Bills, Wood reach extension

eball

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree it is great to hear Stevie and Wood say what they did and want to stay in Buffalo and see their actions back their words, Stevie got a pretty good contract, and I will bet anyone that Wood's is favorable, too, especially because of his injury history. Byrd, on the other hand, has a legitimate argument to be the highest paid safety in the league, and the Bills were not even close to that figure. He feels, probably rightfully, that they undervalue him substantially. Wood and Stevie feel like they got about what they deserve and they probably did. If Stevie or Wood had a legitimate argument to be the highest paid WR or C in the league, it would not have come down like this in all likelihood.

Guess we will never know, both guys signed before testing FA. That points to guys that want to be in Buffalo.

I get it is a business and i am the first one to say these guys should seek the best contract possible.

Byrd has his opinion of himself the Bills have theirs. And for one to maybe two years the Bills opinion rules when it comes to Byrd.

Guess we will never know, both guys signed before testing FA. That points to guys that want to be in Buffalo.

I get it is a business and i am the first one to say these guys should seek the best contract possible.

Byrd has his opinion of himself the Bills have theirs. And for one to maybe two years the Bills opinion rules when it comes to Byrd.

If you don't know that Stevie is far enough down the list to not have a legit argument for an elite contract.... Well...

While I agree it is great to hear Stevie and Wood say what they did and want to stay in Buffalo and see their actions back their words, Stevie got a pretty good contract, and I will bet anyone that Wood's is favorable, too, especially because of his injury history. Byrd, on the other hand, has a legitimate argument to be the highest paid safety in the league, and the Bills were not even close to that figure. He feels, probably rightfully, that they undervalue him substantially. Wood and Stevie feel like they got about what they deserve and they probably did. If Stevie or Wood had a legitimate argument to be the highest paid WR or C in the league, it would not have come down like this in all likelihood.

If you're right Byrd is ridiculous. Not like he isn't getting paid this year and I would think he was offered a fair deal but if you're right him and wonder agent would accept nothing less than being the highest paid? I don't think you fit into our TEAM plans going forward. In fact how bout Byrd and a third for a top shelf cb right now?

But I forgot to say, thank you Eric Wood! Guys like you and Freddie are why we continue to be Bills fans :thumbsup:

Edited by beerme1

Oh snap! The "we let good players walk" crowd won't like reading this.

Yep, i'm sure they hate when we actually sign decent players. They can't sleep at night because we actually retained a player for once. Or maybe they just hate when we let good players walk. Which would be the "every Bills fan" crowd.

Stevie likely would of gotten a lot more than he did on the market if I recall correctly. Others that were valued lower than him got the same range or more, I believe.

If you're right Byrd is ridiculous. Not like he isn't getting paid this year and I would think he was offered a fair deal but if you're right him and wonder agent would accept nothing less than being the highest paid? I don't think you fit into our TEAM plans going forward. In fact how bout Byrd and a third for a top shelf cb right now?

But I forgot to say, thank you Eric Wood! Guys like you and Freddie are why we continue to be Bills fans :thumbsup:

What I said was, Byrd can make the argument that he should be the highest paid. He has always been good, he has very good stats, he's gotten better every year, he has a great pedigree, he is good against the run and the pass, and he is not even in his prime years. Contracts are a combination of what have you done and what you are likely to do. The fact he is going into his fifth year right now is the optimum time. Just because he may be worth the top contract doesnt mean he is the best in the league right now. But he has made peanuts for four years. He deserves a huge contract, and the last report had the Bills about 2m apart, which is likely about 6m offer to 8m want from Byrd. I didnt at all say they asked for the top contract or else.

Now I remember:

Your record is what it says it is.

Eric Wood has a record and it is what it says it is. Has been injured enough to miss a lot of games in 3 seasons during his career.

I think we can agree that there are plenty of players whose careers were cut short through no fault of their own due to injury.

I felt like Spikes was probably assembling a HOF career before his - at least borderline. And he was never the same afterwards. But that kind of injury might as well be a death sentence for most players' careers.

Now, if Wood keeps getting injured for the reasons you detail - sure, I understand the cause for concern... But these really do look like isolated incidents to me.

<p>What I said was, Byrd can make the argument that he should be the highest paid. He has always been good, he has very good stats%

I think we can agree that there are plenty of players whose careers were cut short through no fault of their own due to injury.

I felt like Spikes was probably assembling a HOF career before his - at least borderline. And he was never the same afterwards. But that kind of injury might as well be a death sentence for most players' careers.

Now, if Wood keeps getting injured for the reasons you detail - sure, I understand the cause for concern... But these really do look like isolated incidents to me.

That is how many games that Wood has played in for the Bills in his four seasons.

The guy hasn't played a full season yet.

His record says he is not durable.

Call it what you want, but 4 consecutive seasons is a pretty large sample size by NFL standards. I am OK with re-signing him but it is foolish to think that 4 failures to complete a full schedule in 4 years is "flukey".

Takeo Spikes hadn't missed a game in his career when he tore his achilles.

Some guys are built to withstand the punishment, some are not. The record says that Wood is not.

That is how many games that Wood has played in for the Bills in his four seasons.

The guy hasn't played a full season yet.

His record says he is not durable.

Call it what you want, but 4 consecutive seasons is a pretty large sample size by NFL standards. I am OK with re-signing him but it is foolish to think that 4 failures to complete a full schedule in 4 years is "flukey".

Takeo Spikes hadn't missed a game in his career when he tore his achilles.

Some guys are built to withstand the punishment, some are not. The record says that Wood is not.

said perfectly

Stevie likely would of gotten a lot more than he did on the market if I recall correctly. Others that were valued lower than him got the same range or more, I believe.

Probably not a lot more, but he probably could have signed for more somewhere else. Going to a winning team for the same or more money would seem appealing, but glad he decided to stay.