What is the highest speed you have driven car or truck.

millbank

Often when I purchased a new vehicle have looked at speedometer and pondered just how fast the car could travel, but rather have had the courage or been so stupid to see what the top speed I could drive a particular car or truck. Thinking on it 80 miles per hour is about the highest i have driven this testing a Ford Taurus out in the country was nervous about getting caught speeding or harming myself or others for that matter. Can recall riding in car with salesmen between Winnipeg and Regina, This nut reached speeds of 110 +.. This the fastest speeds in car I have experienced. Scary as anything... Simple question what is the highest speed you have reached in your vehicle and for what reason. What is the highest speed in a car, truck or motorcycle you have experienced?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never gotten to 100, but have been up to 95. In general, I drive very conservatively. My average highway speed is about 73.

On my motorcycle, I got up to 75 for a few seconds. That's my current high on the bike.

120 in a cavalier

125 in a rental Pontiac sun fire

140 in a rental Lincoln town car

105 in an F350

110 in a rental jeep grand Cherokee

Speeds of 85-90 are easily achieved between towns on I85 in NC

My dad got a lot of rentals as a kid. He wanted us to practice and since his work paid for them we learned how to do the JTurn thing. Slam the brakes on at 70mph, mudding in town cars, how to get stuck, how to get unstuck. Etc. It was not just to teach us. We just liked tearing **** up, too.

The personal speeds are just in emergency situations, when I was 17 and when I was on a closed course. It foes not matter my top speed. But my average speed is good, too

Edit: noting they are rentals. And added reason.

Edited by jboyst62

95 miles an hour for me.

I was working in Mass. on TDY and my wife had a week off from school and I arranged for her and my daughter to fly up for a week. I used a travel agent and booked them a ticket and they were supposed to go to New Providence, Conn airport but in stead travel agent booked her to NH airport. I did not have a cell phone at time but just a text pager and was dropping a friend at New Providence airport so I had plenty of time to wait there for her flight. First message stated she was in airport and I was at gate and plane had not even arrived yet so I was confused. Second was she had gotten her luggage and was waiting for me and I am still trying to figure out if she took an earlier flight. More confusing messages. Finally got message from pager company that she seemed to be panicking and call pager company.. I called and pager company operator told me she got the airport to call pager company who said she was in 'Manchester-Boston Regional Airport' airport and telling me airport was trying to calm her down. This is first time I heard she was in wrong airport; thanked operator for help and to pass on next time she called I was on my way from New Providence airport. I drove 95 miles an hour most of the way there and fortunately it was a Saturday when traffic was light. I contacted travel agent who said she took emphasis on cheapest flight and said most of her customers who are looking to save money fly out of that airport. My wife thought I picked airport and never knew I did not know which airport she flew into. At the time I had not even heard of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport and New Providence airport had a lot of deals from Washington, DC area.

Ironically, the fastest I've ever driven a car was in the slowest POS I've ever owned. 1988 Toyota Tercel hatchback - 120MPH (estimated cuz the speedo only went to 110). That was with about a three mile downhill slope and a tailwind LOL. Since then I've had several hi-po cars and a motorcylce capable of 160+ (or so says the speedo). Never been over 100 since the Toyota though. My friends nicnamed it "The Wandering Tokemobile".

105 in an '84 Saab.

An three in the morning through one of those podunk towns on Rte. 20 where the speed limit's 35. I figured by the time I slowed down to the speed limit, I'd be through the town already, so what the hell...

92 Chevy Beretta had automatic shutoff between 100-115. I didn't even know that was a thing and started to panic before it slowed and kicked back on.

Every car I have owned I have gotten over 100 mph. I live near a section of road called the flats and it is a nice long straight away. Unless you know there are law enforcement officials reading this in which case I'm just joking and would never drive that fast.

While I was in Germany I regularly drove 105 - 115 on the autobahn, back when that was more common (it's not what it used to be from what I hear). I owned a corvette and lived in the desert southwest with long, flat, abandoned roads, so I took advantage. Can't say my top speed, but certainly over 125. Got up to a hundred on my bike once for few seconds...just to try it. Outside of that I won't break 75 bike. Now a days I normally drive 3-5 mph over the speed limit.

About 105-110 in my '95 Nissan Maxima, just to see if she could do it. Then when I tried to get my '02 Accord into triples, she labored, and I don't think we ever made it.

I would do it on stretches of i-80 to and from college when I had a straight, clear view in front of me, no cops in sight.

HOWEVER

The fastest I've ever traveled was 125ish in my buddies A4 on the winding, up and down section of Rte 15 between Lewisburg and Selingsgrove. It was at night, all four of us in the car were high, we were freshmen in college, and I was scared shitless.

120+ in my Jaguar XJ6 that had the power train replaced with 450HP corvette power train. It was early morning on a rainy Sunday morning on the 210 freeway in LA. The highway was deserted. That thing easily could have went faster it had plenty of gas petal left to push down. I just didn't want to go that fast.

First, I'd like to say i absolutely LOVE this topic. Thank you for the get away from the rest of the everyday offseason crap. Heres my list of cars and the speeds ive driven in them:

Ford Tempo- 95

Ford Ranger- 95

Pontiac Sunbird- 120

Chevy Lumina- 109 limiter at 110 I think

Ford Mustang- can't remember, around 100

Oldsmobile Alero- 114 limiter at 115 I think

Mercedes C230- 130+

I've also driven a late model NASCAR stock car, without a speed limit available, the spotter said I was probably around 110. That was recently at Lancaster Speedway

I've also been shotgun in a Eagle Talon TSI at 154 on the QEW. Scary as hell. We were going so fast I thought the mirrors were going to fly off.

I'd like to take this topic a little farther. What is your favorite song to drive to? Or the song that I scantly feeds your need for speed or driving with wreckless abandonment.

For me it's Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC I have this one readily available to me at all times and if I hear it I'm automatically speeding and swerving in and out of lanes like I'm in a Fast and Furious movie.

Edited by mrags