Miami writer: Stevie Johnson's a No. 2

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Ludicrous speed ? Beebe over Stevie ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this has already been posted -- it's a day old.

This blog post by the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero caught my eye. It's about the Dolphins believing they now have the division's best receivers. And it contained this tidbit:

"The Bills have Stevie Johnson, a very good No. 2 wide receiver, but they don't have a lot after him and, by the way, they think Johnson is a No. 1."

Common eye-roll troll, but another perspective nonetheless.

Link

Not at all... Steve Smith in Carolina is a prototype slot guy and the undisputed no1 in Carolina for eons. Same goes for A Reed then and Wes welker more recently at least with the pats the past several seasins.

Stevie is not in the same league withe those three guys. No chance. Stevie is probably a no. 2. He's a no 1 in our eyes b/c he's all we have and we are fans (fanatics). Can we just face that please.

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Agreed. Right now SJ is not even at Mould's level let alone Reed or Lofton. Just because he had 1000 yard receiving in three consecutive seasons means nothing. SJ has had very poor games in between. At this point, if someone does says SJ is our #2, I have no problems with it. Until SJ can be consistent, he will have to prove to be a #1.

To be a legit #1 WR all he has to be is one of the top 32 WRs in the league. Is there really anybody who doesn't think he is? Nobody is saying he's Calvin Johnson but he's a legit #1, even if he isn't in the upper echelon of those #1s.

To be a legit #1 WR all he has to be is one of the top 32 WRs in the league. Is there really anybody who doesn't think he is? Nobody is saying he's Calvin Johnson but he's a legit #1, even if he isn't in the upper echelon of those #1s.

This. Being a legit #1 wideout does not require one to be a superstar, HOF, top-5 WR. Just one of the top 32 in the league, and SJ is that and has shown it for >1 season.

Last year, SJ was #18 in the league with Fitz tossing to him. Mike Wallace was #32. I like Brandon Gibson, but 51 catches for <700 yds puts him at #45 in the league and that's about his best year. Keller was not > Chandler last year, though it is true we didn't have much behind SJ once Nelson got hurt. That was before we drafted 2 wideouts and signed a couple promising UDFA. So we'll see, this year.

Miami has a receiver that's better than SJ,and a receiving corps that's "best in the AFC east", when they prove they're "all that"

Until then, it's just talk....trash talk

Stevie is not in the same league withe those three guys. No chance. Stevie is probably a no. 2. He's a no 1 in our eyes b/c he's all we have and we are fans (fanatics). Can we just face that please.

What is a 2 vs a 1? Seriously... He is in the same league as those guys and it is called the NFL. The only objective way to measure WRs across a team and the league is production and contract. Stevie is firmly in group of WRs at the first position on all teams depth charts. If a#1 is an elite perennial probowler, he's not proven he's there, if a number 1 is the top wr on his his own team consistently in production and on the depth chart, then it is he, Three years running.

Also, this goes into the whole overvaluing of receivers in the first place. #1 wr with rings: Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Greg Jennings (best QB in the NFL), Nicks of the Giants, David Givens, Marques Colston, etc. HOF wrs without rings: TO, Moss, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, etc.

Is SJ good enough to be in the first category? Without a doubt. Receiver is a dependent position. Does SJ put up better #s with Aaron Rodgers? I'm guessing yes. I loved Fitz' attitude but what #1 receiver would have benefited by playing with him. Fitz struggles to accurately throw a pass 15 yards down the field.

Final point, why do some Bills work hard to bash our good players? It happened with Evans and Schobel. Now people are starting with the Williams brothers and SJ. People focus their energy on the wrong things.

Over the last 2 years:

WR A: 151 catches, 2209 yards, 12 TDS

WR B: 155 catches, 2059 yards, 13 TDS

One of them is Stevie Johnson and the other, no one would dispute is a number 1 (Larry Fitzgerald).

