Bills' Top FIve Players are.......

1. Spiller - One of the most electrifying players in the league, potential MVP candidate if Bills make playoffs this year.

2. M. Williams - Like Spiller, Mario is on another level physically and talent wise than most at his position.

3. Byrd - Widely considered to be one of the best safeties in the league, it should tell you a lot that the FO was happy to franchise tag him which means paying him top 5 money.

4. S. Johnson - Three straight 1,000 yd seasons with Fitz as his QB, one of the best route runners in the NFL.

5. Gilmore - More than held his own covering #1's as a rookie. I'm really excited about this guy's future.

Currently id put wood over Gilmore, but long term Gilmore plays a more premium position and has the upside to play it better.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently id put wood over Gilmore, but long term Gilmore plays a more premium position and has the upside to play it better.

Yeah I think its pretty close between Gilmore, Wood and Kyle Williams for that 5 spot assuming they're all healthy.

Yeah I think its pretty close between Gilmore, Wood and Kyle Williams for that 5 spot assuming they're all healthy.

Very.

I figure all 3 have similar potential abilities at their positions but gilmores still getting better, Williams is likely entering his decline and woods peaking. Leaves me putting them wood, Gilmore, Williams, then dareus

But really wouldn't argue to strongly against slight tweaks and all have chances to move easily

Edited by NoSaint

1. Spiller - One of the most electrifying players in the league, potential MVP candidate if Bills make playoffs this year.

2. M. Williams - Like Spiller, Mario is on another level physically and talent wise than most at his position.

3. Byrd - Widely considered to be one of the best safeties in the league, it should tell you a lot that the FO was happy to franchise tag him which means paying him top 5 money.

4. S. Johnson - Three straight 1,000 yd seasons with Fitz as his QB, one of the best route runners in the NFL.

5. Gilmore - More than held his own covering #1's as a rookie. I'm really excited about this guy's future.

This is a good list with good rationales.

While Spiller and Mario aren't "top ten regardless of position" players, they are "top ten regardless of position" talents.

Both of them are physical freaks.

I think people are basing their Mario picks on what they imagine he could be. Houston didn't struggle very hard to keep the guy.

I think you are basing that on the jets game, not his career body of work. He's clearly among our 5 best players.

Edited by NoSaint

I think you are basing that on the jets game, not his career body of work. He's clearly among our 5 best players.

no its based on watching all his games last year. when the hand got better he turned into what he is --a good DE.His career body of work is that of a good DE. Teams don't let excellent or great DEs go as easily as Houston did.---I don't see him clearly at all as one of our top 5. Should he be in the discussion?....maybe. he is certainly nowhere near the player that CJ is. And I think Kyle has shown himself to be slightly better than Mario over his career. Mario is Clearly not better at his position than Byrd,Freddie,Stevie.

.................Based upon past performance and future potential in either Marrone/Hackett's fast pace West Coast offense or Pettine's highly aggressive, blitz-happy defense, I would have to say:

#5 - DT M. Dareus - His time has come. With a clear head he's ready to dominate.

#4 - CB Gilmore - He has made the leap to shutdown corner.

#3 - FS J. Byrd - The franchise player/Pro Bowl player/ball hawk should have a field day in Pettine's aggressive scheme.

#2 - DE/OLB Mario Williams - Since Pettine will very wisely move him around so that opposing offenses can't key on him he should be a major disruptive force on defense this year.

#1 - RB CJ Spiller - Just too quick for quick. With Marrone/Hackett ready to increase his touches to about 250 this year the stage has been set for Spiller to have a banner year. I expect him to challenge A. Peterson/A. Foster for the most all-purpose yards in the entire league.

Who are your Top Five??

1. Mario Williams

2. CJ Spiller

3. Cordy Glenn

4. Jairus Byrd

5. Stevie

Mario is clearly the best combo of performer, key position and long term projection. He could never live up to that contract. He doesn't have the agility to be a consistent 15-20 sack guy but he is a force nonetheless.

CJ is the most explosive player on the team but he plays a relatively easy position to fill.

