Kolb to start Friday

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mainly upset with this because if Marrone is truly having an open competition and rewarding good play, then Tuel should get the star. What Kolb has done to earn the start, I don't know. He has looked semi poor in practice, certainly no better than Tuel, and has missed a week of practice. If things are fair, then Tuel should get the start.

Your funny...Tuel all if a sudden is joe montengna....

And yes beerball we can definitely give kolb a ball so he can remember his time and check he got from the buffalo bills.

I'm done here microscopes. You're either trolling or don't have a clue.

I'm not sure how disagreeing with your opinion is trolling, but ok..

Your funny...Tuel all if a sudden is joe montengna....

Not at all.

Where in my post did I say that.

Seems that there are some folks on this board who need a few reading comprehension classes.

I think that sums it up.

First I've heard that people competing for a starting job need to 'earn' a pre-season start.

If it is a true competition, then the player who has been at every practice, who is playing better, and actually played well in the only game there has been should receive the start over someone who hasn't been to every practice, who has been hurt, and has not been in any games so far.

That's my opinion. I'm sorry you disagree with it.

Also, i'm waiting for someone to give me a link where it says that Marrone was limiting the competition to between EJ and Kolb. I have not seen where he said that. I was under the impression that all 3 QB's would have a chance to compete. And before yet another person calls me a Tuel homer, please read my other posts on the topic and you will see that I am quite the opposite.

Lastly, people need to learn the definition of TROLLING. Disagreeing with someone's opinion is not trolling. It's called having a difference of opinion. That troll word gets thrown around a lot around here.

I haven't read through every post, but damn, you guys are assuming EJ has already won the job. His play the other night was encouraging, but it was hardly dominant. What happens if Kolb lights it up Friday night and EJ doesn't do as well, plus Kolb has better practices than EJ? It just might be EJ is not quite ready to start yet. If that's the case, guess what? We go into New England with Kolb as the starter. You put the guy in there that is going to win you games right now. If all this is the case, it may be EJ starts mid season or something, it hardly means he is a bust if he doesn't start game 1.

You think a coach is interested in sending a rookie out there in the regular season just so he can get experience? Bull, he's going to start the guy that has a better chance of getting wins, that's how a coach keeps his job.

Wow some of you guys are just lost and make me embarrassed to be a Bills fan seriously..

Tuel was mediocre at best in college, has been OK in camp, and did well in a half vs the Colts backups/camp fodder and some of you guys think he deserves a preseason start because it would only be fair?? He was an UDFA rookie for God's sake.

Kolb is the only veteran QB on the roster, the only guy to ever take a snap in the NFL.. He was brought in to compete for the starting job and that is what Marrone is doing right now, nothing more/nothing less.

I still feel that the competition between Kolb and EJ is close enough that you give each guy a chance early to start a game in preseason.

Still, I'd be very surprised to see a QB other than EJ starting week one. And no it won't be Jeff Tuel.

microscopes, you have been calm and respectful in your responses so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason why folks like me believe you are trolling is because the "opinion" you have presented is very naive -- as if it were being presented by someone who has not really ever followed professional football. Jeff Tuel has not outplayed anyone if apples are being compared with apples. EJ Manuel is a 1st round draft pick. Kevin Kolb is a 2nd round draft pick with starting experience. Jeff Tuel was not drafted. Marrone doesn't have to say the competition is between EJ and Kolb because that is the only reasonable presumption.

So, yes, we all strongly disagree with your opinion, but I will personally refrain from the name-calling.

Go Bills!

Edited by eball

Wow some of you guys are just lost and make me embarrassed to be a Bills fan seriously..

Tuel was mediocre at best in college, has been OK in camp, and did well in a half vs the Colts backups/camp fodder and some of you guys think he deserves a preseason start because it would only be fair?? He was an UDFA rookie for God's sake.

Kolb is the only veteran QB on the roster, the only guy to ever take a snap in the NFL.. He was brought in to compete for the starting job and that is what Marrone is doing right now, nothing more/nothing less.

I still feel that the competition between Kolb and EJ is close enough that you give each guy a chance early to start a game in preseason.

Still, I'd be very surprised to see a QB other than EJ starting week one. And no it won't be Jeff Tuel.

