Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not judging anyone here. I'm just saying I don't get much out of the reports. And I don't believe we can really tell all that much from them. But my opinion is not an indictment of anyone that does. I'm glad you and others do. More power to you. Have a blast.

GO BILLS!!!

I enjoy reading about players doing well and I think a fan can learn a lot. Marrone, today, made special mention of how pleased he was with the progress and play of Kiko Alonzo. I think that says a lot about his chances with this team. Buffalo has drafted players in past years that received no coach's comment during training and those players often have turned out to be nothing worth talking about.

Wake me when they put the pads on and strap on the helmets. Other than depth charts, alignments, and play designs, there is absolutely NOTHIING to be learned from players running around in shorts and playing a pussified game of touch football.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm reserving my excitement until sometime in September.

"Kolb managed to elude a rush and improvise a quick-thinking throw over the middle to Fred Jackson for a gain of about 25 yards on a third-down play. After that, Pettine dialed up four straight blitzes and ended the series with four straight sacks."

Oh my. :)

I really hope our defense is THAT amazing, and not our offensive line being a mess. :D

I've been thinking this for some time now and almost started a thread on it.

While it's obviously beneficial for the defense to get immediately up to speed with Pettine's aggressive and unpredictable style, I'm questioning how beneficial it is for the offense to get their asses handed to them every day. Especially a young offense in need of successful reps to build upon.

Just a thought.

My opinion from an oline perspective: Facing blitzes without lowers on, let alone no pads at all, is BS and really all that is gained out of it is positioning. A one-on-one battle against a guy with a 3 yard running start who you can't go low on gives you little opportunity at success. Also, without shoulder pads on it gives you nothing to grab onto with inside hand position. Futher putting them at a disadvantage even in non blitzing situations.

I agree and yet the "sacks" serve to end a lot of plays where the offense might get some good reps from.

Nathaniel Hackett in his presser yesterday said basically what you said when talking about Cordy Glenn. The O-linemen can't jolt and punch defenders so it's not really indicative of much. He said that the main thing he's looking at with all the blitzing is that the O-linemen have their footwork down correctly, that they're moving in the right direction and using the right techniques.

i cannot contain my excitement until september. the only thing holding me back right now from screaming "19-0 baby!" is the copyright law...oh crap, i think i owe the senator a quarter.

Yes, you do.

He gets royalties.

Been watching the highlights and seeing a lot of nice plays by Nickell Robey a very underrated UDFA signing. I really think he's going to be a productive player for this defense, he was a team captain at USC and certainly would have been drafted and perhaps pretty high if he wasn't so short. But that doesn't seem to be a problem for him!

tempCM1_5708--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

You know, going over some of those highlights, I have to say that Kolb is looking really good. I know people want Manuel to start, but if Kolb looks really good in training camp and starts winning, would we really object to him starting?

You're going to get very mixed replies, but I'd be very ok with Kolb starting if he earns it. I'm cautiously optomistic that he can be a quality NFL QB. Staying healthy throughout the year is another question...

You're going to get very mixed replies, but I'd be very ok with Kolb starting if he earns it. I'm cautiously optomistic that he can be a quality NFL QB. Staying healthy throughout the year is another question...

That's true about Kolb being injured. I mean, I hate to look at a guy and say "Yeah, he's going to be injured", but let's look at Stevie and Wood? Is it crazy to say that neither will be injured for any length of time this season? But it might actually work alright if Manuel has gotten a few weeks to get used to the pace, hold a clipboard and then get his chance to shine.

According to Chris Brown's article

Tight end touchdowns

Of the four touchdowns thrown by Bills quarterbacks Thursday, three of them went to tight ends. Mike Caussinicon-article-link.gif made a quality over the shoulder grab in the left corner of the end zone for a touchdown on a pass from Kolb.

Rookie Chris Graggicon-article-link.gif scored on the same exact play a short time later. He also scored on a quick hitter over the middle on a pass from Manuel for his second scoring play.

The question this brings up to me is were these just good plays showing the potential of the TEs, or does the fact that 3 of 4 touchdowns scored by the offense were by TEs show a possible pattern that there is a certain situational vulnerability in Pettine's defensive scheme that needs to be corrected before some smart coaches like Belichick recognize and exploit it in a game situation?

Edited by simpleman

You know, going over some of those highlights, I have to say that Kolb is looking really good. I know people want Manuel to start, but if Kolb looks really good in training camp and starts winning, would we really object to him starting?

If he truly wins the job it is what it is. I'd expect a 4-year vet to be ahead of a rookie at this stage, but I'm still holding out hope Manuel turns it on at training camp. Kolb really holds the ball -- if you have been reading the OTA and minicamp reports closely, it's Kolb who has taken a ton of these "sacks." In a few of the videos I've watched he really does take a lot of time to get rid of the ball.

I read an article by a Toronto writer this morning (linked on TBD front page) that said Kolb has looked awful on deep throws.

I don't dislike Kolb and thought he was a solid signing, but I really want Manuel's career to start sooner rather than later.

QB situation according to ESPN article:

"Everything's open," Hackett noted Wednesday. "To be able to put anything down on paper would be -- I'd be lying to you. I think right now it's just about getting them reps and getting them better every day. And I think with those extra reps [after quarterback Tavaris Jackson was released Tuesday], that's going to dramatically help them both ... At some point, some way, [one] will separate."

Edited by buffaloaggie

Been watching the highlights and seeing a lot of nice plays by Nickell Robey a very underrated UDFA signing. I really think he's going to be a productive player for this defense, he was a team captain at USC and certainly would have been drafted and perhaps pretty high if he wasn't so short. But that doesn't seem to be a problem for him!

tempCM1_5708--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

A secondary question about that picture... Why is there a ref in the background? Do they have OTAs as well and go to NFL practices to keep their eyes sharp or something?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/13/kevin-kolb-or-ej-manuel-bills-still-deciding

Not exactly an endorsement.