Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Well done Doug Whaley. I admire you for standing up to Eugene Parker and sending a message to all agents.

I hope this tough mentality also switches to the football field.

I suggest that Jairus has been poorly represented in this matter. My advise to Jairus is to sign the tag, accept the $6.91m and get to Training Camp. Be a good citizen, play hard and get the love of the Bills fans. Just prove how good you are in 2013. By holding out you will make life very difficult for yourself. Go Bills.

Byrd is out of his mind if he seriously considers himself the best safety in the game.

Or does he just want to be paid like he is?

Let me know when he impacts games, play in and play out, like Polamalu or Reed. Until then the Bills are being more than fair by slotting him in the top 4 or 5. That's where his talent puts him.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree totally. But Byrd should have his best years in front of him, unless his head gets messed up with these negotiations and by his agent.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't set the tone with Parker, he will keep coming back. If he knows you won't cave, he's got nothing. He's not better than any other agent, he's just willing to scorch the earth since he doesn't lose one dime.

Byrd isn't some innocent angel who doesn't know what is happening. You hire Parker for a reason.

Edited by jeremy2020

Its pretty simple, the Bills aren't backing down. They know that they have a stud in Byrd but he is certainly not worth the money he is asking. I am completely fine with top 4-5 money. They know that it would be cheaper for them to franchise him this year and next. No player in heir right mind would sit 2 yrs in a row. Byrd and his Agent will come to terms more in line with what the bills want, or he won't play for 2 yrs, simple.

I think we all knew where this was going months ago the minute we heard the words...Eugene Parker...At least I did...

The chances of Byrd being a Buffalo Bill beyond the 2013 season are about nil...Parker's not the type to agree to a home town deal...And I guess that's understandable...Byrd picked him for a reason...And it just seems to me this is a case where the player and his agent want to be paid MUCH more than they want to be in Buffalo long-term...So...So-be-it... B-)

I just hope they don't cave and allow a clause to be inserted into the 1yr contract allowing Byrd to walk next year to the highest bidder. Bills should retain the right to tag him again next year. If they cave, the Bills then can't get compensatory picks next year if traded. Stick to your guns Doug.....it ain't over yet.

I think we all knew where this was going months ago the minute we heard the words...Eugene Parker...At least I did...

The chances of Byrd being a Buffalo Bill beyond the 2013 season are about nil...Parker's not the type to agree to a home town deal...And I guess that's understandable...Byrd picked him for a reason...And it just seems to me this is a case where the player and his agent want to be paid MUCH more than they want to be in Buffalo long-term...So...So-be-it... B-)

I frankly am at the point where I would like to see the Bills punish Parker, even if it is detrimental to the Bills. I say, let him sit out training camp and come in not in football shape and not prepared to play in Pettine's defense. Let him sit on the bench and harm his future value. No deals with agreement not to use the tag. No trades to other teams this year. Let him hold himself out into obscurity. And then tag him again next year.

I frankly am at the point where I would like to see the Bills punish Parker, even if it is detrimental to the Bills. I say, let him sit out training camp and come in not in football shape and not prepared to play in Pettine's defense. Let him sit on the bench and harm his future value. No deals with agreement not to use the tag. No trades to other teams this year. Let him hold himself out into obscurity. And then tag him again next year.

Soooooo... your plan is to teach Parker a lesson by paying Byrd $15 million to do nothing?

Soooooo... your plan is to teach Parker a lesson by paying Byrd $15 million to do nothing?

Ummmm, no. I'd pay $6.9 million to play him on special teams. And that of course, is assuming that he continues his little strategy of holding out until the last minute. If he shows for camp, he gets to play.

And after I tagged him next year, I'd trade him for whatever picks I could get for him. There is no way after that he'd get anywhere near what he is asking for a contract price.

Edited by BuffaloBob

Ummmm, no. I'd pay $6.9 million to play him on special teams. And that of course, is assuming that he continues his little strategy of holding out until the last minute. If he shows for camp, he gets to play.

And after I tagged him next year, I'd trade him for whatever picks I could get for him. There is no way after that he'd get anywhere near what he is asking for a contract price.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Ya know, as irrational and spiteful as it is, you make a good point. Holding out hurts the team, but it can (and should) also hurt the player.

