Here, look forward to this.....

Spiller will be a maniac this year. Regardless of QB, there will be check downs & screens. It will only add to his total ypg. I agree that he will be better conditioned as well. I remember a quote a little known movie (Lol) "it's time to kick the tires and light the fires"

Edited by FLbills

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the conditioning goes, wasn't the guy touching the ball just 8-12 times in most games? He was snapping off huge runs (45-55 yds) more times than not. No, don't think that it was the conditioning, I think that the guy was gaining a shitload of yards in a short period of time.

As an Original 50+ year bills fan, the only RB's in the history of the Franchise that can compare with CJ are the criminal in jail in Vegas, and Joe Cribbs. No one else has had the speed, instincts, or elusiveness.

And by the way, I think Thermal is an amazing RB.

As an Original 50+ year bills fan, the only RB's in the history of the Franchise that can compare with CJ are the criminal in jail in Vegas, and Joe Cribbs. No one else has had the speed, instincts, or elusiveness.

this

So you think that Spiller last season was a better all around back than Thurman?

I guess we have to agree to REALLY disagree on that one.

Not saying Spiller can't get there someday, and I sure hope he does, but so far not even close in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

So you think that Spiller last season was a better all around back than Thurman?

Not saying Spiller can't get there someday, and I sure hope he does, but so far not even close in my opinion.

FWIW, he didn't say that Thurman was a better all around back.

His main thought seems to have been that "No one else (besides OJ and Cribbs) has had the speed, instincts, or elusiveness (of CJ)."

I have to agree with you. To me Thurman was special, very special. I always felt that he caught balls as good, if not better, than most WRs.

His main thought seems to have been that "No one else (besides OJ and Cribbs) has had the speed, instincts, or elusiveness (of CJ)."

Not that Spiller can't be an elite RB but Thurman is already in the HOF and Spiller is not. 'Nuff said.

I have to agree with you. To me Thurman was special, very special. I always felt that he caught balls as good, if not better, than most WRs.

Not that Spiller can't be an elite RB but Thurman is already in the HOF and Spiller is not. 'Nuff said.

Thurman is in the hall of fame and Adrian Peterson is not. Adrian Peterson is better than Thurman

Sadly, TT was always 'asterisked' with Best All-around Back moniker. IMO, it's why he didn't make 1st Ballot HOF. CJ is as exciting and elusive as Juice and Joe C.

I know lots of people are expecting CJ to have a great year this because Chan won't be under-utilizing him anymore. But I'm not convinced CJ was significantly underutilized by Chan.

CJ had 1244 yards rushing last year and 459 receiving. With 1700 yards from the LOS, Spiller was highly productive in Chan's offense. And the Bills finished 6th in the league in rushing. None of these stats scream COACHING FAILURE.

And it's not like Freddy is chopped liver. Obviously, Freddy was hurt last year and there were times when Tashard Choice was in for CJ and those moments were hard to understand. But if Marrone or Hackett pulls CJ out for a breather to let Freddy play, I won't cry. Freddy is a great back, too.

I know lots of people are expecting CJ to have a great year this because Chan won't be under-utilizing him anymore. But I'm not convinced CJ was significantly underutilized by Chan.

CJ had 1244 yards rushing last year and 459 receiving. With 1700 yards from the LOS, Spiller was highly productive in Chan's offense. And the Bills finished 6th in the league in rushing. None of these stats scream COACHING FAILURE.

And it's not like Freddy is chopped liver. Obviously, Freddy was hurt last year and there were times when Tashard Choice was in for CJ and those moments were hard to understand. But if Marrone or Hackett pulls CJ out for a breather to let Freddy play, I won't cry. Freddy is a great back, too.

Odd post. Do you think it was reasonable to take CJ out of the game in the red zone? You win football games by scoring more points than the other team, and Gailey consistently took out his best player in the most crucial situations. Would the Vikings EVER take AP out of the game in the red zone? The coaching job was abysmal, regardless of how "good" the stats look.

Odd post. Do you think it was reasonable to take CJ out of the game in the red zone? You win football games by scoring more points than the other team, and Gailey consistently took out his best player in the most crucial situations. Would the Vikings EVER take AP out of the game in the red zone? The coaching job was abysmal, regardless of how "good" the stats look.

I think Chan's belief, was that CJ doesn't work as well when the field is crowded (red zone, short yardage, etc). I don't have enough data to agree or disagree with that belief, myself. I can see why FJ would be thrown in, instead... but Choice... not so much. Will be interesting to see what Hackett does.

I think Chan's belief, was that CJ doesn't work as well when the field is crowded (red zone, short yardage, etc). I don't have enough data to agree or disagree with that belief, myself. I can see why FJ would be thrown in, instead... but Choice... not so much. Will be interesting to see what Hackett does.

Spillers 6 yards per carry last season is impressive. And based on that stat alone it would seem logical to keep him in on 3rd and short, red zone, etc. But IIRC that high YPC was mainly due to the beautiful long runs that he had. In between those long runs were a lot of no gain or small loss/gain. Gailey did not see Spiller as a 3rd and short guy, and so far in Spillers career anyway, I have to agree. Seeing Hacketts use of Spiller in those situations will indeed be interesting once the regular season starts,

When the discussion comes up of CJ in the red zone, I think back on last year's game vs. KC. CJ scored two TDs within the 20: A draw from the 17 and a pitch from the 5. He looked totally fine to me.

I do also recall CJ fumbling at the 1 against NE, but he was still recovering from that shoulder so I'm not sure how that affected his ball handling there. I do know that it seemed to affect the playcalling thereafter.

Spillers 6 yards per carry last season is impressive. And based on that stat alone it would seem logical to keep him in on 3rd and short, red zone, etc. But IIRC that high YPC was mainly due to the beautiful long runs that he had. In between those long runs were a lot of no gain or small loss/gain. Gailey did not see Spiller as a 3rd and short guy, and so far in Spillers career anyway, I have to agree. Seeing Hacketts use of Spiller in those situations will indeed be interesting once the regular season starts,

You could say the same about Barry Sanders, and even that numbskull Wayne Fontes knew not to take him out in the red zone.

You could say the same about Barry Sanders, and even that numbskull Wayne Fontes knew not to take him out in the red zone.

True. But Sanders would/could go straight ahead when he had to get a couple tough yards.. Spiller tends to want to bounce it outside at the first hint of resistance. It worked for him in college, but is far less effective in the NFL. He did seem to get a little better about that late last season however.

Was it that Spiller would/could not get the tough inside yards, or was it that Gailey didn't want to let him try? Again, another interesting thing to see this regular season with the new staff.