Asking for a raise today. Who's got tips?

The Big Cat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never once asked for a raise. If your boss doesn't see your value and give you a bonus/raise based on that, then why not just look for a new job? That said, I almost always get decent raises and have had many promotions throughout the year. I subscribe to the "actions speak louder than words" camp.

You know now that I think about it I don't think I ever asked for a raise when I worked in restaurants. I was just such a kick ass hard worker I always got one. Well that and because in the restaurant biz you very rarely are an any one place long enough to get a couple of raises. :lol:

its took me a long time to really buckle down and put more effort into my work history/skills/attitude, etc. since then, my goal at every job was to become the 'go to' person who knew where to find answers. I never aspire(d) to the next rung on the ladder nor am i looking for the big payday. I know inside that I am doing a good job and that my boss appreciates my work, the rest(raises, promotions etc) are gravy. I know that some look at it as a negative to be in the same position for years, but frankly i figure once i master my job, that is when i will move along....

You know now that I think about it I don't think I ever asked for a raise when I worked in restaurants. I was just such a kick ass hard worker I always got one. Well that and because in the restaurant biz you very rarely are an any one place long enough to get a couple of raises. :lol:

Edited by The Poojer

If it is a legitimate performance evaluation, your supervisor knows what you have accomplished, what your objectives for the year were, and how you fared in terms of those objectives. He/she (no pun intended) can discuss your strengths and range of skills as well as the things you need to work on to grow in terms of your skills and your value to the company.

If your supervisor doesn't already know/can't recall these things, you're SOL because you've just wasted your time in the evaluation session; and your supervisor has no clue about the critical importance of acknowledging and promoting his/her supervisees' worth.

Two hour meeting: raise obtained.

Less than I wanted, more than they were planning to give me.

Curious ... Which TBD advice did you follow?

And nice job. Very happy for you.

Raise? Cost of living? LoL... I am federal employee, we don't get raises or cost of living anymore... I think we are going on 5 years now w/out a COLA. I am thankful for moving commodities through the economy for free! Good thing I got my sick leave to fall back on... Next time that oil has to be sent to the BP refinery in Whiting, thank me that gas has somewhat stayed stable and not crept up to 5 dollars a gallon... I am getting light Louisiana sweet through for pennies/chump change... . ;-) ;-)

Oh... BTW, congrats... Good job Big Cat!

its took me a long time to really buckle down and put more effort into my work history/skills/attitude, etc. since then, my goal at every job was to become the 'go to' person who knew where to find answers. I never aspire(d) to the next rung on the ladder nor am i looking for the big payday. I know inside that I am doing a good job and that my boss appreciates my work, the rest(raises, promotions etc) are gravy. I know that some look at it as a negative to be in the same position for years, but frankly i figure once i master my job, that is when i will move along....

To be honest, it becomes much more difficult to get promoted once you get past 2-3 years at any one position. Internal managers, and potential new employeers tend to pass over those folks they view as satisfied and sedintary. Additionally, if you aren't asking for raises, and aren't asking to move while becoming a "go to", you'll likely be intentionally passed over because you're a predictable static cost asset to your cost center, and they'll want to keep you where you are.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

If you work for a large corporation like I do, good luck. A few years ago at my annual review I decided I was going to ask for a promotion and raise. They had just introduced a new title system and I since had the snazzy pamphlet that laid out all the positions and what was expected to get to that level, I figured I could make a nice case. After looking at it I concluded that I had performed everything and then some for the position two levels above my current one. So I prepared a one page document to take to my review, on the left side was all the bullet points required of the higher position and on the right side I laid out quotations from my previous reviews that showed, in my managers own words, how I had met those requirements. Each and every one of them. All I got back was the usual cost of living increase and a bunch of corporate HR BS speak. I never really believed in the review process before this, but now I know that it's completely useless and serves only to keep a bunch of mid level HR people employed. In fact this year I'm thinking of just cutting and pasting my self assessment into the form from a few years ago, I'm sure it will go unnoticed.

Totally agree with this. There are some perks about working for a big profitable company but the drawback is they view everybody as replaceable. In our reviews that happen in Febuary I usually get a 3-6% raise. Back 5 years ago or so my bonuses were unreal. I would usually get 25% or so which was awesome. Now even though they are more profitable then ever the last few years they have really scaled back our bonuses. The last few years I have only gotten 7% or so which kind of stinks. I can't complain though, I am with Pooj, just grateful they let me in the door everyday, my boss & his boss are awesome to work for(I am not sure I would take another job making 20% more due to the fact that I love working for these guys) & back a few years ago when some companies were making employees take paycuts & we were really taking it on the chin for a few years in a row they never asked us to do that & still gave us small raises & bonuses.

So far that really hasn't bothered me. It may eventually, but I'm 50 and frankly just happy to be gainfully employed, appreciated by my boss and his bosses and my peers, and yearly small raises. I do see your point. Its a double edged sword, you are almost frowned upon from one perspective while perfectly happy in your own little bubble.

To be honest, it becomes much more difficult to get promoted once you get past 2-3 years at any one position. Internal managers, and potential new employeers tend to pass over those folks they view as satisfied and sedintary. Additionally, if you aren't asking for raises, and aren't asking to move while becoming a "go to", you'll likely be intentionally passed over because you're a predictable static cost asset to your cost center, and they'll want to keep you where you are.

To your point, I am a leading candidate for a position with a really big and really solid company but I don't want to leave where I am....it would be more money but not enough for me to leave what I like.

Totally agree with this. There are some perks about working for a big profitable company but the drawback is they view everybody as replaceable. In our reviews that happen in Febuary I usually get a 3-6% raise. Back 5 years ago or so my bonuses were unreal. I would usually get 25% or so which was awesome. Now even though they are more profitable then ever the last few years they have really scaled back our bonuses. The last few years I have only gotten 7% or so which kind of stinks. I can't complain though, I am with Pooj, just grateful they let me in the door everyday, my boss & his boss are awesome to work for(I am not sure I would take another job making 20% more due to the fact that I love working for these guys) & back a few years ago when some companies were making employees take paycuts & we were really taking it on the chin for a few years in a row they never asked us to do that & still gave us small raises & bonuses.

Raise? Cost of living? LoL... I am federal employee, we don't get raises or cost of living anymore... I think we are going on 5 years now w/out a COLA. I am thankful for moving commodities through the economy for free! Good thing I got my sick leave to fall back on... Next time that oil has to be sent to the BP refinery in Whiting, thank me that gas has somewhat stayed stable and not crept up to 5 dollars a gallon... I am getting light Louisiana sweet through for pennies/chump change... . ;-) ;-)

Oh... BTW, congrats... Good job Big Cat!

Run the numbers on what 52 weeks of no work with pay comes out compared to a COLA. :rolleyes:

Two hour meeting: raise obtained.

Less than I wanted, more than they were planning to give me.

Damn I'm so glad my paycheck is based on how hard I work and not what some guy in the "corner" office says.

.50 per hour is better than the .30 they had in mind.

I once worked at a place where they thought a 10 cent ($4 a week) raise was huge. I told them I wanted a quarter ($10 a week). My boss was unsure if they would pay it because it was such a large amount.