Good article about Byrd agent Eugene Parker by Tim Graham

bbb

Youre fine- just wanted to continue a clear demarcation between Byrd and peters. Very different spots here, both professionally and I think on a personality level.

I don't know much about Byrd, but I thought Peters was professional and had a decent personality. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Youre fine- just wanted to continue a clear demarcation between Byrd and peters. Very different spots here, both professionally and I think on a personality level.

But with a guy like peters were talking a raise that would pay him more in 1 year than he would get in 3.

With Byrd your looking at the same (give or take) earning potential if he's tagged 2-3 times, just higher risk in case of injury.

if you were Byrd, and you were one of the best up and coming safeties in the league, would you settle for only a guaranteed $7m? When you are better than a guy that just settled a deal for $40m?

I know you could assume to just keep getting franchised, but this is Most likely Byrds biggest contract of his career and the money that will set him up for retirement after football.

Byrd will sign the tender, with the stip that he won't be franchised again.

if the Bills agree to that ill be so pissed I won't be able to take it. It means 100% that we lose him after this season for absolutely no compensation. It would make me feel like I did about the Sabres when they let Drury and Briere walk for absolutely nothing.

There is no guarantee Byrd even wants to play in Buffalo and the hard ball may just be a way to force a trade to a team for less than the 'required' picks.

Some teams may be willing to pay him more if cost in draft picks is less.

There is no guarantee Byrd even wants to play in Buffalo and the hard ball may just be a way to force a trade to a team for less than the 'required' picks.

Some teams may be willing to pay him more if cost in draft picks is less.

well said. But the people that will disagree with you, will just say that they know Byrd. He wants to stay in Buffalo. Loves it here. Is all about the team and the city. While knowing nothing of the situation at all.

if you were Byrd, and you were one of the best up and coming safeties in the league, would you settle for only a guaranteed $7m? When you are better than a guy that just settled a deal for $40m?

I know you could assume to just keep getting franchised, but this is Most likely Byrds biggest contract of his career and the money that will set him up for retirement after football.

if the Bills agree to that ill be so pissed I won't be able to take it. It means 100% that we lose him after this season for absolutely no compensation. It would make me feel like I did about the Sabres when they let Drury and Briere walk for absolutely nothing.

Your mixing numbers innappropriately. You can't put guaranteed for a year next to max value of a long term.

Byrd, if he plays healthy seasons won't be leaving money on the table. That's wildly different than a player putting a season (or 2) in below market value when they will never see that earning potential again.

If byrds only concern is losing guaranteed dollars in case of injury, he'd be better off holding out last offseason instead of risking injury before he ever got a substantial pay day.

Ill again mention Parker's client Walter jones playing 3 consecutive years under the franchise tag as it not being as cut and dry that he wont play under the tag as you portray.

There are more layers to this than you are acknowledging.

I think they don't want to pay a safety big bucks.

I hope that's exactly the Bills position, cause that's asinine money for a safety. I'm all for paying a stud front 7 guy big money, but if we can go to Super Bowls with Mark "last one to come into the picture during the replay of the touchdown pass" Kelso, then we can surely rely on Pettine to develop one of our younger players into an adequate replacement. Best of luck elsewhere, Jairus.

I hope that's exactly the Bills position, cause that's asinine money for a safety. I'm all for paying a stud front 7 guy big money, but if we can go to Super Bowls with Mark "last one to come into the picture during the replay of the touchdown pass" Kelso, then we can surely rely on Pettine to develop one of our younger players into an adequate replacement. Best of luck elsewhere, Jairus.

I have to ask for the 2nd time today, what's (asinine) money? It seems that nobody knows what he's asking for.............I'm willing to bet the Bills are willing to make him the highest paid safety, and I think they should..........But, I have the feeling Parker is asking for even more.

Your mixing numbers innappropriately. You can't put guaranteed for a year next to max value of a long term.

Byrd, if he plays healthy seasons won't be leaving money on the table. That's wildly different than a player putting a season (or 2) in below market value when they will never see that earning potential again.

If byrds only concern is losing guaranteed dollars in case of injury, he'd be better off holding out last offseason instead of risking injury before he ever got a substantial pay day.

Ill again mention Parker's client Walter jones playing 3 consecutive years under the franchise tag as it not being as cut and dry that he wont play under the tag as you portray.

There are more layers to this than you are acknowledging.

nome of what I say is fact. But at the same time, there isn't a single person on this website that has any real clue as to what Byrd will do and what he's thinking. At the same time we have absolutely no idea what the Bills are planning.

All of whats being talked about here are opinions of guys on a fan forum. My posts regarding this topic, regardless of what anyone here thinks, is what I feel will happen. All I'm trying to do is be the argumentative person here instead of being like everyone else that thinks Byrd has to sign his tender and show up. The truth is, he doesn't have to do anything. It all depends on how dead set he is on the following subjects:

Money

Length of contract

Playing for a winner

Not having to deal with a rookie HC

Not having to deal with a rookie GM

Not wanting to be in Buffalo

They are all questionable topics that none of us know how Byrd feels about any of this.

Everyone can believe what they want on the topic, I'm under the belief that Byrd will hold out throughout all of training camp and pre season. Will be traded within a few weeks of the season starting. My opinion isn't the majority and it goes against what everyone else wants but I still feel strongly towards it. In the end, its a win win for me. If he's traded, I'm proved right and I look like a genius, if I'm wrong and he's signed long term or plays his tag for the year, we keep him, at least for now. and I absolutely love having Byrd on this team and feel he's the best defender we have on this team.

