Marrone - this loss is on you both

BreezeMafia

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Secondly, I am going to be cussing Doug Marrone every week if he does not change his "up-tempo" offense at the end of games. I'm fine with running it (the up-tempo) up until about 4 minutes to go in either the half or the game. From there, you have to manage the clock as it best fits you; not just blindly run your up tempo offense as if the clock doesn't exist. I was ready to kill him on that three and out with about 5 minutes to go. Our runs were way too predictable and we used no time. Who on earth other than Doug Marrone didn't know for a fact that New England was going to manage the clock perfectly and win the game. He botched the hell out of this. If he does not change this, we'll lose games because of it. We may have lost today because of it. He will not succeed if he does not change.

This.

Marrone / Hackett had to eat clock there... and they kept at it with the hurry-up and took about 30 seconds before the punt.

Inexcusable.

This is the NFL and clock management / killing time in the fourth Q is a proven strategy. Especially with Brady, and especially in crunch time, you've gotta keep him off the field. And there we were going with dumb---- plays that set things up for BB perfectly.

And this is a Pats* team that is at its worst shape in over a decade.

Liked the fact that he had the team ready to play and hitting hard. Tha said, there were some major coaching concerns:

* Challenge in the first quarter on the Pat's running back fumbling. - It made no difference as the Pat's recovered anyway. Wasted timeout that was even questoned by the announcers (Bad decision)

* Not giving Fred Jackson more touches. It was obvious that Fred came to play today. Not sure what was going on with Spiller, but Jackson should have been used more

* Time Management in the Fourth Quarter - With the lead, the Bills should have adjusted their gameplan and went with using more clock to give the Pat's less time to comeback. It seemed like it was Marrone's own hubris which cost him their as it seemed he was determined to continue with the rapid fire palycalling. Stupid decision where there could easily have taken more time off of the clock, especially calling a passing play on thet 30 second drive with 5 minutes to go. He should have adjuted to the situatiuon and did not.

Hopefully he will learn from this....

This.

Marrone / Hackett had to eat clock there... and they kept at it with the hurry-up and took about 30 seconds before the punt.

Inexcusable.

This is the NFL and clock management / killing time in the fourth Q is a proven strategy. Especially with Brady, and especially in crunch time, you've gotta keep him off the field. And there we were going with dumb---- plays that set things up for BB perfectly.

WTF does "especially Brady" mean? No NFL QB but "especially Brady" is going to run out of time when he has > 2minutes to get in FG range. We couldn't take it under 2minutes by running clock unless they changed the playclock to 180 seconds in the offseason.

Secondly, I am going to be cussing Doug Marrone every week if he does not change his "up-tempo" offense at the end of games. I'm fine with running it (the up-tempo) up until about 4 minutes to go in either the half or the game. From there, you have to manage the clock as it best fits you; not just blindly run your up tempo offense as if the clock doesn't exist. I was ready to kill him on that three and out with about 5 minutes to go. Our runs were way too predictable and we used no time. Who on earth other than Doug Marrone didn't know for a fact that New England was going to manage the clock perfectly and win the game. He botched the hell out of this. If he does not change this, we'll lose games because of it. We may have lost today because of it. He will not succeed if he does not change.

Way too many penalties killed drives. Usually on big plays that were drive starters we got them whcih is so frustrating. We'll have to work these out. Hopefully, the refs were just screwing us this game. New England had like no big penalties. Infuriating. However, if this is a real issue it will continue to bite us hard and this is also on Marrone.

Inexcusable.

* Time Management in the Fourth Quarter - With the lead, the Bills should have adjusted their gameplan and went with using more clock to give the Pat's less time to comeback. It seemed like it was Marrone's own hubris which cost him their as it seemed he was determined to continue with the rapid fire paly calling. Stupid decision where there could easily have taken more time off of the clock, especially calling a passing play on the 30 second drive with 5 minutes to go. He should have adjusted to the situation and did not.

Re the 4th qtr clock management: I totally agree with the astute posters above, although I mentioned this basic football coaching tactic in another thread and was soundly berated by some smarter football minds. LOL

And yes, the penalties definitely were a factor in this game. The Bills need to clean it up or it will be very hard to win. OTOH, how any team in the NFL can go a whole game without getting an offensive holding penalty called on them is mind boggling.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am not a fan of the extremely predictable run scheme. Every run play was basically hike it to Manuel in the shotgun and just hand it to either Fred or CJ next to him. Let them choose a hole and run. It was so predictable. Also, when the back gets the ball he has no forward momentum to gash the defense. It was horrendous. They'll have to mix this up more. I'm sorry but I'm not a fan.

