POLL: Top 3 Reasons for the Loss

The Big Cat

TOP 3 REASONS FOR THE LOSS  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Top 3 Reasons We Lost (Pick 3)

This over and over.

What about better execution by Pats.

... and especially Brady able to thread the needle on several passes when the game was on the line.

1.) The patriots were 11/20 on the third downs. Not great, not terrible either, especially considering how many damn plays the d had to play.

2.) What fun is it when you credit your opponent for beating you?

3.) !@#$ Tom Brady.

:thumbsup:

Yeah I do. It would be 26 seconds per play right.

I'm not sure you're asking. But it works out such that the Pats* would have taken over at 4:05 rather than 4:31.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Given the number of lousy starting positions the offense put them in, it's hard to fault the defense for too much. They weren't perfect, but they did enough to win - including scoring one of the team's 3 TD's.

The offense only put up 14 points - against NE you can't blame the defense too much.

Oh, I thought the defense was great. I'm just saying the third downs were a huge factor from my point of view. Of course there are dozens of factors in play.

I went with Spiller, the drop and penalties.

I do think the coaching should have slowed down on their last possession to run some more time off but even if you leave a minute on the clock, Brady would have beaten us if they were within a TD.

Again. Break it down. It comes out to 26 seconds.

That's if you want to argue facts alone.

Rather, what you're supporting is a play-not-to-lose strategy, at home, week one, against a division rival. No thanks.

Since Spiller is becoming a popular scapegoat (for lack of better term), I'd like to add that Marrone mentioned in his press conference that NE* was one of the best rush defenses last year.

That's very true. Averaging 3.9 ypc allowed, they were sixth best in the NFL.

Therefore they shouldn't have been so predictable and repeatly run on 1st down, which put them at 2nd and long. And Spiller was ineffective compared to Jackson. Why not try both in the backfield for a few plays, and use more play action on 1st down. Play calls, Spiller ineffective, and penalties.

Let's be honest - It's all about clock management and the absurdity of running a "No Huddle" offense. It did nothing to their Defense. All it did was kill our D. Even lispy lip Dan Dierdorf couldn't stop bashing it. He did it during a preseason game as well. How many times are we gonna try this? This is NOT Marv Levy and Jim Kelly. Biggest mistake IMO - Not going for it on 4th down with Freddie. So tired, so tired, so tired. After the 1st quarter I think we had 3 yards after deducting the penalties yards. Does anyone have stats on opening game wins within the past 20 years? I remember 1 - last year vs Chiefs. Woopie do!

Points off of turnovers was even so I have to say - Stevie's drop, Penalties, and Spiller's bad day at the office.

Let's be honest - It's all about clock management and the absurdity of running a "No Huddle" offense. It did nothing to their Defense. All it did was kill our D. Even lispy lip Dan Dierdorf couldn't stop bashing it. He did it during a preseason game as well. How many times are we gonna try this? This is NOT Marv Levy and Jim Kelly. Biggest mistake IMO - Not going for it on 4th down with Freddie. So tired, so tired, so tired. After the 1st quarter I think we had 3 yards after deducting the penalties yards. Does anyone have stats on opening game wins within the past 20 years? I remember 1 - last year vs Chiefs. Woopie do!

We got crushed by the Jets opening game last year...the Chiefs win was 2 years ago.

I think "Spiller being ineffective" is kind of misleading. I think the Patriots were keying on stopping him, and that opened up other opportunities that maybe weren't exploited to the fullest. That is why I voted "Playcalling" instead.

This was the debut of a rookie QB that didn't even have a complete preseason, and a coaching debut for a roookie coach against the best in the business.

They are going to get a lot better very soon.

I think the Bills defense's inability to get off the field on third down hurt more than the Bills offense's inability to convert.

if the offense converts on 3rd down more often, then the defense is not on the field all day, like they were yesterday.

Therefore they shouldn't have been so predictable and repeatly run on 1st down, which put them at 2nd and long. And Spiller was ineffective compared to Jackson. Why not try both in the backfield for a few plays, and use more play action on 1st down. Play calls, Spiller ineffective, and penalties.

Putting Spiller AND Jackson in the backfield would force defenses honor the run and open up play actions. Why not?

Play calling, inability on 3rd downs & Penalties.

The lack of penalties on the call backs would have changed the tone of the game a lot...

Next would be converting on 3rd down; if we would have gotten a few more conversions we could have easily ran the clock out...

Better playvcalling from Hackett on the last few series could have changed the outcome...

I only voted 'the drop'. Of course the penalties and fumble were critical and Marrone's Bills have been terrible with penalties in their 5 showings. A Trend that must be addressed. Sadly, -and I hate to acknowledge this since we lost- but the blatant MISSED calls against NE* boardered criminal!

All that said, IMO, SJ's drop where and when it happened was the most damaging as 2 more minutes come off the clock if we had to punt 4 downs later with better field position, while still holding 3 TO's. Stevie is an entertaining player but his time has come to be seriously considered among the teams' finest ever WR and I don't think many here believe he's worthy of that -3 straight 1000 yrd seasons notwithstanding.

His drop set up the eventual final moments.