Bills have $19M in cap space

I know everyone here will just say that Byrd has no other option but to sign his tag and play the year under the tag. I disagree. I believe he holds out, and the Bills FO will feel like they will have to trade him. At that point, every team in the league will know we are having trouble keeping him here and we will receive no more than a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th to go with it for Byrds rights.

As far as Wood, I don't think it's as clear cut as what he will be asking for. It will most likely come down to him being injured too often and the FO along with Marrone and his expertise being a former NFL Linemen, and they won't offer Wood a contract.

I also feel that we are all worried about the loss of Levitre for nothing. This season,are one and his expertise on the OLine will show that we Didnt need him anyway. Doug and Co. will take an almost unknown and manage to mold him into a standout LG. we already have our starter on the roster. Who it is, I have no idea, but they have someone in mind. It might even be Sanders, or Pears with Hairston moving to RT full time. Or maybe Glenn swinging I to the LG spot and Hairston and Pears as the Tackles.

I know I'm not in the majority and not well liked by this opinion, but I'm marking it down now. I guess well all see when the time comes.

And for the record, I hope I'm wrong about all this (except finding our LG) and we keep both Burd and Wood.

Byrd will not sit out regular season games. If he does, he's an idiot.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd will not sit out regular season games. If he does, he's an idiot.

he doesn't have to. He just has to hold out through pre season games. Just like Peters did, and the FO will decide to make a deal for him.

I think Byrd will get signed long term and this board will go nuts because he will be a little overpaid. It will be like when Flacco became the highest paid QB. He is good but not the best. Byrd is closer to being the best safety than Flacco to the best QB. It is all about timing and Byrd will be the highest paid safety in the NFL when the season starts.

I think Byrd will get signed long term and this board will go nuts because he will be a little overpaid. It will be like when Flacco became the highest paid QB. He is good but not the best. Byrd is closer to being the best safety than Flacco to the best QB. It is all about timing and Byrd will be the highest paid safety in the NFL when the season starts.

Byrd is absolutely worthy of being paid like the highest paid safety in the league. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that we sign him to anywhere near that big of a contract.

Sitting out even pre-season games would be foolish for Byrd, considering it's a new defense with new terminology (he doesn't have the playbook to study while he's out). Peters took a chance because it was still the same offense and terminology. And even though he had a poor 2008, the Eagles were willing to do a deal. Will any team pony up a 1st AND $9M/year for Byrd, especially if he has a bad year this year? I doubt it.

I know everyone here will just say that Byrd has no other option but to sign his tag and play the year under the tag. I disagree. I believe he holds out, and the Bills FO will feel like they will have to trade him. At that point, every team in the league will know we are having trouble keeping him here and we will receive no more than a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th to go with it for Byrds rights.

He can hold out. But on July 15, if no new deal has been reached, he is playing under the tag and any team that wants him will have to cough up 2 first round picks for him. Forget it.

He will sign the tender because he wants to get paid. If he plays well this year, he punches his ticket and tests the market next year.

Byrd is absolutely worthy of being paid like the highest paid safety in the league. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that we sign him to anywhere near that big of a contract.

The question is "is a safety worth $9, or even 8M/year?"

He can hold out. But on July 15, if no new deal has been reached, he is playing under the tag and any team that wants him will have to cough up 2 first round picks for him. Forget it.

He will sign the tender because he wants to get paid. If he plays well this year, he punches his ticket and tests the market next year.

The 2-1st rounders is negotiable. And the Bills can franchise him again next year.

I just think that the Bills realize his importance and when push comes to shove will pay him.

I just think that the Bills realize his importance and when push comes to shove will pay him.

OK, name the safeties for the Jets the past few years.

Perhaps, but he can't avoid the tag this year.

I wasn't saying he could, and I don't think mrags was either. Just that Byrd would holdout into the season and force the Bills to give him what he wants, which I disagree with.

Sitting out even pre-season games would be foolish for Byrd, considering it's a new defense with new terminology (he doesn't have the playbook to study while he's out). Peters took a chance because it was still the same offense and terminology. And even though he had a poor 2008, the Eagles were willing to do a deal. Will any team pony up a 1st AND $9M/year for Byrd, especially if he has a bad year this year? I doubt it.

Unless reported otherwise, I'd assume he has the playbook

I wasn't saying he could, and I don't think mrags was either. Just that Byrd would holdout into the season and force the Bills to give him what he wants, which I disagree with.

There is no way the Bills would let him go, tagged, for a 2nd and a 4th. They know he wouldn't miss a game.

Sir you seem overly confident with this statement. Now i realize that Ralph has long been perceived as a pinch penny but..

Why oh why is there not a snowballs chance in hell we sign him to something similar to that Gholston fellow ?

They give out the playbook when a player first reports, on an iPad. I doubt Byrd has it.

not true sir.

Byrd, Wood and Spiller being the main topics of this thread, I suspect its realistic we lose one or two of those guys. UNLESS we improve significantly this year, to the point where these guys actively want to play here because we are winners.

Wood is the anchor of this OL and will be locked up before end of this season.

Said above about Spiller's contract not being up until 2016, though, gives us a couple of years to draft a RB to take over, just in case we don't retain him. Personally, I hope we keep all three. I like when we draft, and keep our talents. :)

Regarding moves this year? Ideally I'd like to see Byrd extended, and a solid FA OL backup signed, and hopefully still have enough to push into next year's budget.

Spiller is (and will be) the heart and soul of this team for the next few years. He is the most talented player on this team. It would be really silly for the Bills to trade him or lose him to FA without any good compensation.

It's an interesting question. Unsigned rookie quarterback who is working out with the team is one thing.

An unsigned veteran is a bit of a different situation.

Right - but that the vet is expected to play heavy snaps week 1. There's almost nothing to lose sharing the playbook with him unless you think he's going to be traded to NE, and even then playbooks aren't super top secret like we sometimes portray. Especially being the guy likely to be making coverage adjustments, he should (and likely does) have one in hand.

Byrd wants a long term deal. His agent has played hard ball before with the Bills and won.

We have a new GM who is trying to make his team better, but at the same time not making ridiculous contracts when there are already tons of needs still to be addressed.

At the same time, we have a new head coach that is trying to instill a team and a concept that no single man is more important than the team.

A new DC that has proven to do more with less as a defensive whole and as at the FS position.

All of them together are also putting thier stamp on this team and Byrd was drafted by a team that is 4 years and 2 GMs, 2 HCs, and more than 3 DCs removed from when he was drafted.

Still think they won't even think about letting him go for a few draft picks?

Smith, Bell, Leonard, Landry are the guys that come to mind. I am not sure what your point is? Byrd IMO is a far superior talent to any of those guys. They had a lot of different guys try to rush the passer too but I would assume that they don't think that Calvin Pace and Mario Williams are interchangeable. You pay top end talents and you let "good" players (ie Levitre, Mike Wallace, Ellerbe etc...) get overpaid by someone else.

Byrd wants a long term deal. His agent has played hard ball before with the Bills and won.

We have a new GM who is trying to make his team better, but at the same time not making ridiculous contracts when there are already tons of needs still to be addressed.

At the same time, we have a new head coach that is trying to instill a team and a concept that no single man is more important than the team.

A new DC that has proven to do more with less as a defensive whole and as at the FS position.

All of them together are also putting thier stamp on this team and Byrd was drafted by a team that is 4 years and 2 GMs, 2 HCs, and more than 3 DCs removed from when he was drafted.

Still think they won't even think about letting him go for a few draft picks?

Unless Byrd doesn't want to be here or has totally absurd demands - no, I don't think they are thinking about letting him go unless he gives them no choice.