Old Skewl Credit Card Question

The Big Cat

Wait... It has only been two weeks. How do you know it won't clear and they are slow to process it? When you write a check to somebody and they do not cash it for weeks, do you call then and remind them to cash it? LoL.. It is their responsibilty. He doesn't owe them, he paid them. It is their responsibility to collect the money and finish the transaction. Why do people think it is his obligation to call? Why do people think that some mistake has been made? Again, I give you a check for services and you don't cash it, who's problem is that? I don't think there is a time limit (like checks) where they have to process.

Big Cat, balance your book or set the money aside. Wait for it to clear... If it does it does... If it doesn't it doesn't, they don't want your money. No mistake was made, they can easily post it to your account... They got your info. It is not your problem they are slow or sloppy. Again, the guy knew where to find the plate clicker... It will clear.

Wow... What a rush rush world...

oh hell, i thought i had read that this situation encompassed the month of july and now into august, despite him saying it happened 2 weeks ago, i still had it stuck in my head that it happened late june(i know i said late july above).

absolutely...give it time, this is a very unusually long time for a purchase to clear but it will

well, i am guilty, i have a check from my parents from my birthday at the end of june. i simply haven't gone to the bank. I do think Cat needs to make an attempt, but he shouldn't have to jump through hoops, in fact, i may say that simply making this 'unnecessary' attempt is 'jumping through hoops'. but if they never act on it, i would do the scenario i painted, use the money to go shopping for the local food bank.

Ha, finally the temporal insight I was looking for!!

And Pooj: does it matter that my wife and volunteer at the local pantry on Saturdays?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking for advice on OTW = :doh:

Oh and it's reasons such as this that CC companies charge so much.

No it's not. CC Companies charge so much because they will give anybody with a credit history a credit limit & then when the predictable happens & said CC goes bad they got to make up the chargeoff somehow so they pass on the loss to everybody else.

BigCat I hear what you are saying. Credit Card companies are the biggest crooks in this country. They are loan sharks with a badge. They screw people anyway they can.

Bigcat, if you were certain Chase was out that money I would tell you to forget this ever happen & chalk it up to good luck. If it is the Grocery Store that is out the money(which more then likely is what happened) that is a tough one. Grocery stores have horrible Profit Margins, I think they are 2-3% only. That is a lot of groceries to recoupe. I would probably try to fix it.

2nd thought I agree with Illinois. May 2012 I wrote a check to my wife's little cousin for her communion. It was not for a ton of money, $100. She never cashed it to this day & I did not say anything. Never even told my wife(she would of definately made me call them). Of course I can't stand most of her family so that probably played a small part in it too.

No it's not. CC Companies charge so much because they will give anybody with a credit history a credit limit & then when the predictable happens & said CC goes bad they got to make up the chargeoff somehow so they pass on the loss to everybody else.

BigCat I hear what you are saying. Credit Card companies are the biggest crooks in this country. They are loan sharks with a badge. They screw people anyway they can.

Bigcat, if you were certain Chase was out that money I would tell you to forget this ever happen & chalk it up to good luck. If it is the Grocery Store that is out the money(which more then likely is what happened) that is a tough one. Grocery stores have horrible Profit Margins, I think they are 2-3% only. That is a lot of groceries to recoupe. I would probably try to fix it.

You do realize what this says about your character. What difference is there if you steal from a poor single mother or you steal from a credit card company?

Presumably it's the store losing out. But again, the store itself is a SuperValu store:

JbVxp9w.gif

You do realize what this says about your character. What difference is there if you steal from a poor single mother or you steal from a credit card company?

Look, I don't mean to keep getting defensive with you, but we didn't steal. We did nothing sneaky.

I gave the guy a perfectly valid credit card on which I carry no balance. We intended to pay. My friends have already wired me their portion because the plan was to pay.

Those same friends, who are now temporarily out the money they paid me until this is finalized don't care. They say wait. They say don't call. So I'm not inconveniencing them and by calling the store, I'm doing the store's job for them.

So back to the grey area I mentioned last night: as far as you're concerned, I'm either a thief because they didn't carry out their responsibilities in the transaction or I call and do that job for them??

Edited by The Big Cat

Oh, I just remembered something, I've been in a similar situation recently.

