Bills, Wood reach extension

eball

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is a 4 year $25.4m extension with 9m signing bonus $5.54m? Looks to me like about $6.4m.

This year would have been the last year of his original contract and he's getting paid $2.3M. He signed a 4-year extension for $25.4M.

This year would have been the last year of his original contract and he's getting paid $2.3M. He signed a 4-year extension for $25.4M.

Right but that's not really fair to use, IMO. When the contract goes into effect, he makes 6+. It would be different if they ripped up his last year and made a new 5 year deal and gave him more for this year. If you're going to count the last year of his rookie deal, why wouldn't you include the portion of his signing bonus that is prorated.

The second question I am not sure about although I could probably look it up. I don't, however, believe second round picks in the latest rookie wage scale make any less than second rounders before they introduced it. It was really the first half of the first round where all the difference was.

I'll give you that. Thanks for the good conversation Kelly.

He's also getting his $9m signing bonus as well. He did well and the Bills did well in their assessment of his talents with the best centers in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You exist on this forum to be critical of fans. I am here to discuss the team. Which of us has an issue? Honestly, you bring nothing to the table here but a lot of displaced anger. How about a football post for a change instead of a personal attack in response to a football discussion.

Read my posts, jackass. I'm only critical of "fans" who clearly have an agenda. You're a troll.

He's also getting his $9m signing bonus as well. He did well and the Bills did well in their assessment of his talents with the best centers in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I am taking my best understanding of capology here and trying apply it. I think the way his cap figure works is that he has 2.3 from previous contract salary and bonus. The 4 year extension is essentially a 5 year deal for 25.4 where the 9million bonus can be divided up evenly or frontloaded. Since his cap figure is only 5.6m, his cap figure is $1.8m in new bonus money plus the 2.3 leftover from last contract plus a salary raise for this season of 1.5 million thus equaling the 5.6 cap figure. Just my best guess

Right but that's not really fair to use, IMO. When the contract goes into effect, he makes 6+. It would be different if they ripped up his last year and made a new 5 year deal and gave him more for this year. If you're going to count the last year of his rookie deal, why wouldn't you include the portion of his signing bonus that is prorated.

His rookie signing bonus was just $2M, which means $400K pro-rated. So it raises his average to $5.62M/year.

His rookie signing bonus was just $2M, which means $400K pro-rated. So it raises his average to $5.62M/year.

It doesnt really matter but I'm curious why you would think of it that way. It's a four year extension, starting next year. The fact he gets his signing bonus now only matters because he signed it now. Do you think it would make any difference if he signed this in december and not in august? He makes 6+ a year on his new contract.

It doesnt really matter but I'm curious why you would think of it that way. It's a four year extension, starting next year. The fact he gets his signing bonus now only matters because he signed it now. Do you think it would make any difference if he signed this in december and not in august? He makes 6+ a year on his new contract.

Usually an extension is expressed in terms of new money the player will earn over the number of years the player will be with the team. And thinking about his remaining amortized signing bonus, that could be considered part of his rookie deal, meaning he made $100K more per year in those first 4 years.