Sullivan on WGR this morning

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all schtick and clown shows for Sully. I feel sorry for the legit beat reporters who are guilty by association.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm starting to think you are right. Jerry is a professional provocateur.

God forbid someone isn't a bills Lackie promoting the last 13 years of deception

God forbid someone writes something factual and not ginned up tripe.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If I could play devil's advocate for one second- Jerry Sullivan is an extremely negative person, or at least he comes off as one. But his media persona is a guy who covers BUFFALO SPORTS TEAMS. It would be a little ridiculous if he was positive all the time. "Yeah, the last four regimes failed miserably, but I have every reason to think this one will work out just fine." Which is basically the viewpoint that everyone on this board- including me- has taken. To Sully's credit, when the Bills or Sabres are playing well, he switches sides pretty damn quickly. In 2008 and 2011 when they got off to those great starts, he was absolutely gushing about the Bills. He was just as psyched as the rest of us. He just plays the skeptic until it actually happens. Can't say I really blame him at this point. He wants to be able to say "I told you so" to all us suckers and he's usually right.

All that being said, I lost a ton of respect for him when he said he cried when Gordie and Langlois played Wheat Kings at the Outer Harbor during the rain delay. And I'm not too man to cry; if you watch Dances With Wolves from start to finish, tell me you're not a little choked up when Wind In His Hair says peace out to Wolves. But I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love a band, that was not cry-worthy.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Ed Sullivan? The Beatles first appearance on his show was 50 years ago next year ... the Sullivan from the news ... does he matter? Turn the radio off when he is on air and turn the page in the Sports section of the NEWS. He is not worth wasting my moments on and now I have ... shame on me but that Ed Sullivan WOW ... BEATLES come to AMERICA and the world changed!

If I could play devil's advocate for one second- Jerry Sullivan is an extremely negative person, or at least he comes off as one. But his media persona is a guy who covers BUFFALO SPORTS TEAMS. It would be a little ridiculous if he was positive all the time. "Yeah, the last four regimes failed miserably, but I have every reason to think this one will work out just fine." Which is basically the viewpoint that everyone on this board- including me- has taken. To Sully's credit, when the Bills or Sabres are playing well, he switches sides pretty damn quickly. In 2008 and 2011 when they got off to those great starts, he was absolutely gushing about the Bills. He was just as psyched as the rest of us. He just plays the skeptic until it actually happens. Can't say I really blame him at this point.

All that being said, I lost a ton of respect for him when he said he cried when Gordie and Langlois played Wheat Kings at the Outer Harbor during the rain delay. And I'm not too man to cry; if you watch Dances With Wolves from start to finish, tell me you're not a little choked up when Wind In His Hair says peace out to Dunbar. But I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love a band, that was not cry-worthy.

Jerry is great for telling you what just happened...or at least some sort of embellished version of it. He can't tell you why things happen or what to expect. He also has a short memory and often contradicts his own earlier columns. Anyone recall the gem he wrote saying the Bills needed to pay Fitz?

PTR

His latest tirade against Mario isn't called for. What's the point? He's trying to run him out of town so he can author a string of stories how The Bills can't hold on to their best players? Azzes like him feed the trolls. Fer cripes sakes. There's enough bad happening that fans don't need guys like him dumpster diving for stories.

Sullivan, is apparently widening his "skill sets",and now apparently is looking into being a music critic.

Being humble by nature he has said that he "sits with the people". And refuses backstage passes.

Such Humility by a writer of a small time(propped up W. Buffet) paper, should make everyone proud he is part of the community.

I'm starting to think you are right. Jerry is a professional provocateur.

PTR

Of course he is. He's the print media version of a shock jock. That's his job.

If he were a better writer, he might actually be worth reading, or at least more compelling. I can't remember the last time I read one of his articles intentionally. Usually, I can tell from the headline of the hyperlink if it's a Sully article. Once in a while I'm wrong and I accidentally link to his column. But I close it immediately. Then I shower, just to be safe.

GO BILLS!!!

Although the topic of Jerry Sullivan and the local media has been beat to death, I have to vent. He is like the Kieth Olberman and Glen Beck of local sports all rolled in to one, not naming facts to support his opinions. No, he uses more ridiculous, unfounded opinions to support his already baseless claim. Today on WGR, he was listing Mario's faults and in the middle he stammered "posting pics of guns...err...the Aaron Hernandez thing...'