Many of us who are advising for Tuel to start is not saying he is a better QB than Kolb. Nor are we saying that he will be good at all. What we are saying is IF it is a true open fair competition then he should get the start. Because he has done more in camp and games so far than Kolb has. That is all. Where he was drafted (or not) has nothing to do with it. You don't have to be a Tuel homer to see he has done more in Camp than Kolb has.

If you came to work at a Marketing company at the same time as Employee X. And you were told it would be an open competition for the Managerial position. You come to work every day, bust your butt, look pretty good, and do well on your first mini project. Employee X on the other hand gets sick, misses a week of work, doesn't finish his mini project, but yet the boss gives him the next big project. I think you would be a bit disappointed, no?

It doesn't mean your the better employee. It doesn't mean your a good employee at all. It simply means that you had done more to receive the big project AT THAT POINT than Employee X has.

If it was up to me, EJ would start every game.

I've got no problem with Kolb starting. We need to find out what exactly this guy can do, and no better place to do it then in game 2 of the pre-season. With that being said, I agree that EJ needs reps. Frankly, given the Kolb injury he has probably gotten more reps with the first team then expected at this point. I also think the Tuel has earned first team reps, however there are only so many to go around. Bottom line is its a competition, which is good for everyone. I say Kolb gets 1st quarted, EJ gets 2nd and perhaps part of 3rd then Tuel gets the rest.

Depending on performance, game 3 EJ gets 1st half, Tuel 3rd quarter and Kolb- who will likely be fighting for his life- gets 4th quarter.

I also think they will keep all three qbs. Depth chart being EJ, Tuel and Kolb.

All in all, this competition is a good thing, not a bad one. Whether EJ gets the first quarter of the second preseason game is not going to make a big difference.

we had a qb who was concussed before, never played well after, Trent. Kolb is a concussion away from being out of the league. we should be looking for someone else now, as when we need to depend on Kolb, he will get injured in his brain again.

anyone remember the Livingstone "coconut head" Bramble fight at the Aud years ago against Boom Boom Mancini? We need a guy like that.

Every player is one concussion away from being out of the league.

microscopes, you have been calm and respectful in your responses so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason why folks like me believe you are trolling is because the "opinion" you have presented is very naive -- as if it were being presented by someone who has not really ever followed professional football. Jeff Tuel has not outplayed anyone if apples are being compared with apples. EJ Manuel is a 1st round draft pick. Kevin Kolb is a 2nd round draft pick with starting experience. Jeff Tuel was not drafted. Marrone doesn't have to say the competition is between EJ and Kolb because that is the only reasonable presumption.

So, yes, we all strongly disagree with your opinion, but I will personally refrain from the name-calling.

Go Bills!

I'm sorry you think I'm naive. I assure you I am not. I've played the game at the collegiate level and have some high school coaching experience as well. Maybe I see the game a little different than you do. And that's OK. I don't think draft position should have anything to do with an open competition. Ask Brady for more on that.

An open competition, in my eyes, is open to all persons at that position. And whoever has done more up to that point should get the next start.

Thats my 2 cents.

Great point Micro- the players in the locker room need to play for each other. They do not care where you played in college or where you were drafted. If this were truly an open competition it would be a battle between Tuel and EJ, with Tuel being ahead. He was outstanding in the team scrimmage (I was there) and in game one. This is not a knock on EJ who preformed well, just not as good as Tuel.

However, there is not a coaching staff in the NFL who would do that because the feel it will reflect badly on the orgainzation and/or mentally injury the 1st round pick. I get that. However, truly good coachs find a way to put the best player on the field and deflect what "everyone else" thinks. Marrone is in a tough spot and appears to be handling it well.

All in all, for a guy who generally sees the glass half empty, I really like what I see this year. Guys competing and a staff that seems to be building something that could be special.

Time will tell.

Many of us who are advising for Tuel to start is not saying he is a better QB than Kolb. Nor are we saying that he will be good at all. What we are saying is IF it is a true open fair competition then he should get the start. Because he has done more in camp and games so far than Kolb has. That is all. Where he was drafted (or not) has nothing to do with it. You don't have to be a Tuel homer to see he has done more in Camp than Kolb has.

If you came to work at a Marketing company at the same time as Employee X. And you were told it would be an open competition for the Managerial position. You come to work every day, bust your butt, look pretty good, and do well on your first mini project. Employee X on the other hand gets sick, misses a week of work, doesn't finish his mini project, but yet the boss gives him the next big project. I think you would be a bit disappointed, no?

