Sullivan on WGR this morning

Thankfully, newspapers are about dead.

interesting. the Orange County Record is thriving after committing resources to more staff. other newspapers are devoting more resources to have an online presence.

and even if the demise of newspapers is nigh ... something that has been repeated over and over and over again for the last 30 years ... does that mean there will no longer be news providers?

somehow, i think not.

jw

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting. the Orange County Record is thriving after committing resources to more staff. other newspapers are devoting more resources to have an online presence.

and even if the demise of newspapers is nigh ... something that has been repeated over and over and over again for the last 30 years ... does that mean there will no longer be news providers?

somehow, i think not.

jw

Newspapers will be around for a while.

Reporters? That's a different question.

I know, right? I was there and I love Wheat Kings, but they were just killing time. Langlois was smoking a cigarette and it was actually kind of a sloppy version. I have seen so many greats put on so many great performances where you could hear a pin drop in the theater- John Prine, Neil Young, Merle Haggard, Gordon Lightfoot, etc.- and I don't know that I've ever been moved to tears. But that version of Wheat Kings made Jerry Sullivan shed tears? They play it almost every show. It was probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen him write.

It is not acceptable for tears to be shed for any Hip song with the possible exception of Fiddlers Green...and even then I would have a problem with anything more than" a misty feeling".

Does this apply to coaches as well?

Very good point...but no, not at this level. A coah at the NFL/College level that has never "played" has been in and around the game the majority of thier life. They're not just guys who enjoy sports and took a creative writing class.

It is not acceptable for tears to be shed for any Hip song with the possible exception of Fiddlers Green...and even then I would have a problem with anything more than" a misty feeling".

Good point, I am certainly not against a tear being shed during perhaps a hidden gem like Fiddler's Green, or a simliarly stirring, live Neil Young or Gordon Lightfoot performance ... but I just know this wasn't the one. Downie was making jokes about the nature of Rod Stewart's alleged emergency room visits around this time of the show.

MOFO, that avatar will always bring a smile to my face. And wait a sec, metzelaars_lives, when is Langlois NOT smoking a cigarette?

Good point, I am certainly not against a tear being shed during perhaps a hidden gem like Fiddler's Green, or a simliarly stirring, live Neil Young or Gordon Lightfoot performance ... but I just know this wasn't the one. Downie was making jokes about the nature of Rod Stewart's alleged emergency room visits around this time of the show.

MOFO, that avatar will always bring a smile to my face. And wait a sec, metzelaars_lives, when is Langlois NOT smoking a cigarette?

As does your screen name...every time a read a hypenated name I mumble Mellencamp at the end...the older I get the more blank looks I get with that one...

Although the topic of Jerry Sullivan and the local media has been beat to death, I have to vent. He is like the Kieth Olberman and Glen Beck of local sports all rolled in to one, not naming facts to support his opinions.

I think you are missing the correct definition of an opinion (Dictionary.com):

o·pin·ion

[uh-pin-yuhn]

noun

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I assume Jerry is on GR to promote discussion. Based on this thread alone, he's been successful!

Edited by WotAGuy

I think you are missing the correct definition of an opinion:

o·pin·ion

[uh-pin-yuhn]

noun

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

I may be wrong, but when he comes on GR, during the lead-in, they say "and he has the facts to back up his opinions"

Well, I can see a rabid fan not liking Jerry. He's abrasive, overly critical at times, and can come off as a bit arrogant.

That said, it's not his job to make people feel good about the team. And when it comes to negative media, the Buffalo media are lapdogs compared to media in major markets like Dallas, NY, etc.

The things that are written and said about Tony Romo (who has had much more success than any recent Bills QB) would make Jerry Sullivan look like a blind homer.

I'm sure the NYC media would be forgiving of Mario Williams becoming the highest paid player in league history and so far being nothing but a constant drama queen.

Edited by TheFunPolice

somehow, i think not.

jw

Hope it thins the herd a bit, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, he has had some nagging injuries - so did Bruce Smith - Smith was always missing training camp time for something, but he was in great shape - as is Williams.

And Smith was Sully's whipping boy, as well. IIRC, Bruce almost came to blows with Jerry in the locker room one time (that would have been fun to see, actually)...

I'm sure the NYC media would be forgiving of Mario Williams becoming the highest paid player in league history and so far being nothing but a constant drama queen.

Just because people in NYC or Dallas are douches (or need someone to yell "fire in the theater" to cut through the white noise of these over-stimulated media markets) doesn't mean that writing style is suited for Buffalo. The Felser's and Kelley's and other talented columnists that have come through Buffalo never had to resort to the 'lowest common denominator" approach...

And Smith was Sully's whipping boy, as well. IIRC, Bruce almost came to blows with Jerry in the locker room one time (that would have been fun to see, actually)...

Just because people in NYC or Dallas are douches (or need someone to yell "fire in the theater" to cut through the white noise of these over-stimulated media markets) doesn't mean that writing style is suited for Buffalo. The Felser's and Kelley's and other talented columnists that have come through Buffalo never had to resort to the 'lowest common denominator" approach...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good thing, but sadly it's how a lot of the sports media operates.

There is a thread on two different Bills message boards about Sullivan's appearance on WGR this morning. That means he his doing the job he was paid to do.

There is a show on right after the WGR morning show that is dangerous to listen to while driving because it will quickly put the listener to sleep. And it's like it's not even on the air if you read fan message boards.

Sully gets the attention and gets a reaction. It's all schtick in my opinion.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I work in sports talk, and when a team wins..people love to call in and celebrate along with a winner, but when a team sucks...People LOVE to bash and complain about the team just as much-It is theraputic .

.All we have had is sucking for years and years, so guys like Jerry serve a real purpose. He is the cheerleader for Buffalo sports sucking....When, and If that ever changes-Sully may no longer serve a purpose...Yes-he is negative, but all we have had is negativity with The Bills-for a long, long time. His frustration is a reflection of many Buffalo fans...and a lot times he is right on the money...Until The Bills show real change-They dont get a free pass!