Does Goodwin make you rethink the McKelvin deal?

Virgil

When McKelvin got his roughly 5mil a year, many of us were not happy about it. He was pretty bad in coverage and definitely not someone we wanted as a #2 cover.

Most of the rationale was that we actually only paid him 2.5 mil as a cb and 2.5 mil as a returner. From what he showed last year, possibly worth it.

Now that we have Goodwin, who I'm going to assume is taking those jobs, is the McKelvin deal still looking okay to you?

To me, the only reason it's okay is that we are amazingly shallow at the cb position and don't have any other options at this point. If we did, I'd personally say that the deal was terrible now that we have a possibly even better returned that we are barely paying. I'm pretty sure we could have used that 5 mil to throw at another CB or contributing player.

It's all a moot point, but just something I was thinking about

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If McKelvin plays well this year, it's a good deal. Kick return abilities aside, he's really being paid to cover receivers, and if he is still struggling, then it's time to replace him.

Something like that. As much as I hate to say it, McKelvin really is the second best option for an outside corner that we have. We took no one for the position during the draft, two of our brighter prospects (Brooks and Robey) seem ideally suited to be used in nickel and dime packages. We are dangerously thin at the position.

When McKelvin got his roughly 5mil a year, many of us were not happy about it. He was pretty bad in coverage and definitely not someone we wanted as a #2 cover.

Most of the rationale was that we actually only paid him 2.5 mil as a cb and 2.5 mil as a returner. From what he showed last year, possibly worth it.

Now that we have Goodwin, who I'm going to assume is taking those jobs, is the McKelvin deal still looking okay to you?

To me, the only reason it's okay is that we are amazingly shallow at the cb position and don't have any other options at this point. If we did, I'd personally say that the deal was terrible now that we have a possibly even better returned that we are barely paying. I'm pretty sure we could have used that 5 mil to throw at another CB or contributing player.

You've missed a few things here. We are still relatively thin at CB on the outside...Goodwin has only returned KO's and only a few of them at that. McKelvin's strength is on PR's...There is certainly promise for Goodwin, but it's a little early to start declaring him a great return guy.

Personally I think McKelvin should be a Nickle CB, with a guy who has better down field skills and size playing on the outside. However there is still a ton of talent in McKelvin, so I am happy he is here.

Actually, you don't want your starters returning kicks....injury considerations. Goodwin is a better choice because of depth at WR (never thought I'd say that) We are thin at CB, and as good as McKelvin is at returns, we need him worse as a healthy CB.

It will be interesting watching McKelvin playing with the benefit of a pass rush for the first time in his career.

Great point, SJBF, I never thought of that.

...am I bad person for starting to get really excited again for the season, even with EJ hurt and Bradham not knowing where the best place is to store and smoke pot?

:P

I think the OP is getting way ahead of reality on Goodwin. We are only two preseason games into the season. Ask me about McKelvin VS Goodwin on returns 5 or 6 real games into the season if Goodwin is better than McKelvin on both punt and kickoff returns. We need to see a game history comparison to make an informed decision.

If McKelvin does not make it as a CB under our new system and coaches this year this is our hit to release him after this year :

Dead money: McKelvin

2014 $3,000,000

2015 $2,000,000

2016 $1,000,000

Just re-iterating some previous thoughts, here, but I've always been a believer in McKelvin. The guy has lightning speed and he covers very well. He just needs to turn around to look for the damn ball more. Improved coaching/schemes/pass rush will undoubtedly help McKelvin and Gilmore. I loved the contract extension when it happened and still do. His returning skills are just a sweet bonus.

In short .. Goodwin does not make me rethink the McKelvin deal. It's a fair question, though.

Go Bills!

Does the deal look bad in hindsight, perhaps, but there was no way of knowing how good Goodwin would be. Plus, only preseason. McKelvin has done it in the regular season. And he has good cover skills, just TERRIBLE ball skills. Those can be corrected with proper coaching. The talent is there, hopefully it comes together this year. If so, we got a steal.

SJBF you are correct with the pass rush.

I will take that a little further but along the same thought process...better coaching in general for Leodis. He has tremendous talent.

Lets see what this staff is able to get out of him. I think Leodis will benefit from having a better D staff that knows how to coach.

I don't know that I would necessarily say he's bad in coverage, at least in terms of keeping up with receivers and staying on their hip/closing quickly enough to make a play. What he does have trouble with is actually making a play. He seems to often be in great position to swat the ball away, or make an interception and it seems like he just misjudges the ball at the last moment. Am I wrong?