Astro-Notes: July 31 Practice

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went today as well.

Just a couple things real quick

• Woods dropped a couple of easy balls that absolutely shouldnt of been dropped, he is also much smaller then I thought in person but he also made a few plays.
  • Manuel looked decent, they started throwing the house at him today and it is actually incredible watching Pettines defense because it is just all attack all the time.
  • Gilmore is a stud, this isnt just Bills fan bias when you watch him you know you are watching one of the best players at his position bar none, and he was still working on his hands after practice.
  • Dareus got all one reps today so that thing early in the week with everyone flipping out was because he was sick.
  • I was in the VIP tent after practice with just 4 of my friends and Kiko stopped by and talked to us for about 15 minutes, he is absolutely hilarious and was actually really a cool guy. Talked about his High-school and how trent was there and he just looked absolutely exhausted but hes a worker. In his words he just said "play, film, eat, sleep"

My 2 cents.

I went today as well.

• Woods dropped a couple of easy balls that absolutely shouldnt of been dropped, he is also much smaller then I thought in person but he also made a few plays.
  • Manuel looked decent, they started throwing the house at him today and it is actually incredible watching Pettines defense because it is just all attack all the time.
  • Gilmore is a stud, this isnt just Bills fan bias when you watch him you know you are watching one of the best players at his position bar none, and he was still working on his hands after practice.
  • Dareus got all one reps today so that thing early in the week with everyone flipping out was because he was sick.
  • I was in the VIP tent after practice with just 4 of my friends and Kiko stopped by and talked to us for about 15 minutes, he is absolutely hilarious and was actually really a cool guy. Talked about his High-school and how trent was there and he just looked absolutely exhausted but hes a worker. In his words he just said "play, film, eat, sleep"

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the addition.

When you say Pettine's defense is all attack, all the time ... how did the backfield do with downfield coverage during those attacks?

We should ask him 5x in a row and see if we get a different answer! Lol.

I particularly would like to know if Elliott had the team's permission to injure himself, as well as the name of who was driving the cart that took him off the field. Was he licensed?

Edited by eball

Thanks for the addition.

When you say Pettine's defense is all attack, all the time ... how did the backfield do with downfield coverage during those attacks?

vague question but I'd like info too

Gilmore island?

The problems against the run has been due largely to two factors: scheme and lack of talent at the LB position. The Bills have had one of the worst LB corps in the NFL for close to a decade. Cripes, remember when Ellison was the leading tackler on the unit? (Shudders).

Houston+Texans+v+Buffalo+Bills+So_ZeFfkRWYm.jpg

Kiko is a player and Bradham is a baaaaaaaaaad baaaaaaaaaad man. I have hopes for Lawson and Hughes but feel that the key will be Pettine's scheme and how he uses the talent that IS on the roster. This D-Line is still one of the most talented lines in the entire league ... on paper ... if Pettine can get more out of that unit than the 'Stache, teams will find some tough sledding between the tackles.

Edited by tgreg99

Awesome addition...keep it up for the rest of us!

I went today as well.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the addition.

They did alright, Choice had a nice pickup when Brooks came from the slot and I believe Freddy had a nice chip also. There was a free man rushing virtually every play which forced the QB to make quick decisions but also left openings.

vague question but I'd like info too

Gilmore island?

Continuing on that, when playing man, Gilmore is so good he is able to take whomever he is covering out of the play which really gives way to make the blitzing work. I have gone to camp for 10 straight years and even Clements (although I was younger) doesn't really hold a candle to him. He is special and he gives 100% every play.

Another thing like people were talking about was just the speed of practice, it was so fast pace with the coaches constantly yelling for them to go faster. There was a drill at the beginning of practice where they lined up at the 25, they would run a play and then every player would spring the 25 yds to the end zone, then they would quickly line up, run another 25 yard play, and everyone would sprint back to the 25. It was really cool.

listening to SIrius they could not get over the speed and how important it was. That even 2nd and 3rd teamers got time in 11-11 drills. They said that most coaches do not use this time properly and they were very happy to see that the guys could go at it to get again and again.

Too often they'd see coaches stop the plays as they happen because someone stepped wrong, or went in the wrong gap. They said that coaching in between plays can take away enough time to run 2 or 3 more plays.

They did alright, Choice had a nice pickup when Brooks came from the slot and I believe Freddy had a nice chip also. There was a free man rushing virtually every play which forced the QB to make quick decisions but also left openings.

Continuing on that, when playing man, Gilmore is so good he is able to take whomever he is covering out of the play which really gives way to make the blitzing work. I have gone to camp for 10 straight years and even Clements (although I was younger) doesn't really hold a candle to him. He is special and he gives 100% every play.

Another thing like people were talking about was just the speed of practice, it was so fast pace with the coaches constantly yelling for them to go faster. There was a drill at the beginning of practice where they lined up at the 25, they would run a play and then every player would spring the 25 yds to the end zone, then they would quickly line up, run another 25 yard play, and everyone would sprint back to the 25. It was really cool.

Thanks for the update! I cringed hearing Jauron say years ago "I wish I had more time" when talking about if the Bills were ready for the regular season. I definitely think that won't be the case with Marrone.

How did Da'Rick Rogers look today? Marrone said he is competing for a roster spot, but do you think he has a legitimate shot at one of the WR spots (2-5)? Thanks!

Thanks for the report Astro!

Great post, very informative. I like Gragg too but I think we struck gold in Darick. If Gilmore is shutting down Stevie and Darick manages to sneak by him he is showing up. Too early to know for sure but if he stays healthy and clean I think he starts game 1. May even outshine Woods.

It's early, of course, but I too am very excited about what Da'Rick Rogers may become.

In pre-draft reports, he was called "a Julio Jones clone".

Check out his interview (at Tennessee Tech, I think) if it is still available in the pre-draft info. He sounded like a respectful young guy, making up for his mistakes. Not a thug or badass at all.

It's early, of course, but I too am very excited about what Da'Rick Rogers may become.

In pre-draft reports, he was called "a Julio Jones clone".

Check out his interview (at Tennessee Tech, I think) if it is still available in the pre-draft info. He sounded like a respectful young guy, making up for his mistakes. Not a thug or badass at all.

His problems really haven't been behavior related as far as I am aware. Just poor decision making and too much puffin the cheeba. I talked to him very briefly at camp and he was very nice, engaging and appreciative of the support.

Edited by FluffHead

What did you see in regards to Brown and Legursky at LG? At the post practice press conference Marrone basically threw both of them under the bus.

Good think they don't have Levitre anymore. :(

Yep, I was going to ask about #74 and Cordy Glenn, both massive guys on that left side. Lost in the DB shuffle is also Ron Brooks, can he become more than a fan favorite?

Again, thanks for the reports.