Wanted to pay off my season tickets with the Bills back in mid-June, emailed my rep, told him to do it on my credit card they have on file, the same one I've been using these past three years. Mid-June comes, the day my payment was supposed to be made, and I don't see the charge on my account. I wait a week, still no charge, email him, he assures me it was charged. Check my ticket account online, shows it was paid, but still no charge at my bank account. Two weeks after that, still no charge showing on my credit card (three weeks after it was supposed to be paid), call them, yep it was paid, I ask what does the card number they charged end in? They reply with a number I don't recognize. Tell them that's not my card, I don't know who they charged but it wasn't me. So they say they'll refund the card they charged, and charge mine instead. Later that day check my account and see the charge there. Next day I remembered, back in May when ST holders could buy extras, I bought some tickets for one of the posters here, using their credit card, and it was that card they charged my season tickets to, even though that was a one time charge, and my regular card is supposed to be the only one on my file, that they've been using these past three years.

Oh, I just remembered something, I've been in a similar situation recently.

Wanted to pay off my season tickets with the Bills back in mid-June, emailed my rep, told him to do it on my credit card they have on file, the same one I've been using these past three years. Mid-June comes, the day my payment was supposed to be made, and I don't see the charge on my account. I wait a week, still no charge, email him, he assures me it was charged. Check my ticket account online, shows it was paid, but still no charge at my bank account. Two weeks after that, still no charge showing on my credit card (three weeks after it was supposed to be paid), call them, yep it was paid, I ask what does the card number they charged end in? They reply with a number I don't recognize. Tell them that's not my card, I don't know who they charged but it wasn't me. So they say they'll refund the card they charged, and charge mine instead. Later that day check my account and see the charge there. Next day I remembered, back in May when ST holders could buy extras, I bought some tickets for one of the posters here, using their credit card, and it was that card they charged my season tickets to, even though that was a one time charge, and my regular card is supposed to be the only one on my file, that they've been using these past three years.

Ha, nice story, but only tangentially analogous. Did you have the ST's in hand?

I called the electric company three months ago because I wasn't charged, then three weeks later got dinged with a $25 penalty because the payment was never made.

Yeah I guess so. But it is technically not stealing. He tried to pay for it. Is it his fault that the grocery store hires incompetent people that do not know how to process a credit card payment?

Ha, nice story, but only tangentially analogous. Did you have the ST's in hand?

I called the electric company three months ago because I wasn't charged, then three weeks later got dinged with a $25 penalty because the payment was never made.

No, tickets don't arrived normally until mid-July.

I do a lot of my monthly payments online, instead of automatic payments.

Boy you guys are making me feel guilty....I picked up a small item from sears today that I ordered online from the store...the guy comes from the back with two packages and I say "both are mine?"...he says yep....so I continue on home....turns out sears gave me two of the product I ordered....but I was only billed once....one box was opened and the product was dirty almost like a return and the other was brand new....not sure what to think...the item was 20$.....I just figured oh well their mistake...I'll keep the extra on hand....but now I feel dirty!!!!

If any of you remember we ordered a flat screen from Amazon. They delivered one and then another the next day. We sent the second one back. We needed the karma. Well so much for Karma. Our house broken into less than a year later. But then again maybe the karma was them not taking the flat screen.

Yeah I guess so. But it is technically not stealing. He tried to pay for it. Is it his fault that the grocery store hires incompetent people that do not know how to process a credit card payment?

There are many things in life that are not our fault. Does that mean we get a free pass on doing the right thing?

it matters a lot....it vastly improves my image of you as a human being....it was pretty low before knowing this... :nana:

i am a huuuuuuuge fan of the local foodbanks...i think it ranks up there among the best volunteer opportunities out there

Ha, finally the temporal insight I was looking for!!

And Pooj: does it matter that my wife and volunteer at the local pantry on Saturdays?

No, tickets don't arrived normally until mid-July.

I do a lot of my monthly payments online, instead of automatic payments.

All my payments are automatic. The electric bill would have been the first payment at our new place, hence why I was watching it to make sure all was gravy, so I could get it straight and move on with life.

I do auto-debit for everything, including my mortgage/tax escrow/home insurance. I pay everything in-full, on time.

As for your ST's, I would have done the exact same thing if I didn't have them in-hand.

it matters a lot....it vastly improves my image of you as a human being....it was pretty low before knowing this... :nana:

i am a huuuuuuuge fan of the local foodbanks...i think it ranks up there among the best volunteer opportunities out there

:thumbsup:We prep for home deliveries. It helps us count our blessings.

