Good article about Byrd agent Eugene Parker by Tim Graham

bbb

Really interesting how Parker came from the inner city with no father, etc. and worked his way up to being highly respected by both players and owners/mgt.

I don't agree with all his tactics (not leaving one dollar on the table, the poison pill for the Jets/Curtis Martin, renegotiating Jason Peters over and over), but he does seem like a real solid guy:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130602/SPORTS/130609848/1004

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really interesting how Parker came from the inner city with no father, etc. and worked his way up to being highly respected by both players and owners/mgt.

I don't agree with all his tactics (not leaving one dollar on the table, the poison pill for the Jets/Curtis Martin, renegotiating Jason Peters over and over), but he does seem like a real solid guy:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130602/SPORTS/130609848/1004

Wasn't he only involved in the final peters negotiation?

Ut oh, doesn't look like Byrd will be in a Bills' uniform for quite some time. Even if Byrd were to sign his offer sheet sometime this year and was able some part of this upcoming season, could the Bills franchise tag Byrd again for the following 2014 season?

Ut oh, doesn't look like Byrd will be in a Bills' uniform for quite some time. Even if Byrd were to sign his offer sheet sometime this year and was able some part of this upcoming season, could the Bills franchise tag Byrd again for the following 2014 season?

Yes they could.

Yes. And if what I think, which is that Byrd doesn't have the playbook yet, is true, I think he comes in for training camp. If he doesn't know the defense and has a poor 2013, he loses a ton of money next off-season.

Parker being Byrds agent scares me. I'd love to read that Byrd gives him the axe. I think there's a good chance this gets real ugly. I'm in the group that thinks we should make him the highest paid safety in the league. He's a turnover machine. When you have a turnover machine; you can't let him go IMO. He's young, smart, a good guy and one helluva player. Seeing him in a real defensive scheme will be fun to watch. He's been productive playing in 2 of the worst schemes in NFL history.

Yes. And if what I think, which is that Byrd doesn't have the playbook yet, is true, I think he comes in for training camp. If he doesn't know the defense and has a poor 2013, he loses a ton of money next off-season.

Huh? That's a heckuva a stretch to declare missing the off-season automatically means him playing poorly and therefore he won't get the cash after this season? Revis held in 2010 for the entire post-season and did just fine and yes, I recognize one is a CB and the other a S. It's probably the last thing on Byrd and the agent's mind going into negotiations.

Byrd's adapted fine to playing in 3 defenses in 4 seasons. I doubt it'll take much to pick up what Pettine's preaching.

Huh? That's a heckuva a stretch to declare missing the off-season automatically means him playing poorly and therefore he won't get the cash after this season? Revis held in 2010 for the entire post-season and did just fine and yes, I recognize one is a CB and the other a S. It's probably the last thing on Byrd and the agent's mind going into negotiations.

Byrd's adapted fine to playing in 3 defenses in 4 seasons. I doubt it'll take much to pick up what Pettine's preaching.

Huh? Revis was in the same defense in 2010 as he was in 2009, Ryan's first year in Jersey. And I'm not saying he definitely will struggle, but there's a chance he could, like he did in 2010 with a new defense.

I know that if Byrd signs his offer sheet and comes in the Bills can franchise him again next season with a 10% raise, but what happens if he doesn't sign the offer sheet?

\

He remains the Bills' property. He'll eventually sign the offer sheet.

It might be more cost effective for the Bills to just keep franchising him if they can't come to a fair deal with Parker. It would be unfortunate for Byrd, because he has been a good soldier and is a heck of a Safety but this is a business. If that were to happen then I would have to wonder which party would have more of the "leverage" that Parker mentioned in the article. The downside to that scenario I would think would be that a organization would have a disgruntled player and that they would be sending the wrong message to the rest of the team. Man, I hope that all parties involved gets this thing worked out and in a timely manner to boot!

“I don’t bluff because that’s just not me,” Parker said. “In this business, if you bluff and somebody calls it, in my mind you’ve lost all credibility forever.”

That says it all. And why I don't think Byrd will be a Bill any longer. Everyone here talking, saying that Byrd would have to show up for regular season games, I say just to prove a point he doesn't. Ends up getting traded and everyone here has a heart attack.

Huh? Revis was in the same defense in 2010 as he was in 2009, Ryan's first year in Jersey. And I'm not saying he definitely will struggle, but there's a chance he could, like he did in 2010 with a new defense.

And Byrd's been in 3 in 4 NFL seasons. There's a chance for a lot of things, but it's a huge leap to think not showing for TC will mean his play suffers significantly to warrant a smaller contract on the open market. There's a chance he could have another All-Pro season in a scheme that should generate more pressure and therefore more inadvertent throws into coverage.

The point to all of this is Byrd will get paid. If the Bills don't like paying the going rate, well, it's Peters 2.0. And that worked for the player and agent last time.

The most important thing to me is to laud Tim Graham for an extremely well-written and well-researched piece.

We complain all the time about the coverage that the Bills get and to read a piece with historical perspective and quotes from relevant major players in framing a situation is something that deserves major kudos.

Great job Tim and thank you for helping restore my faith in the local Bills coverage.

The second most important thing to mention is that no one out of the numerous people quoted in the piece had anything bad to say about Eugene Parker except for Robert Kraft (who was counterpointed by Bill Parcells) and that the actual facts of Parker's existence show a man of honor and honesty.

In many ways I feel much better about things having read this piece.

Just reading between the lines but drafting two safeties with Dukes and Meeks and having Williams move to safety pretty much indicates that the front office is planning on his departure. With Parker as his agent any negotiating is pretty much off the table. I may be wrong and I'm hoping i am but that's a big contract for a safety while he is very good he is not Polomalu or Ed Reed.

Just reading between the lines but drafting two safeties with Dukes and Meeks and having Williams move to safety pretty much indicates that the front office is planning on his departure. With Parker as his agent any negotiating is pretty much off the table. I may be wrong and I'm hoping i am but that's a big contract for a safety while he is very good he is not Polomalu or Ed Reed.

This echos what many posters said about Levitre.

Things could change, but the situation does not look good. I strongly doubt that the Bills could get as much for Byrd as they did for Peters in a trade.

I know that if Byrd signs his offer sheet and comes in the Bills can franchise him again next season with a 10% raise, but what happens if he doesn't sign the offer sheet?

He doesn't play, doesn't get paid and loses a year of service time towards UFA.