It doesn't mean your the better employee. It doesn't mean your a good employee at all. It simply means that you had done more to receive the big project AT THAT POINT than Employee X has.

but its not just about who has had the best last 5 days - its who has the best skill set, who has done the most all offseason, in kolbs case he has a career in the nfl to point to, who is the best in meeting rooms, and who they think gives you the best shot to win week 1.

just because you defined open competition as "who had the best practice reports this week wins" doesnt mean thats what it is.

I'm sorry you think I'm naive. I assure you I am not. I've played the game at the collegiate level and have some high school coaching experience as well. Maybe I see the game a little different than you do. And that's OK. I don't think draft position should have anything to do with an open competition. Ask Brady for more on that.

An open competition, in my eyes, is open to all persons at that position. And whoever has done more up to that point should get the next start.

Thats my 2 cents.

but you arent including everything up to that point -

if you had a senior transfer that has starting experience and has been getting first team reps with you, do you equate that to a JV backup that looks good in gym class?

Edited by NoSaint

I'm not big into Kolb. But I guess fair is fair. I hate rooting for failure, but I hope Kolb sucks and EJ lights it up. I'm ready for a new guy at QB, not some "retread" from another team who can't stay healthy.

That being said, whomever is starter on game one of the regular season... I hope they light it up then.

The term "skill set" seems to be the new in thing. I think the skill set of a quarterback needs to include only the following control of the game, reading defenses and moving the ball down field. To date, it cannot be argued that Teul and EJ have done that. Tuel has just done it more frequently.

I don't think this is a big deal at all. The coach even explained that we should not read into this, it was the plan all along and no one has been awarded the starting job yet. I just hope that the fans at the Ralph tomorrow night stay somewhat classy and don't boo Kolb. I know EJ has quickly become a fan favorite, and with good reason, he seems like a great guy who has embraced the team and city, 1st round draft pick and hopefully a franchise QB. But the team is doing the right thing here and EJ will get plenty of playing time tomorrow. I hope Kolb does well. Most of all, I want to win, preseason or not. Wish Kiko was playing but glad they are taking precaution. Also encouraging to hear Stevie may come back for game 3 of preseason.

but its not just about who has had the best last 5 days - its who has the best skill set, who has done the most all offseason, in kolbs case he has a career in the nfl to point to, who is the best in meeting rooms, and who they think gives you the best shot to win week 1.

just because you defined open competition as "who had the best practice reports this week wins" doesnt mean thats what it is.

but you arent including everything up to that point -

if you had a senior transfer that has starting experience and has been getting first team reps with you, do you equate that to a JV backup that looks good in gym class?

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I was under the impression from reports that Kolb was not having a great camp up until he got injured? Am I mistaken? Was he playing well?

Great point Micro- the players in the locker room need to play for each other. They do not care where you played in college or where you were drafted. If this were truly an open competition it would be a battle between Tuel and EJ, with Tuel being ahead. He was outstanding in the team scrimmage (I was there) and in game one. This is not a knock on EJ who preformed well, just not as good as Tuel.

However, there is not a coaching staff in the NFL who would do that because the feel it will reflect badly on the orgainzation and/or mentally injury the 1st round pick. I get that. However, truly good coachs find a way to put the best player on the field and deflect what "everyone else" thinks. Marrone is in a tough spot and appears to be handling it well.

All in all, for a guy who generally sees the glass half empty, I really like what I see this year. Guys competing and a staff that seems to be building something that could be special.

Time will tell.

Thank You.

You are reading way to far into the word "fair".. The logical competition is between EJ and Kolb.... Jeff Tuel is fighting to get on the 53 man roster.

Also, have you personally been to each and every practice? How can you say Tuel has done more in camp?? And he has done more in a "game" because Kolb didn't play at all in it!!! All reports from camp I have heard is Tuel has looked OK some ups some downs, stares down WRs, slowish delivery - (Joe B who is at every practice). Is it just because Kolb missed some time with an injury that you think this?

A half of preseason football vs camp fodder isn't enough to unseat Kolb from the QB competition... now if he looks like garbage this next game and Tuel lights it up in whatever time he gets then maybe...

Edited by kobe808lak