What is the highest speed you have driven car or truck.

millbank

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speedo broke at 120 on my 73 or 4? New Yorker ("the boat" which had a 440 in it) the night of the prom going down Main Street from Clearance to Amherst (at about 9pm) with 5 others in the car and drunk and high as hell, racing a Buick Cutlass (I won BTW, hah) but that was just the way things were in 1977. Lucky we all survived that night, some of those kids didn't get much beyond that age. RIP.

I got an MR2 up into the 130's once when I was young(er) and dumb(er).

Although it wasn't so much the speed that was stupid, it was the fact that I did it on a stretch of road referred to locally as Radar Valley. :bag:

143 in a 2012 Dodge Charger. But, it's got fancy lights and a loud noisemaker on it.

:lol:

I got an MR2 up into the 130's once when I was young(er) and dumb(er).

Although it wasn't so much the speed that was stupid, it was the fact that I did it on a stretch of road referred to locally as Radar Valley. :bag:

MK1 or MK2? I only had MK1s, 1st was an 86, then an 87, and last was an 88 SC. I've driven a MK2, felt like I was driving a bathtub, I prefered the go-cart feel of the MK1.

The speedo broke at 120 on my 73 or 4? New Yorker ("the boat" which had a 440 in it) the night of the prom going down Main Street from Clearance to Amherst (at about 9pm) with 5 others in the car and drunk and high as hell, racing a Buick Cutlass (I won BTW, hah) but that was just the way things were in 1977. Lucky we all survived that night, some of those kids didn't get much beyond that age. RIP.

Ah yes the memories. Driving my mom's 1977 Impala back to Genesee county from Alden at 4:00am drunk and high and going fast. What a bunch of dumbasses. :lol:

143 in a 2012 Dodge Charger. But, it's got fancy lights and a loud noisemaker on it.

Nice. Many years ago my brother and I were driving through the Southwest, got passed by a guy doing probably 110-120. A few minutes later a cop comes by doing at least 140; we didn't see or hear him till he was already past. We caculated it would take about 8-10 minutes for the cop to catch him. Sure enough, 10 minutes later there they were together on the shoulder.

Nice. Many years ago my brother and I were driving through the Southwest, got passed by a guy doing probably 110-120. A few minutes later a cop comes by doing at least 140; we didn't see or hear him till he was already past. We caculated it would take about 8-10 minutes for the cop to catch him. Sure enough, 10 minutes later there they were together on the shoulder.

I had the same thing happen to me on the 5 north early on a Sunday morning. A benz goes flying past me like I'm standing still and I was doing 90, then like 30 seconds later a cop goes screaming past me. I past them both on the shoulder like 10 minutes later.

Which was what I asked. 85-89 was the MK1 (aka Mark 1, first generation). 90-95 was MK2, and 2000-05 was the MK3. So you had the MK2. So what year was it?

I don't know anything about what generation it was or how many K's it was supposed to have, but this was around 87'/88'.

All I know is that it was gold colored and way too much machine to loan to a 19 year old kid who thought doing 135 mph on a 2 lane rural road was good, quality fun.

When I drove from Rochester to Chicago, I hit 130mph in my '90 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo when I was driving across Indiana. It was an open stretch of highway, straight, where you could see for miles ahead.

How fast were you going when you got pulled over in Alabama, or where ever we were at the time. :P

I went 85 in my Rav4 passing someone in the mountains on the way to the coast. :lol:

I don't know anything about what generation it was or how many K's it was supposed to have, but this was around 87'/88'.

All I know is that it was gold colored and way too much machine to loan to a 19 year old kid who thought doing 135 mph on a 2 lane rural road was good, quality fun.

If it was 87 or 88, it would have been the first generation (Mark 1 = MK1), like this one...

car_photo_322483_25.jpg

Depending on the model year, it may or may not have had the Super Charged engine. One easy way to tell was the engine lid. The picture above is a flat engine lid, so it had the normal engine. The SC engine lid had two raised panels on it to fit the SC.

And did you catch the speeder you were after, officer?

Yes, and he got a ticket commensurate with the amount of fuel expended to catch him. :D

It certainly is hairy driving at that speed with other traffic. I reserve it for special occasions...

The good thing about the Charger vs the Crown Vic is that I would have to drive 131 (where the CV tops out) for a much longer time. With the Charger's acceleration, the time needed to travel at those speeds is much, much less. The bad thing is that it is a Dodge, and the [insert random car part] is liable to fall off at any point in time.

Edited by Sig1Hunter