A Few Thoughts About the Game, in no particular order.....

7- really glad we traded Hughes for Sheppard.

8- I thought Lawson played well

Lawson was not seen nor heard and for a strong side linebacker that is pretty good. They did not run at him, though, as much as they ran to the weak side.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario got pissed at his fellow D today. Just before they converted a first down with a 5 yard run, he was waving his arms trying to get the DL to shift but they didn't listen. He was visibly pissed after the play, too. This passion is nice to see from our best defensive player. And he is, no matter who says differently.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree and I hope he continues leading on D.

Petine never up on the pressure I LOVE THAT.

This team is being coached up. Its a beautiful thing to see.

Hackett and this TRUE no-huddle was lovely to see. The Colts D was not ready for it. I hope they didn't show to much to the NE coaching staff. You know Belicheat was watching.

But Even tho Manual started slow he finished well. That end of the first half drive was called well and Manual took what the D gave. Then the dart to Dickerson was NICE.

For EJ's first game he played as well as you can expect.

Tuel ...wow where did that come from. Was impressed with him almost as much as E.J.

And Goodwin is a steal, are you kidding me?? That dude is blazing fast. The kick return job is his.

This game was great. Nice to see the coaching staff have a killer instinct. That kind of thing gives the team confidence.

It's only one game but one thing is clear already.....this coaching staff is much better than the previous one and that's one thing I was really looking forward to see.

Lawson was not seen nor heard and for a strong side linebacker that is pretty good. They did not run at him, though, as much as they ran to the weak side.

Lawson made some plays though...deflected passes, was in backfield, and looked good

I also disagree with #3/ Brooks. Yes, I'm a fanboy of his but he wasnt as bad as Bill claims. He got hit early with a taunting penalty - which likely wasn't anything different than every player has done in history. They're just gonna call 'em now and I hope he and the Bills learned their lesson. Beat for a score in single coverage? Hardly a disgrace. He's a baller and has been since he stepped on a football field. Missed more than half of last season but he played well when he returned and he's not going anywhere. I'm pulling for him to become our other corner.

A. Williams brought serious attitude to the Safety position we haven't seen in years. Much better fit there than corner.

Mario got pissed at his fellow D today. Just before they converted a first down with a 5 yard run, he was waving his arms trying to get the DL to shift but they didn't listen. He was visibly pissed after the play, too. This passion is nice to see from our best defensive player. And he is, no matter who says differently.

GO BILLS!!!

Even among his fans there was a narrative developing that he was only slightly better than average (disregarding the hate that he didnt deserve to make the roster from some). Truth is he's an incredibly gifted athlete that can physically dominate matchups. There's a reason he was the number 1 pick, and reasons he was paid like he was (and if we didnt, someone else would've paid similarly).... He's a stud, even if he isn't a speed rusher like most want. It's rare an end can be very productive both in the run and pass game like he can be. Hopefully he stays healthy and shows it.

10) Gaskins stopped moving his legs. That alone is huge to me. Horrible.

12) A.Williams looked at SS. Byrd plays FS.

15) Then you missed out on seeing a guy who might be turning his career back in to a football career.

10) hmmm that's about the first thing Freddie teaches any RB. I'll rewatch it, didnt catch that. Not good if so.

12) Ouch jeah... Caught me there.. :) In that case I hope Byrd comes back in great shape and we'll have a great team back there.

15) Jup, was so focussed on the DBs and especially the CBs as there are some major issues there. Glad to hear Troup had a strong game, he deserves it.

Lawson made some plays though...deflected passes, was in backfield, and looked good

Yes, and between him and Hughes I am very happy at the WLB.

I was very happy to see us fluidly switch between 4-3 and 3-4 by putting Bradham or Mario on the OL. Hughes opposite on the Will was the tallest midget. He was allowed to move and show his athleticism. I wonder if he could not be starting mid season in Pettine's D. Lawson's coverage surprised me and I am going to watch he and Bryan Scott much more Friday.

I'd not say reserved. I would say EJ's timing is still off. The speed of the NFL game is drastically different and he played at FSU. FSU in 2013, not in the 90's where the speed was killing it. EJ today saw quality he had not seen, speed every where on the field, speed and designed defense that is faster then ours. EJ Manuel today looked good but what he had a problem with was reading that speed and compensating for that.

Tuel looked better, by comparision, because the speed of the 2nd and 3rd teamers was much slower and less of a leap. The Colts defense beyond the starting unit was rather soft, also.

I think that people either aren't looking at or are minimizing the kind of pressure that EJ Manuel was under in comparison to Jeff Tuel. Manuel was faced with being 1st round QB pick, under "real" game pressure in that two minute drill and he flawlessly nailed the landing. Tuel had virtually no pressure and was able to come in as a late round pick who was told you can let 'er rip in a rapid fire passing system and against a team that was clearly ill prepared for that kind of pace.

