Kevin Kolb fan club- count me in

major

If we have to consider that, then the organization has failed miserably by drafting a QB at #16 they don't believe is the face of the franchise.

What possible reason would any Bills fan have not to be on the EJ Manuel bandwagon?

Let's say Kolb starts and plays a full season after a strong training camp. He puts up 3,265 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, completes 63.3% of his passes, and averages 7.3 yards per attempt. Those were Roethlisberger's numbers last season.

Buffalo finishes 8-8 (as Pittsburgh did last year) and doesn't make the playoffs. Manuel looks good in practice and is healthy over the course of his rookie year. What do you do for the 2014-2015 season?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize most dislike Stephen A Smith, but give this a listen...talking about EJ Manuel. I realize Smith kind of shoots his argument in the foot, when he mistakenly ID's Ryan Fitzpatrick as Manuel's competition for the Bills starting job... but I think he does a good job of explaining why EJ Manuel has a very good chance of being the opening day starter... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXvPABbR5nw

Still sour grapes that they couldn't pull off that deal for Skelton???

From what I have seen I like the Kolb signing. He seems like veteran that can play in a pinch or until Manuel is ready. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't have the most upside of the group but he may be the safest. I still think that Manuel starts week 1 but if they don't think that he is ready it will be a 4-6 weeks of Kolb.

I'm past Skelton It's Tannehill that I still want.

I realize most dislike Stephen A Smith, but give this a listen...talking about EJ Manuel. I realize Smith kind of shoots his argument in the foot, when he mistakenly ID's Ryan Fitzpatrick as Manuel's competition for the Bills starting job... but I think he does a good job of explaining why EJ Manuel has a very good chance of being the opening day starter... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXvPABbR5nw

I don't like Smith, but I think he was saying that Fitzpatrick was who Manuel has "to replace" and "succeed" (as in "follow"). That's accurate, though confusing because Fitz is no longer with the team. It is still who Manuel will "be compared to" (as well as to the other QB's, still with the team).

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Let's see what we have. Two journeymen QBs, neither have stuck, after each being given huge chances by their last two stops. A rookie QB that is at least a year, probably two years away. An offensive line that has taken a huge step back after losing its best lineman, best depth lineman and replaced them with UFAs. A TE corp that is way below mediocre and its best player is coming off major surgery and may not be full speed till half way through the season. One established WR (a #2 on most teams), a second year guy with bad hands, and three rookies. A backfield with two gifted RBs and no FB. Throw in a O Coordinator with zero pro experience and is younger than some rookies, add in a completely new offense that requires experienced lineman.

This is what I see too... though I'm still optimistic! :D

Thanks for posting that, I'm a fan of Stephen Naismith. He's an NBA guy all the way and doesn't have the pure football knowledge of many on this board, but he has a logical and balanced sports mind (unlike his counterpart there, sometimes). I think Smith's delivery/personality turn some people away. When he first popped up on the scene I could hardly stand him, but if you actually follow his points, he's an intelligent dude.

I'm not surprised he's unpopular here though, he is not really a Buffalo kind of guy. Brash, loud, loves LA, loves rubbing elbows with the rich and famous. But again underneath that crap is a good logical thinker.

To his point, the Bills don't have to immediately run the exact offense they plan to run when Manuel is in his prime. IF Manuel isn't ready to go through three or four reads in a traditional dropback offense, there's still a decent chance that we can cater the offense to what he Is ready for (simplify the passing reads, use his athleticism), and still have a better chance to win than we'd have with Kolb. Was it you Buftex who made the comparison to early Vince Young? If there's any way that Manuel can take the field and give us a better chance to win than Kolb, that's what has to happen. We can always expand the offense during the season or next year.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Thanks for posting that, I'm a fan of Stephen Naismith. He's an NBA guy all the way and doesn't have the pure football knowledge of many on this board, but he has a logical and balanced sports mind (unlike his counterpart there, sometimes). I think Smith's delivery/personality turn some people away. When he first popped up on the scene I could hardly stand him, but if you actually follow his points, he's an intelligent dude.

