Mark Anderson released.

Kevin

They can (and I fully expect them to) eat all the dead money this year, which frees up space for next year when they'll need it.

However, don't think this cut is purely fiscally based. He's simply a guy who doesn't fit and has health questions. They're throwing him a bone by giving him the opportunity to catch on elsewhere.

this is the new NFL. It used to be he was a lock to sign somewhere since he was vested. But now with contracts what they are with rookies he could sign vet minimum in late August after a starter goes down. I fully expect that.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy made a lot of weak players rich.

It would find it interesting to know what a guy does with $8 M for doing nothing. I mean, does he invest it, blow it on dope and whores,

or just bank it? Wish I was a sports agent.

Anyway, Mark, I can't remember even watching you. Give me a call if you need help with that 8 million.

this is the new NFL. It used to be he was a lock to sign somewhere since he was vested. But now with contracts what they are with rookies he could sign vet minimum in late August after a starter goes down. I fully expect that.

You're right, my main point was that this isn't simply a financially motivated cut. The opportunity to massage the cap is a bonus.

Recent reports seemed to indicate Pettine was going to use him as a third down pass rusher. They don't need him as a one dimensional player in Pettine's "multiple" defense.

Edited by uncle flap

Again, people don't understand how these decisions are made. Nix signed Anderson to fit Wannstedt's plan for the defense. Anderson got hurt and we all found out Wannstedt still thinks he is coaching in the mid-90s.

Anderson was a bust but it wasn't a horrible contract and it wasn't a ridiculous decision. Most fans and experts lauded the move when made.

Stop being so level headed about this...don't you know that TSW is all about the over-reaction?

Anderson's skill set (and age) don't fit the new defensive. Simple as that.

Why this is a mystery to the nattering nellies on this board is itself a mystery...

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 17 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 40%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. And if Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then we're back to about a one-third hit rate.

Right on Cue.

rotoworld update:

Bills released DE Mark Anderson. The move comes as a small surprise. Anderson signed a four-year, $19.5 million contract that included $8 million guaranteed last offseason. The Bills are eating an additional $500,000 by releasing him this year. After posting just one sack in five games last season, Anderson was expected to get another shot under the new regime. Instead, the Bills are wiping their hands clean. Jerry Hughes might be the new favorite to anchor one edge of the defense opposite Mario Williams. Anderson joins John Abraham on the free-agent end market. Jul 23 - 4:00 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3964/mark-anderson

I think the current coaches and front office people are big on reviewing tape and between OTA and training camp they looked at tape including the tapes from game last year and decided he did not fit. Bills paid a lot for him so they did due diligence before cutting him seeing no need to give him additional reps taken away from other players on bubble and trying to start.

During the Nix "Regime" 2010-2012

UFA / Re-signed players not with team

Dwan Edwards: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 18M contract March 2010 (cut September 2012)

Cornell Green: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 9M contract March 2010 (cut November 2010)

Chris Kelsay: Re-signed to a 5 year 28.2M contract extension September 2010 (retired February 2013)

George Wilson: Re-signed to a 3 year 7M contract March 2011 (cut February 2013)

Drayton Florence: Re-signed to a 3 year 15M contract July 2011 (cut May 2012)

Tyler Thigpen: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 11M contract July 2011 (cut March 2013)

Nick Barnett: Signed as an UFA to a 3 year 12M contract July 2011 (cut February 2013)

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Re-signed to a 6 year 59M contract October 2011 (cut March 2013)

Vince Young: Signed as an UFA to a 1 year 2M contract May 2012 (cut August 2012)

Mark Anderson: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 20M contract March 2012 (cut January 2013)

UFA / Re-signings

Kyle Williams: Re-signed to a 6 year 33.6M contract extension July 2011 (2013 starter)

Brad Smith: Signed as an UFA to a 4 year 15M contract July 2011 (potential cut 2013)

Rian Lindell: Re-signed to a 4 year 10M contract extension February 2012 (potential cut 2013)

Steve Johnson: Re-signed to a 5 year 36.25M contract extension March 2012 (2013 starter)

Mario Williams: Signed as an UFA to a 6 year 96M contract March 2012 (potential re-structuring 2014)

Fred Jackson: Re-signed to a 3 year 10.8M contract extension May 2012 (2013 primary backup)

Kraig Urbik: Re-signed to a 4 year 13.3M contract extension December 2012 (2013 starter)

Nix decided to sign 17 players during his tenure. 10 are no longer on the roster and departed before their contract was up, meaning his hit rate was about 40%. That's a far cry from the batting 1.000 you mentioned, but still well above the .333 winning percentage his teams recorded. And if Brad Smith and Lindell are cut, well, then we're back to about a one-third hit rate.

If you bat .333 you go to the All Star game.

Your numbers mean nothing unless you put them in context and compare them to other GMSs.

If that was the case, wouldn't Anderson have been cut earlier (right after OTAs, when Hughes' great performance was fresh on their minds) or later (during training camp, when they could see Hughes outplaying him every day)? I dunno. Just seems like odd timing.

Jones and Nelson weren't cut, they hit free agency and the Bills declined to tender them as restricted free agents. Would've cost at least $1.33 million each to tender them.

I'm cool with the decision to cut Anderson, because you have to do a cost-benefit analysis, and Anderson's doesn't shake out. But if a player of his age and pedigree (multiple 10+ sack seasons) was making the minimum, a team would absolutely wait until he looks like crap in training camp before cutting him. In fact, I expect him to quickly sign on somewhere once he clears waivers, and either make that team on potential or be part of the last set of cuts.

So there IS an analytics department at OBD after all.

Looks to me like it was a numbers game at pass rushing OLB. They may only have one spot for a one dimensional pass rusher and liked what they see in Hughes. Blatnick is solid vs the run and more versatile than Anderson. Versatility is the word Pettine likes to use regarding his players. Anderson is not. Hughes is a younger more talented version of Anderson. It was gonna be one or the other IMO. Glad they kept Hughes.

Sarcasm? This move saved the Bills no money.

Really? Was Mark working for free this coming season?

You also have to love the timing though. If this move was done before the Byrd deadline (I'm sure this wasn't just decided over the last few days), fans would have all been screaming about how this was done to free up money for Byrd's long term contract. Now, we're all stuck looking at our feet.

Blatnick is solid vs the run and more versatile than Anderson? An undrafted FA that hasn't played a regular season down in the NFL is solid vs the run and more versatile than a guy whos has multiple 10+ sack season? Interesting.

And, he plays both sides of the ball... wait a minute... ?Blatnick... ?Blatnick... Oh ****, I was thinking Bednarik. Who the hell is this Blatnick guy?

Really? Was Mark working for free this coming season?

You also have to love the timing though. If this move was done before the Byrd deadline (I'm sure this wasn't just decided over the last few days), fans would have all been screaming about how this was done to free up money for Byrd's long term contract. Now, we're all stuck looking at our feet.

Byrd still isn't signed. They can still negotiate a long term contract, they just can't sign it yet.

They can sign him to the franchise or a one year deal commensurate to what he'd get on his long term contract, then just extend it after the season is over.