I work with credit card processor all the time in my job, and companies can and do often lose significant amounts of money with credit card charges - it's part of the cost of doing business.

In a best case scenario, you swipe your card, get an authorization and an immediate deposit for purchases made at a register - the transaction between the merchant and the bank settles immediately because you can be charged immediately due to the fact that you've received your goods. I work with a lot of retailers selling via the web or catalog and there the equation is a bit different - the order is placed, you get a card authorization from the processor at the time of the order, but the settlement doesn't happen until your order ships to you - that's an FTC rule on when you can be charged. My clients lose tons of money on charges that had valid authorizations at the time the order was made, but somehow the account is closed, etc. before the settlement is made. There's no way to avoid this - it happens to all merchants - a certain percentage of your credit card authorizations will not follow through to settlement and you'll have to treat the transaction as a write-off.

If this was a manual credit card transaction it is kind of risky for the merchant - without the ability to do an instant auth/deposit there's a decent chance the funds never settle - the card could have been one that wouldn't have received an auth in the first place, and the longer you wait between the auth and deposit the more you risk that something will happen to prevent setllement.

Anyway, up to Cat as to what to do, but from the merchant end they probably deal with this stuff frequently - cost of doing business.

If this was a manual credit card transaction it is kind of risky for the merchant - without the ability to do an instant auth/deposit there's a decent chance the funds never settle - the card could have been one that wouldn't have received an auth in the first place, and the longer you wait between the auth and deposit the more you risk that something will happen to prevent setllement.

Anyway, up to Cat as to what to do, but from the merchant end they probably deal with this stuff frequently - cost of doing business.

So...the guy watched my card get declined numerous times. And then he pulls out the swiper, which as you say, already presents a layer of risk for cards that are known to work. You'd think they would have hustled to get this authorization right away...

Presumably it's the store losing out. But again, the store itself is a SuperValu store:

JbVxp9w.gif

Look, I don't mean to keep getting defensive with you, but we didn't steal. We did nothing sneaky.

I gave the guy a perfectly valid credit card on which I carry no balance. We intended to pay. My friends have already wired me their portion because the plan was to pay.

Those same friends, who are now temporarily out the money they paid me until this is finalized don't care. They say wait. They say don't call. So I'm not inconveniencing them and by calling the store, I'm doing the store's job for them.

So back to the grey area I mentioned last night: as far as you're concerned, I'm either a thief because they didn't carry out their responsibilities in the transaction or I call and do that job for them??

I've only said you steal if you do not pay for what you received. You seem to hold to the notion that handing them the credit card and having them take an imprint is the end of your responsibility in the transaction. If that's your position you've certainly stated it and why feel defensive about it unless you know there is room for uncertainty in your position?

I've said it several times, sure it is still early in the transaction timeline given this was done manually. So maybe you let some additional time pass for it to be processed. At some point, in my mind no more than another month end, you call the store to say there was likely an oversight somewhere and that you want to make the situation right.

The point of difference is that simply handing them the card is not the end of your responsibilities in the transaction. Making reasonable effort to see that the store is actually paid for what you and your friends received is the end of your responsibility.

So...the guy watched my card get declined numerous times. And then he pulls out the swiper, which as you say, already presents a layer of risk for cards that are known to work. You'd think they would have hustled to get this authorization right away...

from my experience im guessing odds are the manual swipe is technically not allowed or strongly discouraged by the company but in an effort to not have you leave empty handed they bent the rules. thats not the case everywhere, but ive seen a few workplaces that do not even touch that system due to the added risks.

that said, and dont get me wrong i know they did it to get the sale not to save your day, if they went out of my way to help me out because of issues with my credit card company i would be more prone to following up and going out of my way as it was my credit card that caused the initial issues.

Edited by NoSaint

Did he call to get a phone auth? If he saw a decline and didn't bother to try and get a valid auth before accepting the card then that's a seriously risky transaction - you're basically taking a card without an auth and hoping that you get a valid auth at the time of settlement - if you don't, you don't get the funds.

Did he call to get a phone auth? If he saw a decline and didn't bother to try and get a valid auth before accepting the card then that's a seriously risky transaction - you're basically taking a card without an auth and hoping that you get a valid auth at the time of settlement - if you don't, you don't get the funds.

exactly. its essentially saying "oh your card is declining, im betting its still legit and not a closed account, maxed out account, or any number of other issues that would leave me empty handed"