I'm not surprised he's unpopular here though, he is not really a Buffalo kind of guy. Brash, loud, loves LA, loves rubbing elbows with the rich and famous. But again underneath that crap is a good logical thinker.

To his point, the Bills don't have to immediately run the exact offense they plan to run when Manuel is in his prime. IF Manuel isn't ready to go through three or four reads in a traditional dropback offense, there's still a decent chance that we can cater the offense to what he Is ready for (simplify the passing reads, use his athleticism), and still have a better chance to win than we'd have with Kolb. Was it you Buftex who made the comparison to early Vince Young? If there's any way that Manuel can take the field and give us a better chance to win than Kolb, that's what has to happen. We can always expand the offense during the season or next year.

Agreed..I used to hate him...he was just too loud...I am not into loud! But, for about 4 or 5 months, our local sports talk radio affiialte carried his morning radio show...and I saw (or heard) what you see...a really bright guy, who doesn't seem to take a stance, just for arguments sake, and who belives what he is saying. He is the anti-Colin Cowherd/Skip Bayless...guys who just talk for the sake of talking... I am also an NBA fan (also not very popular here), so maybe I appreciate him a little more. He is probably one of the only current ESPN talking heads that I like.

And yes, it was me who made the VY comparisons, which is why I posted the Stephen A clip...it kind of goes with what I was saying. VY was able to put together a winning record as a starter in Tennessee, using his athletic ability alone. He never refined his QB skills...if the had, he wouldn't be looking for a job today.

Maybe I am being too optimistic, but with what I have seen (admitedly, mostly high-lights), EJ looks to have similar athletic skills...but, by all accounts is smart, and coachable. I don't mind going with Kolb for a few games if that is what the coaches feel is best...but I also don't mind the option of putting the kid out there, let him get the mistakes out of his system, make som big plays along the way, and make Buffalo Bills football fun to watch again. If all the hype about this kid is true, that he is charismatic, a true leader...lets' get the EJ Manuel era started....

Edited by Buftex

I would gladly wear a lapel pin identifying me as a charter member of the Kevin Kolb fan club.

And I would sport it proudly on the basis of how #4 came across in his opening presser alone. His NFL credentials notwithstanding, he sure seems like a man of conviction and a strong team leader. He should add that veteran presence we will need in the QB room with an anointed youngster trying to cut his NFL teeth. We know very little about Tarvaris Jackson based on what Chan did (not do) with him last year, but I have also heard good things about #7's work ethic as well. Sounds like a nice recipe for baptising a greenhorn QB to me.

I would really hope and believe that EJ will ultimately win the job by opening day in September. And if he does, I will still wear my Kolb button, because either Kolb or Jackson (or both?) will be right there sporting a fresh New Era lid to help #3 decipher what he is seeing once the games start to count.

To me, Kolb is Fitz with a better arm, stronger leadership, and ultimately more upside (if necessary). So, a very good value and/or insurance policy that essentially cost us nothing but the money we wanted to pay Fitz to tutor the new guy anyway. And if Tarvaris ends up as the primary backup, he comes even more cheaply.

Isn't Smith the guy that said he didn't understand why more teams don't attempt field goals on third down, because if they miss they can try again?

If we have to consider that, then the organization has failed miserably by drafting a QB at #16 they don't believe is the face of the franchise.

What possible reason would any Bills fan have not to be on the EJ Manuel bandwagon?

Exactly!

I'm past Skelton It's Tannehill that I still want.

That's like saying you want RG3, Russell Wilson, or Luck. All of them are on rookie contracts and won't be free agents for a few years, so what's the point? Tannehill isn't going to suddenly become available.