Jeremy had to force him to explain it, and it was some weak explanation about a facebook post. Had Jeremy not called him out, Sully would have been just fine to associate a guy who has injuries with a guy who murdered.

Sullivan's schtick is exhausted. Thankfully his headlines are a 'Deeaaad Giveaway' so I rarely give him even an accidental click. Time for he and the likes of Schoop to move on.

Preach!!

His latest tirade against Mario isn't called for. What's the point? He's trying to run him out of town so he can author a string of stories how The Bills can't hold on to their best players? Azzes like him feed the trolls. Fer cripes sakes. There's enough bad happening that fans don't need guys like him dumpster diving for stories.

Sully can't run anyone or anything out of town, he's just not that influential.

His role in life at this point is to generate "clicks" and cynicism + criticism sells particularly is the market he's mired in.

His choice of words when describing himself is a "sports CRITIC"....

I imagine he spends a good deal of time immersed in negativity trying to figure out who to next assail.

It's his job to be a negative, deprecating, Grouser. He's pretty good at it.

All that being said, I lost a ton of respect for him when he said he cried when Gordie and Langlois played Wheat Kings at the Outer Harbor during the rain delay. And I'm not too man to cry; if you watch Dances With Wolves from start to finish, tell me you're not a little choked up when Wind In His Hair says peace out to Wolves. But I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love a band, that was not cry-worthy.

Fully Completely in agreement with you on this point. The Tragically Hip played Wheat Kings basically to kill some time as they tried to sort out some equipment troubles with the deluge of rain. I highly doubt even the most ardent Hip fan thought of that particular rendition as such an "emotional touchstone" that it brought them to tears.

Perhaps Sully cried because he was tasked with writing a TBN-promoted article about a soon-to-be-cancelled concert instead of anything Buffalo sports. Perhaps it all has something to do with the popular perception that his access to local inside information is all but cut off these days.

And I appreciate the sentiments about ignoring/not posting about him, but I just HAVE to call out bullsh*t when I see it. Especially when, as evidenced by his concert review and his Manny Lawson article, it is done in such a smug fashion. He has essentially turned into the print version of Skip Bayless.

I just didn't see the point of his article. Why drum up negativity when all is well right now?

Who can blame Marrone for getting a little sideways when asked the same question over and over? How many ways can you ask what's going on with Mario? He had a sore foot. Somebody's looking at it. I'll let you know when I get more information. There are 88 more guys on the team I gotta worry about. Next.

Then Sullivan suggests Marrone is a hothead, and doesn't know how to handle the media.

Fully Completely in agreement with you on this point. The Tragically Hip played Wheat Kings basically to kill some time as they tried to sort out some equipment troubles with the deluge of rain. I highly doubt even the most ardent Hip fan thought of that particular rendition as such an "emotional touchstone" that it brought them to tears.

Perhaps Sully cried because he was tasked with writing a TBN-promoted article about a soon-to-be-cancelled concert instead of anything Buffalo sports. Perhaps it all has something to do with the popular perception that his access to local inside information is all but cut off these days.

And I appreciate the sentiments about ignoring/not posting about him, but I just HAVE to call out bullsh*t when I see it. Especially when, as evidenced by his concert review and his Manny Lawson article, it is done in such a smug fashion. He has essentially turned into the print version of Skip Bayless.

I know, right? I was there and I love Wheat Kings, but they were just killing time. Langlois was smoking a cigarette and it was actually kind of a sloppy version. I have seen so many greats put on so many great performances where you could hear a pin drop in the theater- John Prine, Neil Young, Merle Haggard, Gordon Lightfoot, etc.- and I don't know that I've ever been moved to tears. But that version of Wheat Kings made Jerry Sullivan shed tears? They play it almost every show. It was probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen him write.

He was on the radio, I did not read it. Did you read my post? It seems not.

I will now bow down to you, my master, Jboyst62 and your nearly 11000(100% football content filled) posts.

You are clearly superior to me and my <200 posts.

As far as I know, there is no rule on TBD that requires you to get jboyst62's approval.

I definitely agree with your opinion on Sullivan. He should be embarrassed to take a pay check for the hate mongering gossip - err "opinion" columns that he writes.

Regarding his crusade against Mario Williams, I think it is very unwarranted. Yes, Williams makes more money than he (or anyone) can live up to. Yes, he has had some nagging injuries - so did Bruce Smith - Smith was always missing training camp time for something, but he was in great shape - as is Williams.