Bills have $19M in cap space

Unless Byrd doesn't want to be here or has totally absurd demands - no, I don't think they are thinking about letting him go unless he gives them no choice.

holding out throughout workouts and ore season would give them almost no choice. It would tell the coaching staff that Byrd thinks he's higher than the team goal. To the GM that he wants money more than being a Bill.

IMO, that is very likely going to happen and the FO will have no choice but to trade him to the highest bidder. At that time the teams of the league will lowball the Bills and we will have no choice but to accept a 2nd and a mid rounder.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holding out throughout workouts and ore season would give them almost no choice. It would tell the coaching staff that Byrd thinks he's higher than the team goal. To the GM that he wants money more than being a Bill.

IMO, that is very likely going to happen and the FO will have no choice but to trade him to the highest bidder. At that time the teams of the league will lowball the Bills and we will have no choice but to accept a 2nd and a mid rounder.

Agree to disagree

Or atleast that both of us are taking guesses ultimately

not true sir.

Do you know for sure?

Byrd wants a long term deal. His agent has played hard ball before with the Bills and won.

We have a new GM who is trying to make his team better, but at the same time not making ridiculous contracts when there are already tons of needs still to be addressed.

At the same time, we have a new head coach that is trying to instill a team and a concept that no single man is more important than the team.

A new DC that has proven to do more with less as a defensive whole and as at the FS position.

All of them together are also putting thier stamp on this team and Byrd was drafted by a team that is 4 years and 2 GMs, 2 HCs, and more than 3 DCs removed from when he was drafted.

Still think they won't even think about letting him go for a few draft picks?

While Parker is playing/played hardball, the Bills were the ones who held the cards to a large extent. They could have put the screws to Peters and made him play-out the final 2 years of his contract, but probably would have gotten a performance like he gave in 2008. Philly came calling and they made the deal.

In Byrd's case, they also hold the cards. They can franchise Byrd for 2 years at well under market value. The difference is he'll want to play well because the Bills might let him walk next year if he has a bad year, and teams might not be willing to pay him what he wanted/wants. So I don't see him being traded for less than a 1st, but I doubt any team will offer that anyway.

Thanks for the info. Isn't $10m of our current 19 actually rollover from last year, which is ineligible to be rolled into 2014? Minus about 1.5 for Manuel, we can rollover about 7.5m?

Then in 2014 we lose 4m due to the increase in Fitz' penalty, leaving about 3.5m, plus the 7.5 rollover, plus I believe the cap is expected to increase about 2m, equals in the neighborhood of $13.5m in total cap space for 2014. Or am I missing something?

Somebody's paying way more attention than I am!

Somebody's paying way more attention than I am!

LOL maybe too early to be following that closely. With this team it can be bad for my health to get too fired up.

I can't help jumping on the Kool-Aid wagon though. I believe in what this coaching staff is building, and I'm hooked.

"I get on my knees and prayyyy we won't get fooled again!"

Edited by J-Gun Boone

LOL maybe too early to be following that closely. With this team it can be bad for my health to get too fired up.

I can't help jumping on the Kool-Aid wagon though. I believe in what this coaching staff is building, and I'm hooked.

"I get on my knees and prayyyy we don't get fooled again!"

If you get "too fired up" and spontaneously combust, you can simply jump into the giant vat of Kool-Aid and you'll be saved.

:)

You keep saying that the Bills have to trade Byrd. Why? If he sits out the whole year he does not become an UFA next year. He will play for the Bills or not play at all this year. I do not think the Bills will trade him.

You keep saying that the Bills have to trade Byrd. Why? If he sits out the whole year he does not become an UFA next year. He will play for the Bills or not play at all this year. I do not think the Bills will trade him.

No. He can sit until game 10 and then suit up so that he does become an UFA next year. Of course the Bills can tag him again. The idea behind such a hold out would be as to why the Bills would pay 5M and 8M to a player who will play only a portion of the games.