I'm in the kolb corner this season. I feel he has the tools to help us become a winning franchise. Nothing against EJ or t jax, i just feel kolb has the most upside. I really like all 3 of our potential qb's but if I have to pick a starter, I've got to go with kolb. Now all he has to do is stay healthy.

I really don't care who starts i just want some freaking W's stacked all over the place!!!

I'm in the kolb corner this season. I feel he has the tools to help us become a winning franchise. Nothing against EJ or t jax, i just feel kolb has the most upside. I really like all 3 of our potential qb's but if I have to pick a starter, I've got to go with kolb. Now all he has to do is stay healthy.

I was in Philly the past few days for an "Eagles Fly For Leukemia" event and, upon seeing my Billy Buffalo Driver cover, many took opportunity to poke and/or chide a team pinning our hopes on Kolb. To a man they said, he will look great in 7 on 7 drills and with nobody in his face, but watch what happens when the bullets fly. For what it's worth, there is a reason we drafted EJ....

I was in Philly the past few days for an "Eagles Fly For Leukemia" event and, upon seeing my Billy Buffalo Driver cover, many took opportunity to poke and/or chide a team pinning our hopes on Kolb. To a man they said, he will look great in 7 on 7 drills and with nobody in his face, but watch what happens when the bullets fly. For what it's worth, there is a reason we drafted EJ....

And my buddy from Philly said the exact opposite. So...

Not sure I agree with Kolb having the most upside. I think EJ definitely has him beat there.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see Kolb start and play well to begin the season.

Agreed. I wanna see Kolb start the season. Then work in Manuel later in the season.

I don't care who starts Week 1, as long as we see one of these QB's take the reigns and elevate the team's performance on the field.

If that means Kolb is a diamond in the rough and becomes an excellent QB and EJ Manuel does not work out, so be it. Or vice versa.

Let's say Kolb starts and plays a full season after a strong training camp. He puts up 3,265 yards, 26 TDs, 8 INTs, completes 63.3% of his passes, and averages 7.3 yards per attempt. Those were Roethlisberger's numbers last season.

Buffalo finishes 8-8 (as Pittsburgh did last year) and doesn't make the playoffs. Manuel looks good in practice and is healthy over the course of his rookie year. What do you do for the 2014-2015 season?

That is a good problem to have.....because it means we are productive at the QB position....and EJ manuel gets even MORE them to get ready ala Rogers from Green Bay......

and if Pettine gets this defense up to speed....numbers like that mean playoffs with this running game.

Personally I hope we at least make a wild card this year.....getting us out of contention of the QBs that will be taken in the top of round 1 so fans can stop bitching.

Let's see what we have. Two journeymen QBs, neither have stuck, after each being given huge chances by their last two stops. A rookie QB that is at least a year, probably two years away. An offensive line that has taken a huge step back after losing its best lineman, best depth lineman and replaced them with UFAs. A TE corp that is way below mediocre and its best player is coming off major surgery and may not be full speed till half way through the season. One established WR (a #2 on most teams), a second year guy with bad hands, and three rookies. A backfield with two gifted RBs and no FB. Throw in a O Coordinator with zero pro experience and is younger than some rookies, add in a completely new offense that requires experienced lineman.

If you think Kolb, TJax or Manuel is the answer you are answering the wrong question. The question is outside of RB is there one area of depth or experience in this offense. That answer is no. This offense will be a cluster F till midway through the season after which it may achieve mediocrity.

Wow, and I thought I was hopeful!

Kolb will start the season ? I think either TJack or Kolb are getting cut ! What other team would pick them up ? We can get them back at any time through the season. EJ is the future of this team and will start week 1 .

Decent proven-NFL-capable backup QB with straight heads are in short supply this year. Look at the fact there is actually reported interest in Jamarcus Russell.

Injuries will occur to backups and starters during training camp/early in the season. If either TJax or Kolb are cut, chances are very good they will find another home.

EJ may be the future of this team, he was widely believed to be a "project" as an NFL QB. Marrone will start him when he is ready and not before.