Good article about Byrd agent Eugene Parker by Tim Graham

bbb

well, lets not say the tag is pennies.

i mentioned it in another thread, but if anyone cares to look i would be curious to hear parkers track record on franchise tags.

compared to the $40-50million he would get in a long term contract with about $20-30million guaranteed I would say its small potatoes. Especially when you play a physical contact sport where injuries happen all the time. Why risk it? In the end, he will get paid anyway, so if your not broke and hurting for cash, why wouldn't you hold out for likely 6x more than if you signed the tag, played one season, and had a career ending injury.

But I agree, 7m is not pennies. Just compared to what he could be making its not worth it.

Edited by mrags

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not quite sure why there's like 3-4 Byrd threads. I'm also not quite sure why I have to keep repeating myself. Byrd doesn't have to sit out the entire year. He doesn't even have to sit out a single regular season game. All he has to do is sit out the pre season games, give the impression that he will not show up or sign his tender and play any regular season games and the Bills will feel forced to find a trading partner.

I hope they do trade him. Byrd was good, and great at times. But he is eminently replaceable. This team won 16 games the past 3 seasons. Other than CJ Spiller there is noone on this roster who has outrageously special skills, (hopefully EJ will be there soon as well) Byrd included. If we can get a first round pick and a solid player, or even a 2 and a 3 in next years draft, I am all for it. Remember, this is a new coaching staff. They have no loyalty to anyone on this team. Nor should they.. If Byrd does not want to be part of the new regime, than lets get the best deal possible and move on. I root for the team and not the individual player. Whoever is wearing our unis is who I want to go nuts over!!

Really interesting how Parker came from the inner city with no father, etc. and worked his way up to being highly respected by both players and owners/mgt.

I don't agree with all his tactics (not leaving one dollar on the table, the poison pill for the Jets/Curtis Martin, renegotiating Jason Peters over and over), but he does seem like a real solid guy:

http://www.buffalone.../130609848/1004

Without having read the article and seeing "inner city" I'm going to assume Parker is black. I always thought he was some stubborn white guy. I did the same thing with John Guy.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Without having read the article and seeing "inner city" I'm going to assume Parker is black. I always thought he was some stubborn white guy. I did the same thing with John Guy.

Haha - I did the same thing with John Guy...............And, until this season, I assumed JJ Watt was black.

Just reading between the lines but drafting two safeties with Dukes and Meeks and having Williams move to safety pretty much indicates that the front office is planning on his departure. With Parker as his agent any negotiating is pretty much off the table. I may be wrong and I'm hoping i am but that's a big contract for a safety while he is very good he is not Polomalu or Ed Reed.

What's a big contract? I don't know what Parker is demanding for Byrd?

It seems that the Bills have made every right move since the end of the season, including franchising Byrd. I'll assume that they also are willing to pay Byrd as the highest paid safety, because he might be the best right now, and it's all a matter of timing anyway. (The Bills proved with the signing of Mario, they are willing to spend)

Does anybody have any idea what the Byrd side is demanding?

This echos what many posters said about Levitre.

Things could change, but the situation does not look good. I strongly doubt that the Bills could get as much for Byrd as they did for Peters in a trade.

I wonder how much Parker would play in this part of things. At what if any point do the Bills say " go find a team that will give Byrd the contract you think he deserves and get the Bills a first and third round pick". Can Parker talk to other teams or is it only the Bills who can talk to other teams about a trade?

Outstanding article! Good to see one of the agents out there act with some class.

Bottom line is though Byrd is hyped by one seasons stats and Safety's are not a high commodity. Now he is going to come from different angles about his age, interceptions etc. and that is his job.

In the end I would rather Buffalo NOT sign him and try to get picks for him. Our new DC can do a ton with the Safetys we have and there might be a street FA or two out there as well. I would not pay Byrd a ton.

I hope they do trade him. Byrd was good, and great at times. But he is eminently replaceable. This team won 16 games the past 3 seasons. Other than CJ Spiller there is noone on this roster who has outrageously special skills, (hopefully EJ will be there soon as well) Byrd included. If we can get a first round pick and a solid player, or even a 2 and a 3 in next years draft, I am all for it. Remember, this is a new coaching staff. They have no loyalty to anyone on this team. Nor should they.. If Byrd does not want to be part of the new regime, than lets get the best deal possible and move on. I root for the team and not the individual player. Whoever is wearing our unis is who I want to go nuts over!!

