Punter

jumbalaya

So far the Raiders are keeping two punters on their roster Kluwe and King. Either of these guys are a huge improvement over Powell. I'd like to see snatch one of them up.

@NFL_ATL

Chris Kluwe announces he was booted from Raiders' punting gig http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237219/article/chris-kluwe-beaten-out-for-raiders-punting-job?campaign=Twitter_atl …

Whole reason why Moorman was replaced because of disagreement with Special Teams coach which was not a good reason IMO.

Moorman was getting old and his leg wasn't what it used to be, but I agree the reason for cutting him was more about disagreeing with the coach than it was about performance. There seemed to be a disagreement over when to go for the touchback, when to go for the coffin corner, and when to let the coverage team make a play. Moorman knew what his leg could do, what the wind would do, and probably had his own opinions regarding the skill level of the receiving team and of his own coverage team. I wonder if Moorman was a vet and by disagreeing with the coach he could possibly cause the coaching staff to loose credibility with the players, which ulitmately caused him to be cut.

Punter Zoltan Mesko: The fourth-year left-footed punter was cut by New England in a move that was purely financial. He was due to make over $1 million this year while becoming a free agent after the season. Meanwhile, his replacement, undrafted rookie Ryan Allen, will make the league minimum.

Allen was a two-time Ray Guy Award winner as the best punter in college football. His big leg (44.9 yards-per-punt career average at Louisiana Tech) should help him replace the 44.2 yards-per-punt average Mesko had during the past three years. However, he's sure to go through the growing pains experienced by all young players, and will be hard-pressed to match his predecessor's talent at directional kicking and dropping punts inside the 20-yard line (71 of his 175 career punts).

Off the field, Mesko was a popular figure in the Boston community, as detailed by The Wallstreet Journal's John U. Bacon. He was also heavily involved in charitable work and served as an exemplary representative of the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-three-players-team-may-regret-cutting-013900336--nfl.html

note: Powell has HORRIBLE HANG TIME

One problem might be that Powell is the holder, so they don't want to rock the boat.

Still, I haven't seen how he has been an upgrade over Moorman, and I am pretty sure Kluwe would be an instant upgrade.

I said the same thing in another thread. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to give the rookie FG a different holder. I think Powell was Hopkins' holder for two years in college and they are comfortable together.

Moorman has now been released by two different teams since leaving the Bills.

Punter Zoltan Mesko: The fourth-year left-footed punter was cut by New England in a move that was purely financial. He was due to make over $1 million this year while becoming a free agent after the season. Meanwhile, his replacement, undrafted rookie Ryan Allen, will make the league minimum.

Allen was a two-time Ray Guy Award winner as the best punter in college football. His big leg (44.9 yards-per-punt career average at Louisiana Tech) should help him replace the 44.2 yards-per-punt average Mesko had during the past three years. However, he's sure to go through the growing pains experienced by all young players, and will be hard-pressed to match his predecessor's talent at directional kicking and dropping punts inside the 20-yard line (71 of his 175 career punts).

Off the field, Mesko was a popular figure in the Boston community, as detailed by The Wallstreet Journal's John U. Bacon. He was also heavily involved in charitable work and served as an exemplary representative of the team.

http://sports.yahoo....00336--nfl.html

note: Powell has HORRIBLE HANG TIME

Mesko won't be unemployed long. I wouldn't mind having him on the team.

Although I understand that with Powell also being the Holder, it appears to be doubtful that the Bills would cut him.