I have to ask for the 2nd time today, what's (asinine) money? It seems that nobody knows what he's asking for.............I'm willing to bet the Bills are willing to make him the highest paid safety, and I think they should..........But, I have the feeling Parker is asking for even more.

i heard a rumor today that Byrd was asking for $2m/year more than Goldson. I wouldn't put any truth to this rumor because I have absolutely no idea where this person came up with this number, but in all fairness, I have not heard any numbers thrown out at all in this while process anywhere.

Based on what I've read, Goldson is the frame of reference, so anything in that ballpark is just not worth it for a free safety, IMO. It just goes against the way I feel is how a defense should be built, and that's from the lines backward. And when you get to the "backward", the bulk of the money should go to the corners, not the safeties. Once in a while you have a legit playmaking difference maker like a Troy Polamalu or an Ed Reed from a few years ago. I just don't see Byrd in that league, but what do I know...

And here is a quote from parker in the Tim Graham article that is absolute BULLCRAP..."“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

The Bills weren't paying him "substantially less" than his market value because he wasn't AVAILABLE to the market. He was under contract, and while that contract is in effect, THAT is the value of that player. When free agency hits then this guy can go on and on about market value and not accepting less than what a player is worth, but his market value is specific ONLY to the period of time when in fact he's actually available to the market. Any player's value will fluctuate year to year, and just because he earns a pro bowl nod one season doesn't mean he will play up to that standard the next. When you sign a contract, your EXACT value is established, and in order for that to be adjusted it takes both parties to agree to it.

Based on what I've read, Goldson is the frame of reference, so anything in that ballpark is just not worth it for a free safety, IMO. It just goes against the way I feel is how a defense should be built, and that's from the lines backward. And when you get to the "backward", the bulk of the money should go to the corners, not the safeties. Once in a while you have a legit playmaking difference maker like a Troy Polamalu or an Ed Reed from a few years ago. I just don't see Byrd in that league, but what do I know...

And here is a quote from parker in the Tim Graham article that is absolute BULLCRAP..."“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

The Bills weren't paying him "substantially less" than his market value because he wasn't AVAILABLE to the market. He was under contract, and while that contract is in effect, THAT is the value of that player. When free agency hits then this guy can go on and on about market value and not accepting less than what a player is worth, but his market value is specific ONLY to the period of time when in fact he's actually available to the market. Any player's value will fluctuate year to year, and just because he earns a pro bowl nod one season doesn't mean he will play up to that standard the next. When you sign a contract, your EXACT value is established, and in order for that to be adjusted it takes both parties to agree to it.

Right but when your market value is set by a slotted draft where his ability to test the market is restricted, its a legit thing to say that the system kept him from pursuing pay in line with his value.

He signed a rookie contract because he had no other choice to enter the league. Lets not act like Parker is waaaay out in left field acknowledging the bills got a steal the last couple years. The reason drafting well creates winners is you end up with probowlers playing for pennies when you do it right.

Right but when your market value is set by a slotted draft where his ability to test the market is restricted, its a legit thing to say that the system kept him from pursuing pay in line with his value.

He signed a rookie contract because he had no other choice to enter the league. Lets not act like Parker is waaaay out in left field acknowledging the bills got a steal the last couple years. The reason drafting well creates winners is you end up with probowlers playing for pennies when you do it right.

I'm on record plenty of times in support of the players doing whatever they have to do in order to earn their money. These guys put their health on the line for our entertainment and I typically side with them every time there is some sort of negotiation. But you dont get to just pick and choose the points at which your market value is established. Byrd was paid as a 2nd round draft pick and he had four years under contract to establish his worth for when he was allowed to become a free agent. That time is now...it wasn't his rookie year, or his second year, or whatever. Terms were set up front, those terms have expired, and now Jairus can make a splash.

If Goldson is indeed what Parker wants for Byrd, then I would be all for paying that. The Bills have had so few playmakers that I don't care what position it's coming from, we can't let another one go..............I think he's worth highest paid safety right now. If Parker is looking for more than that, that's where I think he's unreasonable.

well said. But the people that will disagree with you, will just say that they know Byrd. He wants to stay in Buffalo. Loves it here. Is all about the team and the city. While knowing nothing of the situation at all.

Actually there is no solid proof as to what Byrd really wants to do. I don't believe there is any report to suggest that Byrd wants to leave the Bills for some other team or vice versa. IMHO, Byrd is simply looking for the best deal for him and his family.

Did you see the words "I think" in my sentence? It obviously means that I don't have a link readily available.

But, I found one now:

Byrd recently finished a four-year rookie deal and was franchised by the team. He has a one-year offer for $6.916 million he can sign, but both he and the Bills want a long-term deal.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/06/jason-peters-revisited-bills-agent-say-trade-wont-affect-jairus-byrd.html

I know that if Byrd signs his offer sheet and comes in the Bills can franchise him again next season with a 10% raise, but what happens if he doesn't sign the offer sheet?

Then he doesn't accrue a year in the league and he could be franchised again for two more years...he needs to sign and show up by week 10 or something like that for the season to count. See Patriots- Logan Mankins

Did you see the words "I think" in my sentence? It obviously means that I don't have a link readily available.

But, I found one now:

Byrd recently finished a four-year rookie deal and was franchised by the team. He has a one-year offer for $6.916 million he can sign, but both he and the Bills want a long-term deal.

http://blogs.buffalo...airus-byrd.html

Still no peep from Byrd about wanting a long term deal with the Bills.