I'm not saying that Tuel isn't THAT good, he may be THAT good. I'm just saying that there is a huge difference in the level of pressure the two rookie QBs faced. I'm very happy with both QBs. However, until EJ Manuel gives the Bills reason that the NFL game is too big for him (which I doubt very much will happen) he's THE MAN.

I agree and I hope he continues leading on D.

Petine never up on the pressure I LOVE THAT.

This team is being coached up. Its a beautiful thing to see.

Hackett and this TRUE no-huddle was lovely to see. The Colts D was not ready for it. I hope they didn't show to much to the NE coaching staff. You know Belicheat was watching.

But Even tho Manual started slow he finished well. That end of the first half drive was called well and Manual took what the D gave. Then the dart to Dickerson was NICE.

For EJ's first game he played as well as you can expect.

Tuel ...wow where did that come from. Was impressed with him almost as much as E.J.

And Goodwin is a steal, are you kidding me?? That dude is blazing fast. The kick return job is his.

This game was great. Nice to see the coaching staff have a killer instinct. That kind of thing gives the team confidence.

It's only one game but one thing is clear already.....this coaching staff is much better than the previous one and that's one thing I was really looking forward to see.

This

Yes, and between him and Hughes I am very happy at the WLB.

I was very happy to see us fluidly switch between 4-3 and 3-4 by putting Bradham or Mario on the OL. Hughes opposite on the Will was the tallest midget. He was allowed to move and show his athleticism. I wonder if he could not be starting mid season in Pettine's D. Lawson's coverage surprised me and I am going to watch he and Bryan Scott much more Friday.

Yeah Hughes has been impressive since adding him and I could see him playing his way into a starter if he keeps improving like this. But Pettine is gonna use a lot of guys, so I think he will get plenty of chances to get on field. He has not been good is pass coverage though which could be what keeps home from starting unless he improves quickly in that

Thanks, Bill, great stuff as usual.

On another point, I thought the kickoff coverage unit was pretty darn awesome. Holy hell those gunners were getting down the field fast and making good solid tackles.

Oh, and no comments about Hopkins? Sure didn't help himself out with those first few kickoffs.

Disagree on #3 with Ron Brooks. He made a huge play on a hit to Fleener to force the fumble and turnover. He also made some plays on ST that were impressive.

He made some mistakes today, but also made plays. He's also made some plays in camp. This kid still has plenty of upside and also stuff to work on. I think he's still gonna be a good player for us this year. He will have some growing pains, but this is a 2nd year player learning the second defense in 2 years. Give him more time

Watch just how fast he is cut if his game doesn't get MUCH better. He was WAY off today. A player at that level can lose football games for a team.

Whew, just got back home, so I wanted to join in. so here are a few thoughts:

EJ did look a bit sketchy early. That said, it seemed like there was a clear plan to run the ball down the Colts throat to begin, and there was an immediate immense dropoff when they first pulled Spiller.

Spiller looked incredible. I know they pulled him early, but his first two runs gave essential breathing room.

The defense looked...decent. They were beat a lot of times, and coverage certainly needs work, but pressure up front looked beautiful, and Mario looked like a force of nature coming around that blindside.

What the hell refs? What was the taunt? Seriously? D'Rick span the ball on the ground and we saw nothing, so I have to assume Brooks teabagged someone. Go back to ignoring facemask penalties!

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Special Teams rookie of the Year, Marquise Goodwin. Seriously, there is no reason NOT to put him there. McKelvin is desperately needed as CB depth and Goodwin is an absolute beast on returns.

EJ picked things up near the end, even throwing to the second stringers. I don't think I could script a better 2 minute drill, especially with the Bills getting the ball back after halftime. In game conditions, the opposing D will be extremely worn if we pull this out.

Longest ball was the 17 yarder to Dickerson for a score. I thought the same thing. Makes me wonder if they're playing reserved.

I have to assume so too. EJ had plenty of time, and we didn't see any Read Option of long balls, both of which were seen at practice.I'm assuming those are being reserved for Week 1 so Belicheat doesn't have time to look them over.

Thanks, Bill, great stuff as usual.

On another point, I thought the kickoff coverage unit was pretty darn awesome. Holy hell those gunners were getting down the field fast and making good solid tackles.

Oh, and no comments about Hopkins? Sure didn't help himself out with those first few kickoffs.

It appeared like they were working on him kicking high and inside the endzone, so as to prevent a TB but get the tackle short of the 20-yard line.

Brooks was good on ST too. I just don't know if he's a good outside CB. Let's give him slot work next game and maybe try Butler opposite Gilmore (unless McKelvin suits up).

Yeah, his stature makes him better for covering speedy slot receivers. Him being put outside was a desperation move after McKelvin and Rodgers were injured.

May god have mercy on our souls for those being better options...