Miami writer: Stevie Johnson's a No. 2

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Lets switch QBs to even things up. Who's production is more likely to change?

SJ gets open every play. He's not Calvin, AJ, or Fitz but he is a damn good wr. I'd love to hear this writers opinion on mike Wallace, who makes more $ than SJ & was the 2nd best wr on the Steelers.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the article is OK. With the Bills, just a lot of potential right now with who they got in the draft and FA. Plus the writer is smart enough to say those receivers mean nothing if Tannehill can't get them the ball

Agreed. Only in May does anyone rank WR cores in the division. Who cares.

Wow give me a break. SJ may have been #3 behind Reed Lofton and possibly behind Beebe.

Now that's just crazy talk.

If you really think Beebe is better than Stevie Johnson then you are on a whole different level of crazy and I don't know why I even bother arguing this with you.

Or Moulds or probably a half dozen other guys. Good thing for Beebe nobody remembers him dropping TD's vs the Redskins due to A) the Lett play the following year and B) Reed's (imo understandable) outburst at the blind official in the same game.

Lets switch QBs to even things up. Who's production is more likely to change?

SJ gets open every play. He's not Calvin, AJ, or Fitz but he is a damn good wr. I'd love to hear this writers opinion on mike Wallace, who makes more $ than SJ & was the 2nd best wr on the Steelers.

Totally agree and I'd bet that this writer thinks that Wallace is a number 1. He's no more a 1 than Stevie. Wallace doesn't get you the tough catch on 3rd and 6 or the TD and a slick move from the 4 yard line. Stevie with his ridiculous moves just does things that other WR's can't do, and thats what gives Revis fits. Edited by todzilla

Johnson does some things VERY well - his style of play is extremely valuable. Sure, he doesn't fit into the stereotypical #1 mold of very tall, very fast, go up and get the jump deep ball category, but if a team is lining up 2 WR's on the field with a couple TE's, or a TE and a few RB's, Stevie belongs on the field with another WR.

The whole catagorization of WR's into roles is becoming outdated. Look at the Patriots - it's no doubt who their #1 WR has been over the last 3-5 years, and he's no longer there, but Welker doesn't fit that traditional type, and the Pats regularly field the best offense in the league.

Our Bills are going to be molding their style of offense after the Saints - in regards to having a bunch of WR's who are ALL FAST, ALL capable of running INTERCHANGEABLE routes. The point is, when Buffalo lines up, the defense isn't going to know whether Stevie, Robert Woods, Rogers, Graham, or even Easley or Goodwin, are running specific routes - which will force the defense to cover, or pay equal attention, to everyone. That was the key to the Saints potent offense those recent years, that all of their recievers were capable of hurting a defense, and a QB who could get them the ball.

If Easley finally shows up, or Woods, Rogers, Graham, and Goodwin produce, we could have 2 to 4 WR's capable of putting up between 800 and 1000 yards. I'll take that type of diversity over one 1400 yard WR any day. Point: what some see as a weakness will be a strength of the Bills.

Edited by KeisterHollow

Not at all... Steve Smith in Carolina is a prototype slot guy and the undisputed no1 in Carolina for eons. Same goes for A Reed then and Wes welker more recently at least with the pats the past several seasins.

Being Number One by default doesn't make you a #1 by my broadest of definitions (i.e., repeatedly being a difference maker when the game is on the line). Or in Buddy-speak, being a guy who's open, even when he's covered.

Steve Smith has been one of my favorite players for a long time. But like Johnson, his value to the team hinges greatly on the lack of talent at the other WR spots, IMO. Reed was a difference maker, and so is Welker--so by my definition, they're both clearly #1s...

Yes, lets have this discussion again. Math dictates SJ is a number one receiver. By any other definition there are only ~10 "number 1" receivers in the league.

Anyone who cares to disagree, please take it up with math or present your contorted semantic argument.

if you can find around 25 teams with a definitively better WR then fine, he isn't a #1. but it's just a position, not a statement of greatness or being elite. if he is the guy the Bills use as their #1, that is the #1 target on majority of plays and such, and capably does the job, he's a #1.

and btw, if Bills don't have a #1 then how do the Dolphins? Wallace was #2 in 2010 behind Ward despite having more yards. in 2011 and 2012 maybe he was and got the same # of yards as Johnson.

Forgive me if this has already been posted -- it's a day old.

This blog post by the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero caught my eye. It's about the Dolphins believing they now have the division's best receivers. And it contained this tidbit:

"The Bills have Stevie Johnson, a very good No. 2 wide receiver, but they don't have a lot after him and, by the way, they think Johnson is a No. 1."

Common eye-roll troll, but another perspective nonetheless.

Link

He used to beat Revis and not considered a #1? That sounds like #1 skill to me. Revis is considered one of the best corners in the NFL.

if you can find around 25 teams with a definitively better WR then fine, he isn't a #1. but it's just a position, not a statement of greatness or being elite. if he is the guy the Bills use as their #1, that is the #1 target on majority of plays and such, and capably does the job, he's a #1.

and btw, if Bills don't have a #1 then how do the Dolphins? Wallace was #2 in 2010 behind Ward despite having more yards. in 2011 and 2012 maybe he was and got the same # of yards as Johnson.

I think the logic is that two No. 2s are better than one debated No. 1 with little depth at the position. But that's an assumption.

Whatever. No. 1. No. 2.

He's solid in short and immediate ranges. Elite in terms of route running/elusiveness, actually above average in drops (check the stats...despite the big ones he's dropped) and a little below average in speed. Regardless he's above average overall and I'm glad he's on the team.

I don't put Loften there either because of the short tenure. I certainly think Eric Moulds was better than what Stevie has done so far. Moulds was that typical #1 beast type of WR and the next best after Reed for me. I'm a fan of SJ for sure, and if he puts up 5 or 6 more good years than he can be in the discussion with Reed and Moulds.

well said and this I agree with 200%

Who cares. How many Superbowls have Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald won? Elite wideouts don't win you championships. QB's do. I'd rather worry about EJ being the real thing instead of debating which caliber of wideout Stevie is.

Who cares. How many Superbowls have Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald won? Elite wideouts don't win you championships. QB's do. I'd rather worry about EJ being the real thing instead of debating which caliber of wideout Stevie is.

Amen...

thats it. I officially just threw up in my mouth.

that makes two of us...he certainly lit it up in the ATL...

Then you should get over to one of the EJ threads...