You might not like the man, but his job isn't to please fans, it's to advance the interests of his client, and he does that very well. One thing I will say for him, he doesn't negotiate in public or through the press. He doesn't run a circus.

I like Byrd and I hate, hate, hate losing good players. That said, it's a hard sell to justifying that the place to dump a lot of money is at free safety.

You might not like the man, but his job isn't to please fans, it's to advance the interests of his client, and he does that very well. One thing I will say for him, he doesn't negotiate in public or through the press. He doesn't run a circus.

I like Byrd and I hate, hate, hate losing good players. That said, it's a hard sell to justifying that the place to dump a lot of money is at free safety.

he's a chump. all the other stuff aside--hard-scrabble kid from a tough neighborhood, charlie from charlie's angels stuff aside....i'm a fan of the buffalo bills, and my job is to complain about anything that gets in the way of success. i don't think he's any more chump-ish than any other agent, nor is he any less chump-ish. for what it's worth, my list of chumps is quite long, it started in 1970 or so.

here's an article from 2009 on the SB Nation KC Chiefs page, about EP's holdout history, and the perceived winners.

What's interesting is that, at least according to the writer in 2009, EP (and therefore, his client) either won or considered a draw in every holdout, except the Jason Peters/Bills situation, where he declared the Bills as winners.

You're the agent of the #3 overall pick and you negotiate more money than the #1 pick, who was a quarterback (Eli Manning) no less? Eugene Parker is a shark of an agent.

here's an article from 2009 on the SB Nation KC Chiefs page, about EP's holdout history, and the perceived winners.

What's interesting is that, at least according to the writer in 2009, EP (and therefore, his client) either won or considered a draw in every holdout, except the Jason Peters/Bills situation, where he declared the Bills as winners.

Good find - one note: walter jobes being the only tag example and his client played under the tag for three years, despite sitting out camp

Good find - one note: walter jobes being the only tag example and his client played under the tag for three years, despite sitting out camp

Except Jones dominated each one of those seasons from start to finish, unlike Peters' poor 2008 season.

Except Jones dominated each one of those seasons from start to finish, unlike Peters' poor 2008 season.

I don't know what peters has to do with my wonder if Byrd would be likely to sit out games or if the tag provides high enough pay to atleast steer Parker towards advising his client to play

I also don't think that Byrd would show up out of shape and "think about the contract" while playing. So peters isn't a good comparable there either.

I don't know what peters has to do with my wonder if Byrd would be likely to sit out games or if the tag provides high enough pay to atleast steer Parker towards advising his client to play

I also don't think that Byrd would show up out of shape and "think about the contract" while playing. So peters isn't a good comparable there either.

Sorry. I was just talking about the difference between Jones and Peters. Had Peters come in and played at his 2007 level in 2008, the Bills likely would have given him $10M/year.

As for what Byrd will or won't do, I believe that there is/are major disincentive(s) to not holding-out in-season. I can't find it/them though.

Sorry. I was just talking about the difference between Jones and Peters. Had Peters come in and played at his 2007 level in 2008, the Bills likely would have given him $10M/year.

As for what Byrd will or won't do, I believe that there is/are major disincentive(s) to not holding-out in-season. I can't find it/them though.

Youre fine- just wanted to continue a clear demarcation between Byrd and peters. Very different spots here, both professionally and I think on a personality level.

compared to the $40-50million he would get in a long term contract with about $20-30million guaranteed I would say its small potatoes. Especially when you play a physical contact sport where injuries happen all the time. Why risk it? In the end, he will get paid anyway, so if your not broke and hurting for cash, why wouldn't you hold out for likely 6x more than if you signed the tag, played one season, and had a career ending injury.

But I agree, 7m is not pennies. Just compared to what he could be making its not worth it.

But with a guy like peters were talking a raise that would pay him more in 1 year than he would get in 3.

With Byrd your looking at the same (give or take) earning potential if he's tagged 2-3 times, just higher risk in case of injury.