Jerry Hughes

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it was a good trade for both teams. We needed an outside rusher and they were looking for an inside run stopper.

I agree that this trade might be one that gets both players into defenses that are a better fit for them. Hughes clearly fits well into our new scheme but wasn't a great fit for the Colts. I assume the same is true for Shep. Nothing wrong with a mutually beneficial trade - that's just good GM work.

I'm kind of shocked people are still taking this stance.

You don't think it had ANYTHING to do with our scheme? Doesn't this exact thread speak against the theory that players can't be victims of schemes?

I'm sorry, but there isn't a corner in the league that could have covered guys for as long as our DB's had to cover last year, not one.

Let's give him a few games under Pettine before we kick him out of town.

Mclovin is a case of being a small school guy, and if you've heard guy in any interview, he is not sharpest tool in shed.... However, he had 1st round grades by all experts that yr and playing on a defense that had ZERO pass rush for years, makes CB look worse than they are cuz QB has all day to throw the ball. A good pass rush makes a lot of CB's look a hell of a lot better and i think this will be the year Mclovin blossoms into a solid starter as #2 CB. His development is extremely important for this D having a shutdown corner or other side and so many question marks about all the other young guys in battle for roster spots.

Most importantly, we NEED the Byrd man back... Williams looks great a SS and with our new schemes, Byrd would be in for a monster year as a ball hawk on rushed/pressured throws. Searcy is a solid backup and good ST player but not a starting safety in NFL. Duke Williams and Meeks both have good upside, but i would not be comfortable seeing either of them on field vs Pats.

Watching replay now and Hughes' first sack was pretty impressive

Not only was it impressive, he completely DOMINATED Kalil who is a bigtime LT not some depth guy vying for a roster spot. He literally made Kalil look like Sam Young on the play!

Watching replay now and Hughes' first sack was pretty impressive

I've watched that many times now. I also watched Kalil's face as he walked off the field after that 3 and out. Not pleased. He knew it. Nothing else to say.

The result of that play is not about:

1. scheme...it was the first play of the game

2. pressure from elsewhere causing "x"...it was the first play of the game

3. trickery...it was the first play of the game

4. blitzing...it was the first play of the game

That was just a 1v1 whipping against a top tier LT, plain and simple. As far as what it means? It means this: I don't know the Colts DC, or their scheme, or why/how Hughes didn't work out there. Even though last year, he actually did(from the link below):

As much as most of us like to criticize Hughes for his crappy attitude and his on-field demeanor, the hard truth is that he still contributed more to the Colts' pass rush last season than every player on the team outside of Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Frankly, I don't care about any of that. Clearly, we have our DC in Pettine and a good pass rusher in Hughes(never mind when Mario starts going), remind me what else I am supposed to care about?

Here's one Colts blogger who has already begun the lamentation: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/16/4616542/the-colts-have-a-big-problem-with-thier-pass-rush

Colts fans can talk all they like. When they get done? The play on the field has already begun to end this conversation.

The 1st string defense was ferocious as a whole!! I'll tell you what....it's been a very long time since I've been this optimistic about our defense and the depth. Just think....Mario and Kiko didn't play....BE AFRAID....VERY AFRAID!! GO BILLS!

And if Byrd would S**t or get off the pot that would be great !!

And if he holds out trade him for a #1 & a #2 put them all together next year to get Clowney NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT !!!

• 1 month later...

I have not seen him play a lot, and I do not think he has a sack yet.

He has gotten pressure on several plays, but that's about it.

Has not had the impact that he did in the preseason.

I still think he's a good addition, but it would be great if he made a real impact this Sunday.

What's up with this dude? Is he doing anything or has he been MIA. I have watched the better part of all three games,

did not see much of him! Thought, based on preseason performance that we would have seen more from this guy!

I did see him jump offsides at least 3 times....

Way too early to judge. I kinda wish we had kept Sheppard, but I think the trade may turn out alright.

had we kept Shepp, he would be on the street by now. Colts clearly felt the same way about Hughes. The trade enabled both men to keep a job for at least one more year. If Hughes does not step up, maybe his last year. Not sure how Shep is doing.

I saw Lil' Donte got an INT the other day!