This is what you call cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I'm not sure why people can't separate their fandom from reality in these discussions..

Eugene Parker is a fair but tough negotiaitor according to pretty much every source out there.

What happened to Byrd is just 2 sides simply not agreeing to the value of his skills.

I think - if I look at it objectively like Joe B discussed ad nauseum on WGR - the Bills made a mistake.

But punishing an agent and lowering a player's value also does a couple other things: it spoils the water in future negotiations and, even if it lower's the player's value, it also lowers his trade value. That's lose-lose. Something good NFL teams try to avoid.

I have no ill will toward Byrd. As a fan, I'm disappointed at the apparent lack of negotiations.

If he played for the hoodie he would be gone and someone else would step to the plate.

The Pats have had some terrible secondaries off & on the past several years, they were able to score at will several years ago but got scored on the same. There's a balance here and the Bills can't afford to let our great players leave, unless they will only play based on being the top paid player at their position. You run out of cap bank real fast paying everyone all the money, all the time.

Imagine a scenario were the Bills cave & overpay, then everyone hires Parker. Try to field a team then, it's just not reasonable.

Both sides are in a tough situation, but Jarius is in a tougher spot. He's not going to want to participate in training camp, because any injury this year is a potential disaster for his future and any future contract. But by sitting out training camp, he won't be ready to play in this defense, so there is no reason for Pettine to play him. If he just rides the bench, then that doesn't put him in any better position for next offseason, and the Bills can just tag him again if they want. But are the Bills willing to pay someone $6.9 million to do nothing, just to rinse and repeat next offseason?

The main problem is that, now that the deadline has passed, we can't negotiate any long-term deal with him until next offseason. So he either plays and risks injury or poor play, or he sits out and does nothing to help his cause for next year.

I have no idea how this will play out this year, but my expectation is that he will be a sign-and-trade deal next offseason. Possibly.

Edited by Rubes

I haven't bothered to follow this like because Byrd played on one of the worst defenses in the league & wants the most money, crazy talk indeed.

I have ignored it for the same reason. I think he makes some big plays, but until the defense as a whole is much better, there is no one worthy of the top pay for any of the positions. I mean, they already have one, and it didn't have much effect. What kind of clown front office would field a bottom third defense with 2 of the highest paid players at their positions. FTG.

Albert Breer said on NFLN that Byrd still may report to camp ("he hasn't made up his mind"), so there's that. Also said that Byrd wanted to be the highest paid safety and that he wanted Weddle money and Bills weren't willing to go that far.

Then they thew to Sapp who rolled his eyes and said Byrd is crazy if he thinks he should be the highest paid safety in the league. He said that Byrd should sign his tender, get in and go to work. And added that when the team that drafted you, that has seen you play all your career, doesn't think you;re the best safety in the league, you need to look at yourself...

Bummer it all worked out this way, but in the end no one knows the true money, deal points and counters in this negotiation. Hopefully Byrd comes to camp and shines as the Bills D kills it next year!

Albert Breer said on NFLN that Byrd still may report to camp ("he hasn't made up his mind"), so there's that. Also said that Byrd wanted to be the highest paid safety and that he wanted Weddle money and Bills weren't willing to go that far.

Then they thew to Sapp who rolled his eyes and said Byrd is crazy if he thinks he should be the highest paid safety in the league. He said that Byrd should sign his tender, get in and go to work. And added that when the team that drafted you, that has seen you play all your career, doesn't think you;re the best safety in the league, you need to look at yourself...

Bummer it all worked out this way, but in the end no one knows the true money, deal points and counters in this negotiation. Hopefully Byrd comes to camp and shines as the Bills D kills it next year!

He has to come to the conclusion that his demands out of whack right now but it he shows up this season & has his rookie type INT's numbers with great tackling, then he has a shot at #1 money.

Eugene Parker is a fair but tough negotiaitor according to pretty much every source out there.

He uses one tactic. Scorched Earth. He hopes the other team blinks.

I'm ok with the Bills not blinking and tagging him two years in a row at which point Byrd wouldn't get anywhere near what he wants. You give in and he'll be back.