Patriots roster looks weak

billsfan_34

Ok I used the search function and didnt see anyone talking about this so forgive me if i missed it. I went thru the Pats roster and they seem thin all over the place. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe im not in tune with all the college players or I am just missing something but besides Brady and a few leftovers they look very weak and beatable. Whats everyones thoughts?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've never really been a team of stars. My thoughts are that they still have a Hall of Fame quarterback and a good running game. The Bills should be able to score, though.

They also have had solid o lines thru the Brady years. Hopefully we can throw the kitchen sink at Brady...he crumbles under pressure up the middle.

The Patriots D, even in the past few years, has been good enough to get the job done. If I'm not mistaken they've ranked in the top 10 in yards in the NFL the past 3 years and been close to that in points allowed as well. With Brady on O all they need is a respectable D to get the job done. So while not dominant they're good enough given what their O generally does.

Had the Bills D ranked in the top 10 last year they might have made the playoffs.

12 is on the backend of his career. He is 36 years old. When Joe Montana's position was given to Steve young he was 37. He is in the twilight of his career even though he is still one of the best in the game that can't last forever. This is the weakest team they have had surrounding Brady thus far that i can remember. LET's GO BUFFALO!!!! So pumped to see us compete this year. COMPETE being the difference between this team and prior years.

With Brady at the helm they'll score points. Heck, they've scored no fewer than 34 PPG, for a total of 120 points, the last 3 times they played in Buffalo. The only uncertainty this time around is how well the new receivers they have brought in will perform in their new digs.

On defense, while they have given up large chunks of yardage, this team has, traditionally under Belichick, always been VG on scoring defense. So, while teams seem to be able to move the ball on them when it comes to putting the ball into the endzone, the Pats defense tends to rise to the occasion. Furthermore, the Pats are the leagues best defense at creating turnovers.

The Pats o-line and defense is better then people realize and they still have Brady

I also expect them to run a lot more this year

the big question is who is going to catch the ball for them? can amendola replace welker and can Thompkins make an immediate impact

Edited by Max997

Have you seen the wideouts they have? It is a mixed bag of garbage!

Amendola- a brittle wideout who has only started SEVENTEEN games in four seasons.

Edelman- the only consistent WR the Pats* have that is the only reliable WR they can count on.

Dobson- a 2nd round pick this year who has failed to impress. http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/08/aaron_dobsons_development_rema.html

Boyce- Injured early, but he's still getting into the system. Nothing he has done is that impressive.

Thompkins- An undrafted free agent who could go either way- a preseason Pro Bowler or a steady producer. How will he hold up when defenses play for real?

I know there's the scoreboard thing, but the Bills did look much better in the last 4 games vs Pats than the scoreboard showed.

I think that there will be a few players going into Sunday's game with a bigger chip on their shoulder. Freddy has to still be steaming about Spikes' dirty hit that caused a fumble, and Spiller wants redemption for that fumble at the goal line. Pettine's defenses have played well against Pats. If they can bottle up Ridley, there's a good chance for a competitive game on Sunday.

I've said this before about the pats and the go and set records for points in a season. Until 12 is retired I assume they will be a Super Bowl contender

True. But I don't think that he'll ever win another SB with NE*. I'm going with the historical perspective on this. No Head Coach/Starting QB have EVER lost a SB and then come back another year and won one. And by the way. They are also one of four teams to have lost the SB four times. Bills, Minni, Denver, Pats*.

Amendola- a brittle wideout who has only started SEVENTEEN games in four seasons.

Edelman- the only consistent WR the Pats* have that is the only reliable WR they can count on.

Dobson- a 2nd round pick this year who has failed to impress. http://www.boston.co...pment_rema.html

Boyce- Injured early, but he's still getting into the system. Nothing he has done is that impressive.

Thompkins- An undrafted free agent who could go either way- a preseason Pro Bowler or a steady producer. How will he hold up when defenses play for real?

While uncertainty exists amongst the Pats receiver ranks, the key is not so much the receivers being employed but rather the QB who tosses said receivers the ball. Brady has made JAG's into 1k yard receivers throughout his career. And many of them weren't nearly as talented as this bunch he now has at the helm.

True. But I don't think that he'll ever win another SB with NE*. I'm going with the historical perspective on this. No Head Coach/Starting QB have EVER lost a SB and then come back another year and won one. And by the way. They are also one of four teams to have lost the SB four times. Bills, Minni, Denver, Pats*.

Hank Stram/Len Dawson Super Bowl I and Super Bowl IV?

Is that true? Not doubting you just haven't heard that/dont have time to look it up

I also don't think they will win a super bowl again, but I won't ever call their roster weak with 12 in the lineup

Is that true? Not doubting you just haven't heard that/dont have time to look it up

I also don't think they will win a super bowl again, but I won't ever call their roster weak with 12 in the lineup

Shula/Griese lost a SB and then won afterwards.

Landry/Staubach did also

So, this is not true..

Edited by Pneumonic

The Patriots D, even in the past few years, has been good enough to get the job done. If I'm not mistaken they've ranked in the top 10 in yards in the NFL the past 3 years and been close to that in points allowed as well. With Brady on O all they need is a respectable D to get the job done. So while not dominant they're good enough given what their O generally does.

Had the Bills D ranked in the top 10 last year they might have made the playoffs.

The Pats defense last year was 25th in yards against but 9th in points against. They were a mixed bag. They did get a lot of turnovers (led the league in forced fumbles). They also had one of the higher fumble recovery rates, which is basically luck. They were 5th in INTs. They would have been one of the worst defenses if it wasn't for the turnovers. Of course, having Tommy run up the score forces trailing teams to throw more and that leads to INTs.

People tend to focus on Brady and not on his supporting cast, which I think is a mistake. When they won their SBs, their defense was very good or excellent. Once their defense began to wane, so did their SB wins. They've been explosive offensively, primarily with the pass but Brady has had a good line and good weapons (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Mr. Angel Dust). This year, their defense is still not very good and most of Brady's weapons are gone.

I think the Pats will focus on the run game more this year to take the pressure off of Brady's receivers. They were 7th in rushing yards last year.

Dobson- a 2nd round pick this year who has failed to impress. http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/08/aaron_dobsons_development_rema.html

as opposed to our infinitely proven guys like graham, goodwin, woods, hogan and easley.

The Pats defense last year was 25th in yards against but 9th in points against. They were a mixed bag. They did get a lot of turnovers (led the league in forced fumbles). They also had one of the higher fumble recovery rates, which is basically luck. They were 5th in INTs. They would have been one of the worst defenses if it wasn't for the turnovers. Of course, having Tommy run up the score forces trailing teams to throw more and that leads to INTs.

People tend to focus on Brady and not on his supporting cast, which I think is a mistake. When they won their SBs, their defense was very good or excellent. Once their defense began to wane, so did their SB wins. They've been explosive offensively, primarily with the pass but Brady has had a good line and good weapons (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Mr. Angel Dust). This year, their defense is still not very good and most of Brady's weapons are gone.

I think the Pats will focus on the run game more this year to take the pressure off of Brady's receivers. They were 7th in rushing yards last year.

Once SpyGate came out they stopped looking invincible. A defense that knows what plays are coming tend to look better. I always suspected the Pats cheated. Look at games in the early 2000's. Their D looked like they had ESP.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot