I Like Doug, but did he pay attention during English class?

Quoted on Buffalobills.com, when referring to the need to institute blitz packages as early as OTA's, here is what the head-coach of the Bills said:

“Everyone in OTAs now is doing it,” said head coach Doug Marrone. “We have to get our players ready. You think about how training from an offensive standpoint, we’re getting the technique correct and then you’re going forward and working on those technique and fundamentals. Then for the quarterback he’s going to throw a route versus air. Then the next point is decision making. So the faster we can get to situations where is it zone, or is it pressure? Now they have to make decisions on the field and the better they’ll become and the better the evaluation for us.”

Whew. I can't follow that. We could be in for some painful post-game press conferences. But, I suppose that doesn't really matter. If he wins, I could care less whether he puts a grammatical sentence together.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted on Buffalobills.com, when referring to the need to institute blitz packages as early as OTA's, here is what the head-coach of the Bills said:

“Everyone in OTAs now is doing it,” said head coach Doug Marrone. “We have to get our players ready. You think about how training from an offensive standpoint, we’re getting the technique correct and then you’re going forward and working on those technique and fundamentals. Then for the quarterback he’s going to throw a route versus air. Then the next point is decision making. So the faster we can get to situations where is it zone, or is it pressure? Now they have to make decisions on the field and the better they’ll become and the better the evaluation for us.”

Whew. I can't follow that. We could be in for some painful post-game press conferences. But, I suppose that doesn't really matter. If he wins, I could care less whether he puts a grammatical sentence together.

Can't all be as prophetic as Marv....

That's nothing. A dumbass in my office left a sign on her desk to dissuade others from taking something. What did it say, you ask? "THIS DO NOT BELONGS TO YOU". Yes, it was typed in all caps and, yes, it's really true. It's hard to speak English in America...

Since we're into grammar and all:

Quoted on Buffalobills.com, when referring to the need to institute blitz packages as early as OTA's, OTAs, here is what the head-coach head coach of the Bills said:

Fixed. OTAs -- not a possessive or a contraction. Head coach is not hyphenated.

And...

Whew. I can't follow that. We could be in for some painful post-game press conferences. But, I suppose that doesn't really matter. If he wins, I could couldn't care less whether if he puts a grammatical sentence together.

You're saying you actually care. And whether x or y. You have no y. Something has to give.

Further, it'll be a long season with two spaces between each of your sentences. One space is accepted practice in business writing, the Internet and most of civilized society.

Even Marone knows that.

:flirt:

Quoted on Buffalobills.com, when referring to the need to institute blitz packages as early as OTA's, OTAs, here is what the head-coach head coach of the Bills said:

And...

Whew. I can't follow that. We could be in for some painful post-game press conferences. But, I suppose that doesn't really matter. If he wins, I could couldn't care less whether if he puts a grammatical sentence together.

You're saying you actually care. And whether x or y. You have no y. Something has to give.

Further, it'll be a long season with two spaces between each of your sentences. One space is accepted practice in business writing, the Internet and most of civilized society.

Even Marone knows that.

Guess that ends that. Good work.

If Marrone communicates well with his players, that's all that truly matters. I don't think he's functionally illiterate or anything- so who cares? Although I do miss the verbose erudition of Marv Levy. Ironically, I also miss his profanity-laced tirades on the sidelines.

Lol.. Think about it for a minute. I am a grammar and punctuation freak. When I am talking candidly, I never follow grammar or sentence structure as I do when writing. It's not even a second thought.. Spoken English is much different than written.

Edited by MarkinSanDiego

I know I don't know you but I this strange feeling you're annoying and have no friends.

Go Bills

The man can stand there with his mouth moving and words coming for long periods of time and say nothing. We win and it's cool. Otherwise in 2 years we'll be making fun of him and calling him a dumb ass and saying we knew all long it was a bad hire and wanting to hire the Chin (again).

Not for nothing, but I thought Chan Gailey was great to listen to...

Like " I don't know why it happened. We will have to see the tapes and figure it out. I don't have any answers for it yet". And it was like a broken record week in, week out.

And...

Even Marone knows that.

Well done Just in Atlanta! I should not have hyphenated head coach, nor should I have turned "I couldn't care less" into "I could care less." I certainly should not criticize other people's grammar if mine is not flawless. Having said that, I still don't quite understand what Marrone was saying.

Now, Just in Atlanta, I don't mind acknowledging my errors, but I expect you will do the same! Might I kindly suggest that when you are pointing out someone's hypocrisy, you should be extra careful not to fall under the same knife? For example, one of the finer points of English style is that an apostrophe is an accepted form of pluralization for an abbreviation! Yes, I know that might sound crazy, but it is true. Here is a short lesson on the matter from the NY Times Style Editor: http://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/faqs-on-style/

Oh, and while we are on the matter, the whole question of a single-space or double-space after a period is a matter of style and is quite under dispute. Here is a lovely little defense of the double-space in the Atlantic Monthly: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/01/you-can-have-my-double-space-when-you-pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands/69592/.

As for the question of "whether" or "if," you are not correct. The terms are interchangeable here. Have a look at this discussion of it: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/if-versus-whether.aspx

Finally, my friend, I would ask that you reread your wonderful examination of my grammatical hypocrisy, and you will notice little gems like the fragment at the outset of your remarks: "Since we're into grammar and all:" :flirt: