Whaley named Bills GM

he had to go out and make two substantial hires from outside organizations to fill those positions. Obviously the team wanted to wait until they did to make the announcement.

In all likelihood, it's as simple as that.

The posters promoting the conspiracy theories are probably light years removed from any hiring responsibility and never gave a thought to that aspect of the GM position...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me...Im a marketer and PR guy. If I "lie", both me and my company are breaking the law. Ever hear of truth in advertising laws? Puffery laws? Go learn something.

I know right ? marketing is about analyzing data, determining how to position your product, understand your customer and then manipulating reality in a concerted messaging effort to espouse the right brand image. Not lying... Duh

No man.... He was hired as GM in training and Nix's eventual successor. Buddy hired him as his own replacement. Russ may have accelerated the transition, but it was clearly the plan the day they brought him in.

Are you conjecturing from the outside like I was or stating fact as a person in the know?

The beat writers' job will be tougher. Nix was relatively open and chatty while Whaley mostly sticks to his message. You could ask Doug three different questions and not get much more than "it takes a commitment from top to bottom, we're excited." I don't envy those trying to get quotes out of him, he doesn't budge.

Wow. I can't believe I read through this whole f***ing thread and didn't gain an iota of perspective. (Actually I can believe it, because I'm a regular reader.) Thanks people. What a waste of my f***ing tme.

Wow. I can't believe I read through this whole f***ing thread and didn't gain an iota of perspective. (Actually I can believe it, because I'm a regular reader.) Thanks people. What a waste of my f***ing tme.

If you were a good guy and good poster you would know all of the code words and hidden messages within the previous 160 or so posts where a filthy wealth of insider knowledge, tremendous illumination, and searing analysis is virtually everywhere. This was one of the best threads I have ever read in fact. Too bad you're a dick because you would have thought it was awesome like most of us here.

Happy to see Doug get the position and here's to a new era of success for the organization!

Disappointed that Kryk decided to put his own conjecture mid Whaley quote in the sun article re: Whaley putting names up on board and Nix taking them off.

I've been watching since 1969! But I also know judging people strictly by wins and losses is stupid. It's a team game with a million things that can go right or wrong. In the end the bad organizations lose more than win, but to single out one player, coach or manager and rate them based on wins/loses is laughable.

PTR

'

I'd agree with this for everybody but the GM. The buck stops there as he's hired/selected all the coaches, players and scouts that comprise the organization.

The beat writers' job will be tougher. Nix was relatively open and chatty while Whaley mostly sticks to his message. You could ask Doug three different questions and not get much more than "it takes a commitment from top to bottom, we're excited." I don't envy those trying to get quotes out of him, he doesn't budge.

That's for sure. It was stunning. I never thought someone could make Russ Brandon look like a paragon of authenticity. Never heard such dense corporate-speak in my life.

Not saying either guy is inauthentic as a human - from all accounts they are both good guys. I'm just talking about their approaches to public communication.

I hope Whaley does well, and I'm sure he is as hard working and likable as everyone says. But press conferences are going to be painful. From that respect, I miss Buddy already.

I don't care if they hire the janitor to be the next GM, I just want wins. But until then, yes I'll be cynical. Have you not been watching for the last 13 years?

You say cynical but in a purer sense, you could say skeptical.

And you would be justified.

Wow is right.

There have been so many good, intelligent posts in this discussion (even posts with opposing viewpoints; even posts by posters I don't really like) that I'm amazed at your post.

To see someone call this discussion "a waste of my f***ing time is a wow, for sure.

'

I'd agree with this for everybody but the GM. The buck stops there as he's hired/selected all the coaches, players and scouts that comprise the organization.

In our case, it seems, the President/CEO has a significant say in the hiring process. We'll see if it's for better or worse.

I hope Whaley does well, and I'm sure he is as hard working and likable as everyone says. But press conferences are going to be painful.

I look forward to the day when the product on the field makes those press conferences irrelevant.

I look forward to the day when the product on the field makes those press conferences irrelevant.

Good point. This past decade, the drafts, the player signings, the coaching/admin changes, and the press conferences surrounding them have been the most exciting moments for this franchise. Sadly I've gotten used to it and now seem to confuse those things with football itself. I would love to have my brain re-washed by actual football highlights. Here's hoping Whaley and Marrone are the guys to make that happen.

I work with a guy (actually he's the one who hired me 12 years ago) who just sent me a text telling me he talked to Whaley yesterday. He played ball at Pitt and Whaley was s good friend of his. I asked if he had any insight and all he could tell me was Whaley was always one of the smarter guys around.

Bingo...give that man a cigar. Win a few games and I'll be a fan. Nix and Gailey were a dismal pair giving us a dismal team. Whaley and Marrone will hopefully turn that around.

Bingo...give that man a cigar. Win a few games and I'll be a fan. Nix and Gailey were a dismal pair giving us a dismal team. Whaley and Marrone will hopefully turn that around.

...beginning this year with the team Nix assembled.