So who is the answer??? I'm dying over here!!! :pirate:

This is how I see the AFC East's Top 5 starting receivers in terms of overall talent:

Vets:

Stevie Johnson > Mike Wallace > Danny Amendola > Santonio Holmes > Brian Hartline

The advantage the Dolphins have is that other teams are relying heavy on young/rookie wide receivers. They have a solid vet in Brian Hartline. However, these young players don't need to be very good to bypass Hartline. Here is how I would rank the Top 5 young receivers in our division:

Robert Woods > Da'Rick Rogers > Aaron Dobson > Stephen Hill > TJ Graham

This is how I see the AFC East's Top 5 starting receivers in terms of overall talent:

Vets:

Stevie Johnson > Mike Wallace > Danny Amendola > Santonio Holmes > Brian Hartline

The advantage the Dolphins have is that other teams are relying heavy on young/rookie wide receivers. They have a solid vet in Brian Hartline. However, these young players don't need to be very good to bypass Hartline. Here is how I would rank the Top 5 young receivers in our division:

Robert Woods > Da'Rick Rogers > Aaron Dobson > Stephen Hill > TJ Graham

It's also a transition for free agents to a new team too. Tannehill and Miami is a huge dropoff from Big Ben and Pittsburgh for Wallace.

That said, Hartline would be a very good #3 wr but I love him as one of their top 2 guys. The Bills completely shut him down last year and he isn't a redzone threat.

I'll ask you, just like everyone else that says this, to justify your stance with some type of fact.

It's yet to be done...by anyone.

I'll ask you, just like everyone else that says this, to justify your stance with some type of fact.

It's yet to be done...by anyone.

Facts have no place on the internet...plenty of data shows that....

Edited by MOFO

I disagree. I think a lot of teams don't have #1 receivers, which is a type more than a simple ranking slot ranging between 1 and 32. A #1 is a guy who consistently beats single coverage, is strong enough to go across the middle and make plays, is acrobatic enough to make the hard catches, runs great routes, and -- most importantly -- is a home run threat on top of all of this. In other words, the guys you need to gameplan against. Johnson is a number of these things, but he's not a home run threat. True #1s are guys like Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Steve Smith (in his prime) - big enough to overpower DBs, fast enough to beat guys deep, and strong enough to make the medium range catches and get YAC. (Smith is an outlier here because he's not tall, but he's incredibly strong and athletic.) A younger version is Julio Jones: http://www.pro-footb...J/JoneJu02.htm. The numbers bear it out for those guys. In non-injured years, they get between 1300-1600 yards. Stevie is a very good player, but he's not that guy.

Edited by dave mcbride

I disagree. I think a lot of teams don't have #1 receivers, which is a type more than a simple ranking slot ranging between 1 and 32. A #1 is a guy who consistently beats single coverage, is strong enough to go across the middle and make plays, is acrobatic enough to make the hard catches, runs great routes, and -- most importantly -- is a home run threat on top of all of this. In other words, the guys you need to gameplan against. Johnson is a number of these things, but he's not a home run threat. True #1s are guys like Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Steve Smith (in his prime) - big enough to overpower DBs, fast enough to beat guys deep, and strong enough to make the medium range catches and get YAC. (Smith is an outlier here because he's not tall, but he's incredibly strong and athletic.) A younger version is Julio Jones: http://www.pro-footb...J/JoneJu02.htm. The numbers bear it out for those guys. In non-injured years, they get between 1300-1600 yards. Stevie is a very good player, but he's not that guy.

If that's how you define it you need to come up with a better title for it because a "#1 WR" is simply a guy who is the best WR on his team - that's it. A "legit #1 WR" would therefore be one of the top 32 guys in the league. I think what you mean to say is "elite." And no, Stevie is not elite.

By that reasoning, Fitz must have been a legit starting QB since he was one of 32 as well...

That's not quite the same thing and you know it. All quality WRs get on the field as there are 3-4 on each team who see significant action. The same can't be said of QBs when only one starts.

That being said, yeah, I'd say Fitz is a legit starter as I don't think there are 32 better QBs in the league than him. He's not a quality starter though.