Way too many penalties killed drives. Usually on big plays that were drive starters we got them whcih is so frustrating. We'll have to work these out. Hopefully, the refs were just screwing us this game. New England had like no big penalties. Infuriating. However, if this is a real issue it will continue to bite us hard and this is also on Marrone.

Our team is a bunch of p*ssies. Mario spent time on the sidelines in a huge game for us in the heat of battle. No more excuses Mario. You're the 2nd coming of Albert Haynesworth. Prove me wrong. Byrd is a b*tch now. Plantar Fascitis? My *ass. I guarantee if he was traded tomorrow it would magically heal over night. Suit up and shut up. You're under contract and this team is paying you $6.9 million to play. Every player is complaining about some knick knack little injury so they have an excuse if they play poorly. Go produce. I don't want to hear about your injuries. Every player has knick ups. You just B word about every little one. Lots of our players are like this and I'm sick of it. Toughen up. We're supposed to be a blue collar squad.

Pettine is clearly light years better than Wannstedt. We made so many mistakes today and were in the game. I wanted to kill Spiller over that fumble. Pathetic. Too many stupid mistakes cost us and Marrone made some of them. I bet the players are in the locker rooms talking amongst themselves right now saying "what kind of clock management was that by coach?" It's hard to get in players faces and rip them when you're making big mistakes yourself.

Get it together!!!

+1

Doug Marrone - welcome to the NFL. Your strategy in the 4th quarter cost the Bills. No one else but you. You played to lose in the 4th quarter. Why don't you watch the Jets who allowed Geno Smith to actual play football

our loser veterans lost us this game. not doug marrone. same crap as ever.

It wasn't either one of those guys that dropped the ball on third down and allowed the Pats to come back and win. That was on Stevie. If he catches that ball, the Bills win the game and everybody is happy. He missed two like that today that killed drives. Marrone, Hackett and Pettine did their jobs. Stevie didn't do his. He gets paid to catch the football.

that's what I saw.

Maybe the flag just fell out of his hand, and he was too nervous to say anything.

That is hilarious!!!

It was the goofiest challenge I can recall. Like Marrone was trying to outthink the master hoodie.

So this coach will suffer through the growing pains as well as a rookie HC.

This.

Inexcusable.

And this is a Pats* team that is at its worst shape in over a decade.

And if they slowed it up and changed their philosophy in the fourth quarter and lost, you would be saying they got too conservative and that Marrone was another Dick Jauron. Do you forget how it was to have a conservative coach like Jauron? I haven't, and I say it's easy to second guess after the game is over. As thry say, hindsight is 20/20

I was thinking just let them them score on that last drive and save time. Clock management and situational play calling were suspect. Penalties. Did we see a screen pass or end around today?

I like marrone though, still undecided on Hackett. Give them the benefit of the doubt ,its week one. if it doesn't improve by mid season then, ya know. Getting pettine on the his staff was the best thing he could have done. It would have been ugly with the Stache.

Can all these :doh:wah, wah, wah :death: threads be merged, almost all of them are started by people with less than 200 posts (really, can we have a no threads started until 250 posts rule? I don't like to read this crap, feel like I'm not getting my money's worth). After the game the shout box was unbearable and this is affecting the quality of the site. My ignore list is up to the roster limit.

Not getting the Marrone criticism. Defense makes one or two stops or Johnson catches that 3rd down pass we're talking win.

I have to respectfully disagree, if anyone deserves criticism IMO it is certainly NOT the defense. The only TD drives the Pats had were off turnovers. Yeah, they gave up drives at the end of the game but when the offense gives up a quick three and out even a good defense can only stop a brady-run offense for so long.

Edited by Talley56

WTF does "especially Brady" mean? No NFL QB but "especially Brady" is going to run out of time when he has > 2minutes to get in FG range. We couldn't take it under 2minutes by running clock unless they changed the playclock to 180 seconds in the offseason.

Yeah, considering that the Patriots got the ball back with 4:30 left on the clock I'm wondering just how much extra time some of these posters think a slowdown approach would've eaten. Not to mention - suddenly a 1-point lead means it's time to go conservative and milk the clock?