Asking for a raise today. Who's got tips?

The Big Cat

I once worked at a place where they thought a 10 cent ($4 a week) raise was huge. I told them I wanted a quarter ($10 a week). My boss was unsure if they would pay it because it was such a large amount.

I was managing a corporate dining facility in downtown LA in the tallest (at the time) builing in the city. I got a $20 bonus that they withheld because I had too many past due accounts receivable. My district manager was pissed and told me he'd talk to the managing director, or whatever his title was. I told him to not waste his time. If the $20 was that important to them they could keep it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once worked at a place where they thought a 10 cent ($4 a week) raise was huge. I told them I wanted a quarter ($10 a week). My boss was unsure if they would pay it because it was such a large amount.

My first job I ever had when I was 16 was at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Just a horrible job, so after 2 weeks I told my manager I am quitting. He pulls me in the office, closes the door & says I wasn't going to tell you this until after your shift but since you have been doing such a great job for us we decided to give you a nickle raise per hour. I said "thanks that certainly sweetens the pot but nevertheless I think I will still quit."

Refuse the offer, demand to be the highest paid Big Cat out there and not the 3rd best. Demand your raises for the next 5 years to be in writing too. Threaten to holdout if they don't make you the best paid Big Cat, as the leverage is clearly yours. Sure they could trade you somewhere else for two juniors but why would they, since you are clearly the best Big Cat out there. Doesn't matter that other Big Cats got their deals prior to the crisis, the time is now!

Sorry for going silent on everyone. I left work Thursday and promptly embarked for a Lake House weekend with seven other bros (it was just what the doctor ordered).

I was in God's country, no cell/Internet. It was glorious.

Chef, this whole process and even having the weekend to let things settle has made me long for the days when I was in sales again...

Thanks again for all the advice, and thanks for caring. :wub:

I remember when I had a huge negotiation to get a $.25 raise when I worked at Wendy's. Got pushed up from $4.25 to $4.50/hr. Those were the days....

I worked at my dad's restaurant in the 70's. He pulled me in his office and said he was giving me a raise. I told him he had to seeing they just raised minimum wage. I think I heard him call me "you little !@#$er" under his breath as I left his office.

Sorry for going silent on everyone. I left work Thursday and promptly embarked for a Lake House weekend with seven other bros (it was just what the doctor ordered).

Chef, this whole process and even having the weekend to let things settle has made me long for the days when I was in sales again...

Congrats. So are you going to tell everyone how you did it so the next guy doesn't have to ask again?

Congrats. So are you going to tell everyone how you did it so the next guy doesn't have to ask again?

I had a list prepared of all the responsibilities I've assumed in the past year and a report of median income for people in my position with my experience.

And... and... and... ???

Haha, and as per any review, I was made aware of some areas for improvement that weren't on my radar, made them aware of some things that set me apart that weren't on their radar, got less than I wanted, more than they planned to give me.

I've come to understand this is pretty GD standard.

So how did the raise thing work out?