No. He can sit until game 10 and then suit up so that he does become an UFA next year. Of course the Bills can tag him again. The idea behind such a hold out would be as to why the Bills would pay 5M and 8M to a player who will play only a portion of the games.

Forgot about week 10 thing. Thanks. He wouldn't get paid until week 10 so it will be considerably less than $5M-$8M

Edited by nucci

as I posted in one of the other Burd threads. If he sits out all the pre season games, and gives the appearance that he won't show up at all for reg season games, the Bills will feel they can't win the negotiations and will decide to feel the market for trades. At that point it will be known around the league that Byrd doesn't want to be here, and we won't offer him nearly as much as he is asking, and get lowballed on draft picks which we will then take because we have no other choice.

I'm guessing a 2nd and a 4th or 5th.

as I posted in one of the other Burd threads. If he sits out all the pre season games, and gives the appearance that he won't show up at all for reg season games, the Bills will feel they can't win the negotiations and will decide to feel the market for trades. At that point it will be known around the league that Byrd doesn't want to be here, and we won't offer him nearly as much as he is asking, and get lowballed on draft picks which we will then take because we have no other choice.

I'm guessing a 2nd and a 4th or 5th.

Depends on whether the Bills miss him on the field or not. If they don't, he's got no leverage and will be losing $431K/game missed.

Depends on whether the Bills miss him on the field or not. If they don't, he's got no leverage and will be losing $431K/game missed.

well, I think they will miss him but not enough to pay him 8-9m/yr. Pettine will have the new guys ready as they can be for new guys.

Byrd would be giving up money each game he sits out. True. But he's likely not dead broke right now. He doesn't want to risk getting I hired without a king term deal and guaranteed money. He also knows that he will be paid at some point.

Just my opinion man, but I don't think he plays another down as a Bill.

well, I think they will miss him but not enough to pay him 8-9m/yr. Pettine will have the new guys ready as they can be for new guys.

Byrd would be giving up money each game he sits out. True. But he's likely not dead broke right now. He doesn't want to risk getting I hired without a king term deal and guaranteed money. He also knows that he will be paid at some point.

He can sit out until week 10 and then get paid but I seriously doubt he'd see the field in the last 6 weeks as anything other than a reserve seeing as he'd be lost in the new system. It would ultimately amount to sitting out the entire year and players who sit out the entire year don't hit FA pay dirt the following season.

Byrd pretty much has no choice but to show up once spring training rolls around because he needs to get in games and prove to the rest of the league (or the Bills for that matter) that he's worth big cash. The Bills don't need to trade Byrd unless they feel they got the right deal or it's just becoming too much of a distraction and they'd rather it be over with.

All that being said I doubt it comes to this. Byrd will be signed at some point before the season starts.

The thing is, if he's quibbling about and extra $1M/year and sits out half the season, that's about $3.5M right there. It would be dumb for him to sit out any length of time.

But you may be right that he's played his last down as a Bill. If that's true, I hope they get some good picks for him.

He can sit out until week 10 and then get paid but I seriously doubt he'd see the field in the last 6 weeks as anything other than a reserve seeing as he'd be lost in the new system. It would ultimately amount to sitting out the entire year and players who sit out the entire year don't hit FA pay dirt the following season.

Byrd pretty much has no choice but to show up once spring training rolls around because he needs to get in games and prove to the rest of the league (or the Bills for that matter) that he's worth big cash. The Bills don't need to trade Byrd unless they feel they got the right deal or it's just becoming too much of a distraction and they'd rather it be over with.

All that being said I doubt it comes to this. Byrd will be signed at some point before the season starts.

i will put money on it that if he doesn't get a long term deal he will not be there for spring training. Name the price and you've got a bet. As I already said, players sit out almost every season around the league. You better believe that if Burd doesn't get a long term deal, he won't be here until at least a few days before the season starts.

In my opinion, if it goes that far and we worry that he ever shows up, like Peters a few seasons ago, we will find a reading partner and Byrd will be gone.