Bills have $19M in cap space

While it's a good thing not to over pay for players, it is not a good thing by it self but only if that money saved is reused for players of a better value,the non-signing of Levitre should be judged by who the Bills retain or acquire in his stead.

True and the off-season is far from over. A lot of cuts happen post-June 1st because of cap considerations. And guys like Moore, who Kirby Jackson above and others (myself included) have been saying would be good additions but who likely have been asking for more than anyone wants to pay, may see their value drop precipitously if good players at their positions become available.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Spiller will get out of Buffalo and find another team for his big payday-a team that can actually win and use him right.

Like what Byrd might be doing. Im sure CJ is watching how that plays out

The Bills have real needs this year. They need to sign some vet FAs to fill at least the CB and OG positions. TE might also be a definite need if Chandler can't get to 100%. Sign Byrd for $6M. Sign Manuel for 5 yrs at about $1.75M per year or whatever the going rate is and then snap up some of the vets that will inevitably be released after June 1st.

I believe the Bills have offered Byrd $7 mil but he wants $9 mil. They should settle at $8 mil

Byrd, Wood and Spiller being the main topics of this thread, I suspect its realistic we lose one or two of those guys. UNLESS we improve significantly this year, to the point where these guys actively want to play here because we are winners.

Said above about Spiller's contract not being up until 2016, though, gives us a couple of years to draft a RB to take over, just in case we don't retain him. Personally, I hope we keep all three. I like when we draft, and keep our talents. :)

Regarding moves this year? Ideally I'd like to see Byrd extended, and a solid FA OL backup signed, and hopefully still have enough to push into next year's budget.

$8M/year is the max I'd offer.

even though I think Byrd is worth that much, I wouldn't pay it with all the needs and holes we have. He's a safety. Not a corner. Not a WR. Not a QB. Not a pass rusher. Not a LT.

even though I think Byrd is worth that much, I wouldn't pay it with all the needs and holes we have. He's a safety. Not a corner. Not a WR. Not a QB. Not a pass rusher. Not a LT.

Dashon Goldson signed a deal with the Bucs for $8.25M/year, and he was 1st team All-Pro. Byrd was 2nd team. That's why I'd offer him $8M/year.

okay. counter offer ?

I would pay 8 for him. with some incentives to get all of that . Eugene probably has other ideas :sick:

Also i am not ready to give Wood anything in a hurry till i see him have a healthy streak.

As far as what we do with the hole left by Levitre going to the Titans is going to be rather telling of our FO mindset as mentioned smartly by a keen poster above .

I would like a brandon moore for one-2 year deal . if i could get him at a price drop from whatever has kept him from being picked up thus far. But we shall see about the guard postion . I am very interested in what Marrone Whaley/Nix decide.

so of that 19MM we still have to take care of EJ & Byrd? the rest can be used on FA? of does that 19MM not take into account what we have already agreed to our other draft picks?

EJ is limited by the NFL contract. So he will not cost more than 2 Mill. Byrd already counts about 7 Mill of the cap, so even a signing bonus spread over 3 or 4 years and up to 9 Million a year only adds 3 to 4 max to the cost this year to sign him to a long term contract. That still leaves over 12 Mill in cap space this year. We do need a vet guard and a vet CB. I'm still not comfortable with our LB situation. A decent vet TE on a short contract would be a nice addition, since I doubt Chandler will play the first 1/4 to 1/2 this season. Especially if we start EJ early in the year, we need to help him with a decent TE and a reliable guard to protect him. We don't need to create another Captain Checkdown from too many avoidable hits too early in his career so he is always worried and hearing imaginary footsteps bearing down on him. Why are we not trying to sign Moore? He can't want too much that we could not afford on a short term contract.

Edited by simpleman

Dashon Goldson signed a deal with the Bucs for $8.25M/year, and he was 1st team All-Pro. Byrd was 2nd team. That's why I'd offer him $8M/year.

Goldson is two years older, has four less INTs and four less fumble recoveries in playing 19 more games than Byrd.

EJ is limited by the NFL contract. So he will not cost more than 2 Mill. Byrd already counts about 7 Mill of the cap, so even a signing bonus spread over 3 or 4 years and up to 9 Million a year only adds 3 to 4 max to the cost this year to sign him to a long term contract. That still leaves over 12 Mill in cap space this year. We do need a vet guard and a vet CB. I'm still not comfortable with our LB situation. A decent vet TE on a short contract would be a nice addition, since I doubt Chandler will play the first 1/4 to 1/2 this season. Especially if we start EJ early in the year, we need to help him with a decent TE and a reliable guard to protect him. We don't need to create another Captain Checkdown from too many avoidable hits too early in his career so he is always worried and hearing imaginary footsteps bearing down on him. Why are we not trying to sign Moore? He can't want too much that we could not afford on a short term contract.

After seeing Chandler running routes and catching passes at OTA's, I'm predicting he's ready for the start of training camp, much less the season. Another stud TE would be nice, but they're in short supply so forget that. An OG would be nice, and I'm thinking Legursky might be the guy. At LB, maybe another ILB, but that's it since there is a lot of talent at OLB.

Goldson is two years older, has four less INTs and four less fumble recoveries in playing 19 more games than Byrd.

