouts, but with the same amount of time left. I think one minute less, or no timeouts changes the dynamics.

One more thing for the good of the order. Spillers fumble and our fumble return for the TD are a wash. Stuff happens.

1st down - run by Spiller

2nd down - incomplete pass, clock stopped.

3rd down - pass to Chandler

4th down - punt with 3 seconds left on play clock.

They had ONE opportunity to run more clock on that series and that was after the Spiller run, when they snapped it with 26 seconds left on the play clock. If they had run it on 2nd down vs. the incomplete pass, that would have given them another opportunity but it's a moot point.

GO BILLS!!!

Putting Spiller AND Jackson in the backfield would force defenses honor the run and open up play actions. Why not?

Hackett has NO intention of showing his hand yet. We are rebuilding. Patriots was a schemed preseason game.

Let s watch how they progress from game to game and if EJ gets protection and comfy.

Bill's plan from top to bottom was stop spiller then slow down the run. We knew it they knew it. It was exercise for the things to come.

But BB the spiller jackson things ? hell yes. great threat indeed

Pats tested Alonso for 91 plays. He passed the trial by fire. The kid played everysnap, not bad for the rookie linebacker whom BB had targeted generally speaking. if he improves so will the Bills. and he will..

Edited by 3rdand12

I think the Bills defense's inability to get off the field on third down hurt more than the Bills offense's inability to convert.

I think the two are to some extent related. In a hurry-up, when you don't convert, the D barely gets to the sideline before they're back out there

Hackett has NO intention of showing his hand yet. We are rebuilding. Patriots was a schemed preseason game.

Other stuff you say makes some sense. I'm sorry, this is just wrong. That was a game. Opening day game.

No coach worth his salt would see it as you say.

The offense as a whole was off. There were just too many 3 and outs. Execution was not there but for a lot of reasons. Penalties killed drives. CJ could not find a seam. Turnovers lead to 14 easy points for the Patriots. EJ threw some floaters. Receivers let some get away. Coach is too conservative when it's 4th and short(I am not yet in the camp that we should have tried to eat up more clock at the end of the game. Execution will fix the the clock management problem by put us in a more comfortable lead before attempting to run out the clock).

A lot of things that are very fixable. The defense was playing with their hearts on their sleeve and believe the offense was too, but there were some boneheaded mistakes in this game. If this offense really starts clicking, and we get Byrd and Gilmore back, this is going to be one hell of a team. Overall, I came away from this game feeling like our team was more dominant, but the mistakes need to be addressed and fixed. I was proud of my team but I think they still have some work to do. This isn't a sprint. It's a marathon. Not giving them a pass, but I'm not going to call this the same old Bills...not by a long shot.

Given that NE was selling out to stop CJ, I would like to have seen both backs on the field, CJ split wide more, Freddy getting the ball more, and a little more downfield look. There were more of those plays there and two of them were called back on penalties.

Penalties and turnovers cost you games without question, though. When you lose, it's usually because you couldn't overcome those mistakes.

The Patriots D was keying on Spiller and stopping him cold, and yet the Bills just kept running him.

On the 3rd series or so, the first play the Bills went shotgun spread with 4 wide and Spiller the single back. Looking like a passing play on first down, and they handed off to CJ and he gained 8 yards. (The same type of play that Gailey used to run last year with great success)Then the Bills switched up formations and didn't run that play again, dunno why.

Bottom line... that the Bills couldn't control the LoS or the clock, and Spiller was held to a paltry 2.4 YPC avg, 41 yards on 17 carries. Run blocking didn't open holes for Spiller

I know no one here likes tj graham but what about when he roasted his man and was wide open for a TD (or at the very least a first and goal) and EJ threw it about three yards out of bounds?

That one play had the potential to change the game more than any other missed opportunity or mistake.

But choosing any one of those reasons doesn't make any sense. It's like a choose your own adventure book. If Spiller balls out, or they don't commit all those penalties, or Stevie makes the catch, etc., does that automatically mean the Bills win?

No, it just creates a different set of circumstances. Maybe Brady makes an even more incredible comeback. Let's say Stevie makes that catch. Maybe Manuel makes a rookie mistake. Maybe CJ fumbles again. Maybe they run out the clock, maybe not.

Overall, the D played great. But their inability to make a clutch stop on the final drive had more of an impact than any other factor. Despite all the "reasons" listed, the Bills were in a position to win until about a minute left.

So let's not harp on all these negatives and instead focus on the fact despite their shortcomings and miscues, the Bills had the pats on the ropes. I'm not big on moral victories, and a loss is a loss, but yesterday's performance was a hell of a lot better than the drubbings the Bills have suffered the past few years.

Let's face it. In the end the experienced coach did what his experience told him to do. Brady and team were sub par and we exceeded all expectations. We will learn from this. Patriots wll not. They were totally exposed in the Super Bowl and their decline is near.

You don't try and drain the clock with 5 minutes left in a 1 point game. You try to pick up first downs which means you have to throw the ball. I agree they should have nixed the hurry-up but the team would be getting even more flack if they just ran three times and punted.

I know no one here likes tj graham but what about when he roasted his man and was wide open for a TD (or at the very least a first and goal) and EJ threw it about three yards out of bounds?

That one play had the potential to change the game more than any other missed opportunity or mistake.

But choosing any one of those reasons doesn't make any sense. It's like a choose your own adventure book. If Spiller balls out, or they don't commit all those penalties, or Stevie makes the catch, etc., does that automatically mean the Bills win?

No, it just creates a different set of circumstances. Maybe Brady makes an even more incredible comeback. Let's say Stevie makes that catch. Maybe Manuel makes a rookie mistake. Maybe CJ fumbles again. Maybe they run out the clock, maybe not.

Overall, the D played great. But their inability to make a clutch stop on the final drive had more of an impact than any other factor. Despite all the "reasons" listed, the Bills were in a position to win until about a minute left.

So let's not harp on all these negatives and instead focus on the fact despite their shortcomings and miscues, the Bills had the pats on the ropes. I'm not big on moral victories, and a loss is a loss, but yesterday's performance was a hell of a lot better than the drubbings the Bills have suffered the past few years.

Gee thanks, Captain Obvious!

You are no fun.

What, next are you gonna mention that they started a a rookie QB that didn't even have a complete preseason, and that most here didn't even give the Bills a chance to compete in this game?

Or are you gonna bring up that even the veterans were playing completely new offensive and defensive schemes? Or that Marrone was making his debut against the best coach in the game for the last decade?

No, you have to bring up obvious, positive points, and undercut all the fun for the negative creeps that hang out on this board.

I'm gonna talk to the mods about banning you.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Let's face it. In the end the experienced coach did what his experience told him to do. Brady and team were sub par and we exceeded all expectations. We will learn from this. Patriots wll not. They were totally exposed in the Super Bowl and their decline is near.

I agree. I think the Bills made an impression on the Pats, and have put a little apprehension in their minds. I think the rest of the league (especially this division) saw some chinks in the armor too.

The Bills got some nice hits on Brady too. I think that will help going into the next Pats/Bills matchup. The Bills are no longer intimidated by the Pats.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I place a lot of blame on the "offensive" play calling. For all the hype, it really was very vanilla. Some of that was protecting Manuel, rarely were they in anymore than a three receiver set with max protection, and it sure looked like they kept calling the same running play the entire game--i.e., no read option. Again, was this to protect Manuel's knee?

Take note, in the few times the ball was targeted down the field, it worked = Touchdowns.

However, i think one BIG factor that has not been mentioned much, was starting field position. How many drives did the Bills start inside their own 20?