I gotta put Cordy just ahead of Byrd and Stevie because of the positional importance and difficulty to fill that position.

Byrd is really good but there are a lot of decent cornerbacks that would make excellent safeties.

Stevie should be higher but his nagging injuries are a concern and i wonder if he is ever going to get his open field ability that he showed a couple years ago back in his game.

Dareus has the ability to top the list but it's a fine line between being a monster DT and being a fat guy who is just a tick too late. Last year, he was the latter.

Gilmore would be a projection. He wasn't as good last year as he is expected to be this year so he needs to prove it.

My top 5 as it sits today would be the same based on the criteria you set of both past performance and potential. I think by years end Kiko will be hard to keep off this list as I am expecting big things from him.

The only questionable one is Dareus, but I think he breaks out this year under Pettine which again fits your criteria.

Eric Wood is a top 5 player on this team, probably ahead of Dareus.

And finally it is good to see a PUNTER not in the top five.

Edited by ganesh

I'm basing mine purely on what I expect this season -- which may or may not reflect past performance -- and I'm not putting them in any particular order.

Spiller, Mario, Gilmore, Stevie, Kiko

Then I am confused as you contradict yourself by saying that Spiller has already shown his potential. The topic is the top 5 players on the Bills not the 5 that will improve the most? I actually think that Aaron Williams will do a pretty good job at safety. Byrd is regarded by most as a top 5 safety in the league and by many top 3. Even if he has maxed out his potential (which I am not sure that he has as his last year was his best) he belongs in the top 5 ahead of Aaron Williams.

Sorry, I meant he has shown his potential, but I think he has a higher ceiling we havent seen. Namely because he hasn't gotten the touches. He has a chance to be markedly better this year with more touches. Sorry for the confusion sir! :worthy:

So AW went from public enemy number 1, to a top 5 player on the roster?

Apparently the buddy nix draft record is pretty good these days.

I never made him public enemy number 1.

.................Based upon past performance and future potential in either Marrone/Hackett's fast pace West Coast offense or Pettine's highly aggressive, blitz-happy defense, I would have to say:

#5 - DT M. Dareus - His time has come. With a clear head he's ready to dominate.

#4 - CB Gilmore - He has made the leap to shutdown corner.

#3 - FS J. Byrd - The franchise player/Pro Bowl player/ball hawk should have a field day in Pettine's aggressive scheme.

#2 - DE/OLB Mario Williams - Since Pettine will very wisely move him around so that opposing offenses can't key on him he should be a major disruptive force on defense this year.

#1 - RB CJ Spiller - Just too quick for quick. With Marrone/Hackett ready to increase his touches to about 250 this year the stage has been set for Spiller to have a banner year. I expect him to challenge A. Peterson/A. Foster for the most all-purpose yards in the entire league.

Who are your Top Five??

We're obviously not talking just the TOP 5 BILLS!!! We're adding potential which changes things. What is not understood here in the bolded part above?

My origional list was made with this in mind. If you want my TOP 5 Bills

1. Jairus Byrd

2. CJ Spiller

3. Mario Williams

4. Stevie Johnson

5. Gillmore

That's my straight up TOP 5.

Edited by HamSandwhich

It's curious more defensive players are showing up on these lists than offensive guys, considering our offense was at least mediocre last year when our defense just plain sucked.

I guess we're blaming Wanny more than the players themselves.

Wanny certainly gets a lot of the blame, but I also think if you have three good players (Mario, Byrd, Gilmore) and everyone else who steps on the field is below average to awful, you're unlikely to have success.

We didn't get much out of Kyle/Dareus/Mr. Anderson last year and the LB play was atrocious. With poor coaching on top of it.

Two or three players aren't going to make up for all that.

Wanny certainly gets a lot of the blame, but I also think if you have three good players (Mario, Byrd, Gilmore) and everyone else who steps on the field is below average to awful, you're unlikely to have success.

We didn't get much out of Kyle/Dareus/Mr. Anderson last year and the LB play was atrocious. With poor coaching on top of it.

Two or three players aren't going to make up for all that.

Mario was awful for a good chunk of the season.