True. I'd probably add incentives to push the yearly salary higher and consider a voidable year.

i still wouldn't offer it if we had $40m in cap space. He's not worth it as a safety for us right now. We have too many needs and too many holes.

I agree that Byrd is worth that much to the right team, but were not the right team.

okay. counter offer ?

I would pay 8 for him. with some incentives to get all of that . Eugene probably has other ideas :sick:

Also i am not ready to give Wood anything in a hurry till i see him have a healthy streak.

As far as what we do with the hole left by Levitre going to the Titans is going to be rather telling of our FO mindset as mentioned smartly by a keen poster above .

I would like a brandon moore for one-2 year deal . if i could get him at a price drop from whatever has kept him from being picked up thus far. But we shall see about the guard postion . I am very interested in what Marrone Whaley/Nix decide.

i don't think Wood is signed either IMO. I believe he'll be gone at the end of this season as well. Unless he takes a HUGE hometown discount. And that's only if he lasts the entire season without getting injured. Which is a huge question of that's even possible.

So if he makes it through healthy, we offer him a lowball offer that he likely doesn't accept.

If he gets injured again (likely) we don't offer him anything because we can't count on him for a season and the new FO goes another way.

As with my feelings toward Byrd, I also believe Wood is worth whatever he would be asking for. But again, not for this team, not right now.

New coaching staff, new GM, new chance to being in their own guys and teach them their own philosophies.

i still wouldn't offer it if we had $40m in cap space. He's not worth it as a safety for us right now. We have too many needs and too many holes.

I agree that Byrd is worth that much to the right team, but were not the right team.

Maybe not this year, but who knows about next year or the year after? Maybe have him play under the franchise tag this year +/- next year and then reassess?

i don't think Wood is signed either IMO. I believe he'll be gone at the end of this season as well. Unless he takes a HUGE hometown discount. And that's only if he lasts the entire season without getting injured. Which is a huge question of that's even possible.

So if he makes it through healthy, we offer him a lowball offer that he likely doesn't accept.

If he gets injured again (likely) we don't offer him anything because we can't count on him for a season and the new FO goes another way.

As with my feelings toward Byrd, I also believe Wood is worth whatever he would be asking for. But again, not for this team, not right now.

New coaching staff, new GM, new chance to being in their own guys and teach them their own philosophies.

Depends on what Wood wants in salary. He hasn't stayed healthy for a whole season and like Levitre, hasn't even made a token Pro Bowl appearance, so making him one of the highest-paid OC, without injury clauses, wouldn't be smart.

Do you believe your posts are bringing anything constructive or conversation-worthy to the table?

Although your posts almost never bring anything contstructive to a conversation.........in this case I gotta' agree with you.

Worrying about CJ Spiller's contract is pointless.

First of all, he came into the league at 23, not the usual 20-22 year-old-early-declaration type first round RB.

He will be entering his 28 year old season when his contract expires. The chart says that that is the precipice of the end of the high production years for a RB.

Anybody that follows the NFL also knows that big name RB's don't change teams for big $ in free agency anymore. And ESPECIALLY not if they are pushing 30.

The RB's that get big contracts in their 26-28 year old years are getting "thank you" contracts from their organization.......like Arian Foster for example. The Texans don't actually expect him to play out that deal.

Teams just aren't built around RB's anymore. If the Bills squeeze a couple big seasons out of CJ before his contract is up that's great but this isn't a franchise QB or DE we are talking about here. You don't want big money tied up in a 30 year old RB.

If CJ actually holds up as a bell-cow type back in his first shot at it this year it would be wise of him and his agent to get an extension done that would pay CJ well. The Bills would have all the leverage in that situation. Hardly anything to worry about.

Maybe not this year, but who knows about next year or the year after? Maybe have him play under the franchise tag this year +/- next year and then reassess?

Depends on what Wood wants in salary. He hasn't stayed healthy for a whole season and like Levitre, hasn't even made a token Pro Bowl appearance, so making him one of the highest-paid OC, without injury clauses, wouldn't be smart.

I know everyone here will just say that Byrd has no other option but to sign his tag and play the year under the tag. I disagree. I believe he holds out, and the Bills FO will feel like they will have to trade him. At that point, every team in the league will know we are having trouble keeping him here and we will receive no more than a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th to go with it for Byrds rights.

As far as Wood, I don't think it's as clear cut as what he will be asking for. It will most likely come down to him being injured too often and the FO along with Marrone and his expertise being a former NFL Linemen, and they won't offer Wood a contract.

I also feel that we are all worried about the loss of Levitre for nothing. This season,are one and his expertise on the OLine will show that we Didnt need him anyway. Doug and Co. will take an almost unknown and manage to mold him into a standout LG. we already have our starter on the roster. Who it is, I have no idea, but they have someone in mind. It might even be Sanders, or Pears with Hairston moving to RT full time. Or maybe Glenn swinging I to the LG spot and Hairston and Pears as the Tackles.

I know I'm not in the majority and not well liked by this opinion, but I'm marking it down now. I guess well all see when the time comes.

And for the record, I hope I'm wrong about all this (except finding our LG) and we keep both Burd and Wood.