NFL.com Greatest Football Movie Ever

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216054/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-semifinals

No information on who is choosing movies and winners. Can not believe Flash Gordon made the elite 8 (yes supposedly Flash Gordon was a football player but that does not make it a football movie). There are no user votes, information on why a movie won or even links to movie info. Really strange off-season feature.

For me, it comes down to "Friday Night Lights" (eliminated by "Varsity Blues") and "Everybody's All-American" which didn't even make the cut.

Sports movies are tough for me, as I normally don't like many of them...is "Varsity Blues" really that good? I remember renting it once, when it was new, and couldn't make it past the first half hour...

I have a theory that I am formulating that "Everybody's All-American" didn't make the cut because it is one of the few movies that portrays the "after the cheers die down" life of an NFL player... a "hot-button" issue for the NFL right now, I suppose...this thing is sponsered by the NFL. As a movie, it is certainly better than most of the flicks on in this tourney.

Reading the Program is not on the list is cause enough for me to not bother reading

Jeff- "The Program" is in the "final four" on the bracket.... facing off agaist "Varsity Blues"! Vote early, vote often!

Edited by Buftex

That the Longest Yard remake is anywhere on this list at any point invalidates the article. Football related or not. Maybe the worst movie ever.

That the Longest Yard remake is anywhere on this list at any point invalidates the article. Football related or not. Maybe the worst movie ever.

All due respect, have you ever seen "Number One" with Charlton Heston? He plays an over-the-hill QB for the New Orleans Saints...it is really bad...as in possibly "all-time worst" movies period. Heston, I think, was in his mid-50's when it was made...it is so bad, I rarely see it mentioned at all as a good or bad sports flick...

All due respect, have you ever seen "Number One" with Charlton Heston? He plays an over-the-hill QB for the New Orleans Saints...it is really bad...as in possibly "all-time worst" movies period. Heston, I think, was in his mid-50's when it was made...it is so bad, I rarely see it mentioned at all as a good or bad sports flick...

I am intrigued enough to check it out. If its as bad as you say, you will be hearing from me!

sounds like another version of heaven can wait

For me, it comes down to "Friday Night Lights" (eliminated by "Varsity Blues") and "Everybody's All-American" which didn't even make the cut.

Sports movies are tough for me, as I normally don't like many of them...is "Varsity Blues" really that good? I remember renting it once, when it was new, and couldn't make it past the first half hour...

I have a theory that I am formulating that "Everybody's All-American" didn't make the cut because it is one of the few movies that portrays the "after the cheers die down" life of an NFL player... a "hot-button" issue for the NFL right now, I suppose...this thing is sponsered by the NFL. As a movie, it is certainly better than most of the flicks on in this tourney.

That scene where the national championship team is introduced at half time of a contemporary game to less than an enthusiastic crowd, then the crowd starts cheering and Dennis Quaid) thinks it is for him, only to turn around and see that it is for the team coming back on to the field is really depressing. Wouldn't be surprised if your theory is correct.

Jeff- "The Program" is in the "final four" on the bracket.... facing off agaist "Varsity Blues"! Vote early, vote often!

Good post and likely right about the NFL. Everybody's All American is hugely underrated. I'd put it in my final four with Brian's Song, Longest Yard and North Dallas Forty.

Varsity Blues was just another silly teen popcorn movie. Every character a cliche, obligatory titty scene, etc.

Remember the Titans was the worst kind of Disneyfied dreck.

Edited by KD in CT

How the F did the remake of The Longest Yard beat the original? Any movie with Adam Sandler is....well, a movie with Adam Sandler. Landfill material. The '74 film had such great lines:

"I bet you'd like a cold beer right now" as they're shaving off his stache (very cruel)

"I quit" in the swamp

"I'm just as far from Tallahassee as you honey" B. Peters scene

"That's easy, you bring in a team not in your conference and kick the S**t out of them

"You bring your arm up underneath his chin and I guarantee you gentlemen, your opponent will be incapacitated for the next several moments"

"Temporary disabilities...ba**s, guts, ribs"

"We'll break it again"

"I think he broke his F****** neck"

"Here's a present from the caretaker"

"If it works, everybody hit him... got it? got it!

"Hissstorrry"

"Stick that in your trophy case"

Ah....memories

I am heartened to see "Any Given Sunday" not even able to beat "All The RIght Moves." I couldn't wait for that movie to be released, and then couldn't wait for it to end. The kind of movie that made me want to clean my brain by watching the remake of "The Longest Yard."